Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2021 4:14:56 AM EDT
I am in the process of doing a quick rattle can on a hunting 6.5 Grendel. If i pain the grip and stock with rattle can will the surface get sticky or tacky on my face and hands on hot days? I dont care if it wears i just dont want it to be gummy or sticky. I could skip painting the grip or stock or just paint it all and strip it off where my cheek sits. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#1]
No it won't, just degrease it real quick and let it actually dry.   It can be 110 I the shade and 100000 % humidity I paint like everything I have with Krylon rust-oleum and Aervoe.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Rattlecan Rule 1: If it's hard, paint will dry hard. If it's rubbery, it will be sticky.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rattlecan Rule 1: If it's hard, paint will dry hard. If it's rubbery, it will be sticky.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/153820/20210321_091105-1879797.jpg
View Quote

@Creature what Aervoe color is that?  I remember you mentioning the color in a another thread but I can’t find it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Creature what Aervoe color is that?  I remember you mentioning the color in a another thread but I can’t find it.
View Quote

@india13c

Olive Drab FLAT (34087) 987A.
Good stuff. Work very well in most of North America. Even the high desert of SoCal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
@Creature

Perfect, thank you!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't have any problems with Rustoleum but the Aervoe was sticky on my Hogue grip and ladder rail covers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Just used Aervoe to make my bcm grip darker. Put several coats and it was sticky for about a day and half. It's not sticky at all now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Painted several over the years.

Only issue I've seen with krylon is it'll fade somewhat if you get carb cleaner on it.  And, don't wipe the surface when wet with brake cleaner.  

Nothing got sticky on mine with the paint on the stocks, grips, receivers, handguards, free float tubes, barrels, buffer tubes, etc.

I wipe/wash twice with alcohol and microfiber towels prior to painting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just used Aervoe to make my bcm grip darker. Put several coats and it was sticky for about a day and half. It's not sticky at all now.
View Quote

Yes. You absolutely must let Aervoe cure. The longer, the better.

But once it does cure, its decently tough...tougher than Krylon or Rustoleum.

BCM grips are hard plastic, so they take paint well. If it's rubbery or flexible, it won't take paint well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm dealing with this right now on a freshly painted rifle pistol. SBA3 and my ergo grip are sticky. I will be hitting it with a heat gun every day to see if I can get it to cure.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm dealing with this right now on a freshly painted rifle pistol. SBA3 and my ergo grip are sticky. I will be hitting it with a heat gun every day to see if I can get it to cure.
View Quote

Only time. This is the way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Only time. This is the way.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Aervoe is vastly superior to Krylon and Rustoleum. Make sure it cures well as mentioned.

Rustoleum turned into a toxic paste when my Slip 2K got on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top