User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm jumping in here a little late... but it seems like the advantages are being pointed out to you, and you're dismissing them.

We can throw around jargon all we want--but seeing two slightly different images in either eye is going to have an effect on depth perception. It's a slightly silly exercise that doesn't necessarily prove anything on its own--but can you do "Magic Eye" or other stereograms?

Try it with binos, and then try it with a set of PVS-7s... you can resolve the image through NVDs with binos because you're replicating stereoscopic vision, you can't with PVS-7s because you're seeing an identical image in both eyes.

The thing to understand about the PVS-7 is that they were invented literally because the Army thought that Infantrymen weren't worth the cost of two tubes. The old PVS-5s were binocular devices, and no one didn't think that binoculars were better--but the thought was that Infantrymen could "get away" with a single tube and cut the cost of NVDs in half, which had its pros and cons--the big pro being the ability to equip more personnel with night vision, the PVS-14 was in turn designed to offer a better solution to the "one tube conceit" that had been established by the PVS-7.

Something to consider is that aviators have never used single tube systems, they're moving faster, and dealing with more complex spatial relationships, one has to ask oneself, "why is that?"

The question to ask, especially when spending your own money, and not the government's is to look at what folks who don't have to ask "how much" are using and why, rather than the folks who are asking "what can we get away with?" This is not to say we're not all going to be able to afford what those guys are using, but tracing their reasoning back to the source can help you better interrogate your own needs.

So, I've been preaching what makes binos better than bioculars, and many may say "sure, duh, they cost upwards of 5-6 times as much as 7s, but what makes 14s better than 7s" besides the weight/form factor?

So here goes:

In all but the darkest of conditions, the PVS-14 will give you superior depth perception because your unaided eye is still processing some information, though you may not be fully conscious of it.

The manual gain controls which allow you to adjust the brightness of the tube will in fact be a great aid in ensuring that you pick up as much supplementary information as possible without your brain being "overwhelmed" by the sensory information from your NV aided eye.

In conditions so dark that you can't pick up any supplementary information, using a single tube, you're essentially "on par" with a PVS-7 for depth perception.

Nevertheless, some people report the PVS-7s to be comfortable or generally "friendlier" than PVS-14s, what's that all about?

IMHO and IME--it's because the PVS-7s are tricking your brain.

To a certain extent, this goes back to why the Army thought that PVS-7s were a good idea in the first place, coming off of dual tube goggles.

What PVS-7s do is to give both of your eyes an aided NV view through a single, center-mounted tube.

You are not a cyclops, and your brain has not evolved to process information like a cyclops.

So when you see the split image in front of your eyes, regardless of what you may know about the device intellectually, your brain processes the information as if it was normal stereoscopic vision, because that's the way it's used to processing information.

That is to say, your brain "thinks" it's seeing two different images, and tells the rest of your body that "everything's cool, we can see like normal."

Because of this, you "feel" more comfortable--and more confident while wearing them.

But this is a false sense of confidence, because you do not in fact have the quality of information that your brain thinks you have.

This ultimately leads to more injuries and more struggles with movement--I have seen more people take spills, small and large, over relatively easy terrain using PVS-7s than I ever have with PVS-14s or BNVDs. This is because they feel more confident than they "should" be, and they process the information being given to them by their goggles as if it was stereoscopic vision, but it's not, which ultimately leads to more miscalculations, misplaced steps, etc. I've run full tilt into a ditch that I didn't see while wearing PVS-7s, it's not as though I haven't spent time under them--I learned to be a Platoon Leader using them.

Now, if you're moving slowly, over fairly familiar and uncomplex terrain, PVS-7s can be fine--for slow and deliberate movements like those of the Cold War Infantry, using NVDs to move to Patrol Bases or lay in ambushes in the woods, or defending a strong point, full well knowing that when shit "popped off" they were going to fire illum, pop the Claymores, and turn night into day, as conduct your assault/ambush without NVDs, 7s will do you just fine.

Where 7s begin to show their issues (again, besides simple size and weight, which ultimately we accept again when we decide to use true BNVDs) is during the much faster-paced, moving engagements that have begun to more typify Infantry engagements in modern operating environments--even moving through a city with something as simple as curbs on the streets present a much larger problem when you don't have any depth perception--but your brain thinks it does.

The thing that makes PVS-14s less comfortable for many people, and "harder to use" is in fact precisely what makes them "better," as they force you to learn a new way of processing information and your environment to develop a learned depth perception, but that once learned, is remarkably effective--whereas PVS-7s essentially allow you to "fake the funk" by tricking yourself into believing that the information you're receiving and processing is "normal," making them seem easier to use at first, but in fact putting you at a distinct disadvantage to someone using a PVS-14.

~Augee
View Quote
The depth perception is no different than my set of bino, so the difference of 5K+ in price is not worth it for the same ability. Sorry but the cool factor of binos doesn't equal the cost. Just like WP tubes some just don't get the warm and fuzzy felling that others tout to justify the money spent.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don’t want to seem like the asshole who’s sitting here saying if all you have is PVS-7s, you’re not worthy of speaking, or that you’re definitely going to die.

Having NV is better than not having an NV, training trumps equipment, and a Gen. 3 PVS-7 is not a bad entry on a tight budget compared to the other options within the price range, especially on the secondhand market.

That being said—I do feel that the PVS-7 has limitations relative to the PVS-14, and there’s a reason it has been superceded for fighting use (yes, I know that PVS-7s are still in service, but those are almost entirely in support units, not combat arms units).

As long as you understand those limitations as an informed consumer/user, and if it works for you within your budget and for your purposes, then there’s no reason not to have one or use one.

~Augee
View Quote
I couldn't agree more the 14 for me has an advantage tactically, but the 7s and binos have the same limitations.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are buying new don’t be crazy get a 14.  That is where the market has shifted and rightly so.  No better deal than a used 7.  It will get you out there killing stuff cheap.  Started with a 7 that had a huge blemish for 850, got me going and was lethal.   Then upgraded to a great 7 for 1500.  Sold the first for a grand and bought a 15.  Nobody would trade a great 14 for a great 7,  it would be a downgrade.   But you can get a lot of NV for the money with a 7 and get your money back when you upgrade in most cases. Get a 1500 or less 7 and focus on other important things like a nice helmet that will last no matter what nv you run.  Or a nice laser.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If it’s not worth it to you, then that’s a perfectly valid point of view.

That’s not the same thing as saying that there’s no difference or no advantage, or inplying that it’s all about “cool factor.”

In terms of getting a “warm and fuzzy” to justify money spent, most of my time with NVDs and sensors systems has still been with issued systems that I spent no personal money on. I bought personal duals before becoming a part of the industry because I already knew the advantages, I didn’t just buy duals because someone told me they were better, and come up with reasons to justify my purchase after the fact.

Again, if they’re not worth it to you, there’s nothing wrong with that. Even among NV-users, not everyone is doing the same things with their NV, and not everyone needs all the capabilites, or even, as Sam says, “all the FOMs.”

But again, saying “it’s not worth it to me” is not the same thing as saying “they’re the same.”

I’ve got it, you think people overpay for glorified toys and that companies overcharge for marginal increases in capability. You’re welcome to that opinion, and in many cases, may not even be wrong.

“Value” is relative to everyone, so you’re tilting at windmills by arguing whether something is “worth it,” while claiming that something that doesn’t have the same ability does, when what you much more likely mean it doesn’t make a practical difference for you.

~Augee
View Quote
If you want to argue semantics and try to put a spin on what I said to verify you pushing 7K + duals continue to spread "Fake News". Again the difference between my duals and my PVS7 in depth perception "to me" as I have always stated it makes no difference "to me". It does have the same ability "to me", others that have posted in this thread and hopefully it will help someone make an informed decision. For you to keep claiming that duals have a special ability to see better magical depth perception "for you" but again not "for me"
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#7]
i have used dual tube and pvs7 alot and i find the time the duals win is driving in tight corners around trees or walls - if you are moving its not so bad even with single tube but if you have to stop and stert then its very hard to see the distance to a wall or tree in front especially if you are weaving round corners etc. thats when the dual tube makes all the difference and its easy to see the distance from the front corner of the truck to the wall, more importantly - even before you move - once moving then the single tube work ok, its not a massive difference but when you need that little extra depth perception its invaluable , i love the 7's fro 90% of the time
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top