Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2018 10:45:27 PM EDT
I picked it up years ago, it's CAI marked on the front barrel but all of the numbers match including the wood except the bottom metal, that doesn't seem to match.

Shooting it at the range, another shooter told me that AR marked is pretty rare for that year and not many were made.
He thinks I can get up to 2000 on it to the right collector.

He suggested I shouldn't shoot it.

It shoots great with Hornady ammo.

Not really into collecting and shooting it if it ruins the value on it.

Was thinking of horse trading it for a K31 and a shooter grade but still collectible K98 like a traditional series like BYF.

All is correct for it minus the cleaning rod that is missing.

No sight hood also and a solid metal butt on it.

Attachment Attached File

is he correct or just blowing smoke up my butt.

Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Need more pictures.

NOT worth up to 2000, more like 500 to 800, and that is dependent on the stock condition and how badly one would want an AR 41. Sounds like an older Romanian import. Does the bolt, and everything in the bolt match also?

That picture isn't yours is it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not my picture..... was trying to upload mines and I found that after talking to the older gentleman, but yeah the bolts match the receiver.

732 all around.

can't seem to lessen the photo size.

Working on it.

BTW he was shooting a those swiss 1911 whatever or k31....something.....

bah.....bore is shiny and I've always kept it oiled. It seems happy with the hornady match vintage..

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/8x57-js-196gr-bthp-vintage-match#!/

Stock is kinda iffy all around.....

bah......whatever..I'll just keep shooting it...if its worthless..it's worthless.

For me...hitting the 12 inch gong at 250 yards with iron sights is fine for and brings me happiness.

He did say I could do a scout scope clone whatever on it and it would be period correct?

http://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/the-first-scout-germanys-karabiner-98k/329722#
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't say it was worthless, but definitely worth more than the average russian capture. IMHO, I'd shoot it and take care of it. You aren't devaluing it by shooting it and taking care of it.

I've got a repro zf-41 scope and mount that works pretty well on one of my r/c's. You can get that set up here:

repro scope

mount

adj tools
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
ar 41's (Mauser Borsigwalde) aren't all that rare...but if the rifle was ALL matching, including bottom metal (I assume you mean trigger guard and floorplate), it could be worth $2k and up these days....

But if the trigger guard and floorplate are mismatched it isn't worth nearly that....likely around $750 to $1k would be around what you could get for it.

It is still a good collectible gun.

Don't mess it up trying to put on a fake ZF-41 on it. Number 1, they really kind of suck, only 1.5 power, and they are not sniper rifles, meant to be more a squad designated marksman type rifle. They are almost impossible to line up correctly in relation to the axis of the bore, so usually difficult to sight in, sometimes you won't even to get it on paper. And if the repro scopes have the same optical adjustment as the originals, you need three hands to adjust it....

Its fine to play around with it on an RC, but I wouldn't mess with it on a substantially matching non-RC rifle...

I have a real one...it looks cool, but not very good for practical purposes....
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Trigger guard matches...

its the floorplate number that doesn't match but it is not stamped....

Everything else matches.....

its just the floorplate...itself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trigger guard matches...

its the floorplate number that doesn't match but it is not stamped....

Everything else matches.....

its just the floorplate...itself.
View Quote
Well, that does change things, an un-numbered floorplate COULD be an armorers replacement, any WaA's on it?

Floorplate mismatches are somewhat common, thought to be due to the making of surrendering Germans to drop the floorplates to empty the mag quickly and all at once (so the story goes....

In any case one of the more common types of mismatches....

That ups the anty a bit, if all other parts are truly matched and correct....

I would NOT mess with it in any way....post up decent pics of all numbers, and some overall shots would be very helpful in evaluating....
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just shy of 122,000 made at Borsigwalde in 1941 according to Ralph Riccio.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top