[#6]
God Almighty...
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have auctioned it if I were the seller.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'd cry if you were told.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazing.

Need more pics.

What did that cost in 1985?
You'd cry if you were told.
It's hard to imagine this today, before the MG ban, no one wanted them!
almost no one wanted black guns of any kind, they were all poor sellers.

I think the combo of the govt. trying to ban everything & all those big budget Arnold Schwarzenegger movies + the advent of video games created the demand for them that we now see.
In other words the Idiot commies in Hollywood & DC are responsible for the marketing that created the demand for the guns everyone is buying today. Irony at it's best!

Bigbore, Beautiful gun if I was in Free America I'd be hard pressed not to call you & make an offer!
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I think he could get more than $30k to the right collector.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my first Colt M16A1 in 1985 from a fellow Guardsmen in my unit. He had fired 1 magazine through it prior to selling it to me. $350.00
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought my first Colt M16A1 in 1985 from a fellow Guardsmen in my unit. He had fired 1 magazine through it prior to selling it to me. $350.00
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Im a Millennial so these were before my time, but you old heads should be ashamed that you don't have one of these
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The first gun that I ever wanted was an M16A1. I was just a kid, but I saw them in Hamburger Hill, and immediately wanted one.

Very nice score, OP.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#18]
A friend had one with similar providence in the late 80's.

All Colt, and picked up at the C3 distributor here in town.

He was shooting his own reloads, and had a squib.
Blew out the mag, and stretched the magwell.

Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The owner wants $30K, which I dont think is unreasonable.  Hard to price something in this package that I have never seen before.  You have the original box and the buyer will get a copy of his form 4 showing it went from Colt, to his dealer, to the current owner. A verifiable 1 owner M16A1.
View Quote
Very nice. It’s worth what someone will pay for it.  I’m sure the new owner will be happy and proud.  Some of us buy shooters, some of us buy history.  It’s a big tent.  I can’t say I understand owning something and not shooting it. I suppose sometimes the pedigree of a well worn item carries more interest than a pristine item; sometimes the frozen-in-time item is a jewel, it’s all good.  Thanks for sharing the rare unicorn.  Cheers to the aficionado who ponies up and rides off into the sunset...
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#20]
A shooting buddy with FFL SOT back in the mid 80's prior to 5/86.  Ordered the allotted 2 Colt dealer samples.  They were drop shipped from Colt.  The CAR never showed up.  So a trace was done. It was found in the dead letter/package facility of the USPS.  I think that was down in Atlanta, GA.  Then it was returned to Colt, and then sent again.  The funny thing about the 2 guns was anodizing was mismatched.  The rifle lower matched with the CAR upper and vice versa.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I would "ALMOST" hate to own this rifle.  Knowing that it would be a sin to take it out and play with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m always amazed when I see NIB guns like that..
I was extremely surprised by the amount of NIB m16a1 that flooded the European market a few years ago..
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Very nice!

Thanks for the photos.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would "ALMOST" hate to own this rifle.  Knowing that it would be a sin to take it out and play with it.
View Quote
I would shoot it. :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did!
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#27]
That’s a beauty.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had the money for it, I would shoot it. It would be so weird though. It would be like when you lost your virginity. Something you’ve always wanted. Something that you want more than anything in the world. Something that you are so nervous and awkward about that you can’t even think straight or act normal about. Something that you’re never going to forget.

I would definitely shoot it, and love every single moment of it.

I had better go buy some lottery tickets. ??

You should do a gun auction. Sell $40,000 in tickets for it.  Do it in $50, or $100 tickets.  I’d probably buy $100 worth to have a 1/400 chance at it. Seller gets his $30k, you get $10k ????????. You could probably sell quite a few on here alone.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If I had the money for it, I would shoot it. It would be so weird though. It would be like when you lost your virginity. Something you’ve always wanted. Something that you want more than anything in the world. Something that you are so nervous and awkward about that you can’t even think straight or act normal about. Something that you’re never going to forget.

I would definitely shoot it, and love every single moment of it.

I had better go buy some lottery tickets. ??

You should do a gun auction. Sell $40,000 in tickets for it.  Do it in $50, or $100 tickets.  I’d probably buy $100 worth to have a 1/400 chance at it. Seller gets his $30k, you get $10k ????????. You could probably sell quite a few on here alone.
View Quote
Didn’t feel weird at all.  And certainly wasn’t as good as what your comparing it too

These were not meant to sit in cardboard boxes.  They are tools.  These were not display pieces, they are not custom firearms, they were mass produced(not in perfect spec, as most would believe,  by the way).  Owners bought them for reasons, and some never bothered with them after buying.

The original owner I bought mine from knew I was going to be shooting it and was happy for me.  
My particular rifle just waited a few decades to do what it was always supposed to do(put rounds down range).

I did enjoy cleaning the original dry lube off of the receiver, and stripping all of the original parts from it.  I did dress it back up in all new colt parts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#30]
WOW
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I understand the feeling, but the gun was made to shoot.  My brother bought a really nice Colt Commander and lamenting how he didn't want to shoot it.  I told him that he could get some enjoyment out of shooting it, or someday his future son-in-law would.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Not to be a Debbie Downer or stir the pot (plus with the added benefit of 20/20 hindsight), the original owner didn't make a good financial decision by not shooting it and extracting the non-monetary value.  For example, if he took the $1K investment and just put it in the S&P 500 he would have $33,338.81 now.  If he shot the crap out of it until the great recession of 2008, then sold it for $15K (price back then), and then put that money into the S&P 500, he would have got to shoot it for 23 years AND pocket $43,967.90. Timing is everything.

That being said, there is no price you can put on the pride of ownership for certain things.

v/r,
Esox
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Congrats OP, I too just purchased an unfired M16a1.  Now for the long wait.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think he could get more than $30k to the right collector.
View Quote
isnt a reg old m16 going for like 25k? I would have assumed this would be 40-50 easy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Amazing.

Need more pics.

View Quote
I considered one at the time but was worried about a good place to shoot it and ammo cost.
If I remember correctly they were $525 or so,not sure if that was street price or list?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Very cool.

My dream gun is a new in box M16A2 marked "Safe, Semi, Auto". I've only come across one and it was listed for $40k

Hard to justify that kind of price when you can get a non-colt RR for under $20k, which is functionally identical, and physically indistinguishable if you are standing more than a few feet away.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Cool find, that’s awesome!  Someone is lucky to own that thing!

I purchased my colt carbine m16a1 3 yrs ago from a dealer that brokered the deal from the original dealer that owned it since 1977.  The brokering dealer knew the previous dealer and it was only fired a couple magazines worth.  It sat in the original dealers safe ever since it was transfered from colt.  Granted mine wasnt unfired, no original box or magazine.  I am the 2nd verifiable owner but also the 1st non dealer owner.  I have the original form 3 from colt, it was cool to be able to get that form with it.  It was the longest nfa wait ever, especially since it had to be transferred via form 4 to the dealer I work for at the time.  The m16 was part of a 10yr old estate needing to be closed.  It was the last thing that needed to be liquidated in order to close the estate out.  During that time the deceased’s ffl was not maintained (Something about being part of the deceased ffl’s estate) so the nfa branch would not let us do a form 3 to my dealer.  Luckily it only took a little over a month to get the form 4 approved to my dealer, then another 5 1/2 months to me. Well worth the hasle though and the estate ended up paying for one of the form 4.  I’ve only fired 200 rounds through it since, Ive been so busy that the last couple times Ive been shooting I havent taken it out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#40]
this post is awesome,
Congrats OP!!! Great find and I wonder how many more are sitting around. Shew!
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Less than $1K w/transfer tax.
View Quote
Sir I just sent you an email with whatever address is tied to your account, just wanted to make sure it went through.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#42]
I shot one of those in basic training not a big deal.  I've fired thousands of rounds for  uncle Sam.  Buying a machine gun is not on my list of things to buy.  For that money you can buy a few  top notch AR with scopes and great triggers and thousands of rounds of good ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I shot one of those in basic training not a big deal.  I've fired thousands of rounds for  uncle Sam.  Buying a machine gun is not on my list of things to buy.  For that money you can buy a few  top notch AR with scopes and great triggers and thousands of rounds of good ammunition.
View Quote
Then why are you posting in the NFA- M16 section?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who knows what the future market will hold for transferables, but an appreciating asset held from 10-15 years will pay for the ammo fired through it and the depreciating top notch ARs, optics, and their ammo, with profit to spare after recouping principle.  I’ve regretted every deal I walked away from on transferables because of some opportunity cost argument that in hind sight wasn’t objectively well considered.  I agree though that if buying an expensive toy keeps you from things you enjoy then that’s a big opportunity cost that shouldn’t be discounted.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Absolutely insane how cheap mg's were before the ban.

Here's to hoping one day "they" get rid of FOPA and I can own one of these puppies.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 3:48:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
email me direct [email protected]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir I just sent you an email with whatever address is tied to your account, just wanted to make sure it went through.
email me direct [email protected]
I sent you one directly as well
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Amazing.

Need more pics.

View Quote
Probably $500 plus a $200 tax stamp.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top