Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2018 4:42:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Details?

There's a bunch of different accessories you could add to your new gun. Personally the only thing I think is really worth the money for what you get is the 2020 TSM sear. Other stuff that people seem to like I've listed below, but probably left out some stuff. The reality of the AUG is that it doesn't need a bunch of accessories to make it useable, it works well as is.

Congratulations on your purchase. AUG's are FUN.

Brass deflector: manticore arms $, corvus defensio $$$$$
Charging handle: gearhead works $$, manticore arms $$$
Aftermarket flash hiders or compensators: pricey no matter who it is
Flex swivel mount, replaces the takedown latch with a QD socket latch: gearhead works $$
etc.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Three items:

1.) The pics aren't loading
2.) Does it have the integral optic or a rail?
3.) How is the trigger?

I recently had a bullpup itch I had to scratch, and ended up getting a Tavor SAR with Geissle, but AUGs sure are sexy...
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i do have one question. my 556 can is a qd mount over an a2 FH. is there an A2 style fh available for these or a way to adapt one to fit?
View Quote
Since you have a suppressor, call Pete Athens. His number is in here somewhere: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Steyr-factory-SUPPRESSOR-gas-regulator/43-487045/. You may want to purchase a factory gas plug with the suppressor setting.

With 13x1 LH threading, your choices are sort of limited, however, the original A3 type compensator has the notch which allows A2 QD type mounted suppressors to attach. I have heard that the european spec mounts are slightly smaller than US A2 mounts. I have a couple used and new A3 type compensators, wouldn't mind sending you one if you want to see if it fits, or if it doesn't you could have a machine shop open up the notch. Let me know.

Original A3 comp.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Corvus defense mag release and the Manticore micro switchback charging handle are both pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats.

I guess you need an optic and/or some irons. And mags. The Magpul AUG mags work and are a bit less expensive than Steyr mags (assuming your AUG isn't a NATO gun).

If you plan to sling it. I prefer not to use the front sling swivel. It annoys me. So a sling mount of some kind that can be put on the rear of the rail is a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a lot of mags. Get the TSM 2020 trigger sear.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
The charging handle is meant to be operated palm up
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]
NICE
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I think you and I have a mutual friend.

Can I shoot your AUG?
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]
The three Amber colored mags, as you probably already know are MSAR mags. Up to you, but even if they work, I'd relegate them strictly to a range bag and nothing more.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#19]
'Must'?
Charging handle (GHW or Manticore) and 2020 sear.

Maybes:
GHW replacement takedown pin w/QD- if you like single point slings, this is the perfect location.

Maybe some grip tape if you feel the need, but there isn't much the AUG really 'needs.'  I like the Streamlight TLR1-HL if adding a light.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats on the buy in. I love mine. All three of them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Some 42 round magazines.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Mags, 2020 Sear, GHW Flex, Manticore switchback mini. This is how I have mine set up. I need a couple Corvus brass deflectors, but am poor right now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#23]
OP I just bought my first AUG this past week as well and I just received the 20/20 sear and the Manticore Mini charge handle on Friday (While the Mini lever is not too long I think the Micro would probably be the perfect length but I'm not changing). I can confirm with the other posters that those two items are must haves. IF you buy the Manticore, the instructions will tell you to remove both springs but for me it rattled too much and after seeing a review on YT where they put the plunger and it's spring back in I took mine apart and reinstalled them and it eliminated the rattling, MA needs to change their instructions imo.

I still will be adding the GHW Flex and a QD attachment for the butt stock so I can use my sling in 2pt mode. While I can order the QD pin from Pete I really like the non-rotating version from Corvus Defensio and after communicating with one of the owners of CD I'll probably wait until Steyr USA becomes a distributor this year. I'll also be adding,like others, their case deflector and the mag release.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#24]
FYI, I have a Griffin Armament M4SDII and the BFA groove on the factory A3 comp is not compatible with it. The Gemtech one that mounts to the A2 might work? But your best bet is to buy something that has an AUG threaded muzzle device available...
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The charging handle is meant to be operated palm up
View Quote
Well... sort of.  

IMHO, the AUG handle was intended to be grabbed however you wanted - with the integrated optics.  Then when they started doing the hand/cheese grater rail systems, users were forced to use palm up, or hurt their hands.  I think the factory handle is fine, unless you don't run integrated optics - then the aftermarket handle is advised.

Other adds I recommend:
-2020 sear
-QD sling swivel
-low profile laser (just a personal like)
-about 4 of each size mag
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#27]
You'll get used to seating it, it's a little different but it eventually becomes natural. After you skin your knuckles a few times, anyway
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You'll get used to seating it, it's a little different but it eventually becomes natural. After you skin your knuckles a few times, anyway
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

The Manticore Micro makes it SO much easier
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#30]
The Corvus Defence shell deflector is worth the considerable money.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
i will never shoot this thing weak side. is it really needed?
View Quote
No then. There's also a technique to avoiding brass to your face without using a shell deflector...
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:28:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I changed out to a lefty bolt as I am left eye dominant and got tired of the brass beating my old arse up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yup
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup
Yup yup.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Steyr USA is going to be carrying the Corvus stuff later this year
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
interesting day at the range today. my aug ran flawlessly for the 300 rounds i put through. this was with the trigger bar i printed to reduce the trigger weight. it actually surprised me it worked and held up.

i was shooting with several buddies from the local SO. their team just recived new AUG's for entry use and warrant service. out fo the 4 folks there, 2 of their guns wouldn't run.  MAJOR feed issues. we tried my mags and ammo to rule out their gear and ammunition. rounds were misfeeding and smashing the bullets into the case. the 2 guns with issues wouldn't run more than 1 or 2 rounds without a failure.

anyone seen these issues. it honestly surprised me. both rifles a brand new and have been cleaned and lubed prior to shooting. i took them both down to check for issues and nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary.
View Quote
What was the ammo being used?
Brand new, can try running on adverse for the first 100 rounds or so using full power ammo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Odd but who knows; did they contact Steyr? Their customer service is actually pretty good..

Were these NATO stocks, or standard stocks with AUG mags? The only problems I've ever heard with feeding, all involved NATO stocks and AR mags...
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Also new to the AUG club. A few quick questions.

1)  Is it normal for the action to be extremely stiff initially?  It's taking a very healthy pull on the charging handle to lock the bolt back.  If this is normal, does it eventually break in and get smoother?

2)  For those that don't have an integrated optic, is anyone using a the factory Steyr 3x optic that mounts to any pic rail?  I've heard the glass is nice but it's relatively heavy.  Curious on your thoughts.  Worth it?  Or better off going with an ACOG or something else?  I'd prefer something with about 3-4x magnification.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Lock the bolt back for a few days
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lock the bolt back for a few days
View Quote
Just don't leave it locked back then forget about the gun for about 5 years...

Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Also new to the AUG club. A few quick questions.

1)  Is it normal for the action to be extremely stiff initially?  It's taking a very healthy pull on the charging handle to lock the bolt back.  If this is normal, does it eventually break in and get smoother?

2)  For those that don't have an integrated optic, is anyone using a the factory Steyr 3x optic that mounts to any pic rail?  I've heard the glass is nice but it's relatively heavy.  Curious on your thoughts.  Worth it?  Or better off going with an ACOG or something else?  I'd prefer something with about 3-4x magnification.

Thanks!
View Quote
Yes on it being extremely stiff. It will break in a bit, but don't expect it to be AR light. Charging the AUG is a combination of two recoil springs and dual heavy hammer springs.

I think there's only five total 3x A3 type optics in the USA not counting one where I put a 3x tube in one. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a die-hard AUG fan. The integrated 3x optic or something else would serve you much better.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I like the Steyr optics, I have 3. One on a A1, a removable A3, 1.5x and a 3x on an M1. They're cool and top quality. But unless it's just for collecting and the range. There are better options since these are not illuminated at all. Now if it was illuminated, ala ACOG style. It be great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top