Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2018 10:50:26 PM EDT
if a guy is using level 4 ceramic plates, how important is it to have level 3 kevlar backers to prevent soft tissue damage?

what about level 3 ceramics?

basically, will 308 fmj cause enough damage to need backers?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
YouTube has good videos on this question.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged because this is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If a plate is stand-alone you do not need backers of any kind. If the plate is ICW (in-combination-with) then you need the appropriate backer for the plate to reach its rated threat level.

A backer will reduce blunt force trauma when used with a stand-alone plate but whether or not the reduction in blunt force trauma is worth the increase in cost, weight, and bulk is up to you. It isn't worth it to me.

If the impacting round is within the plates threat rating you'll be fine. Might need a one or two day hospital trip if you get hit with something big (.308, .30-06) and it manages to break a rib or the like but that should be the worst injury you'd get.

Remember, NIJ ratings were made with the intent in mind of having armor made that would allow the user to not just survive but to continue to move and fight after taking a hit. Most armor now, even if it doesn't have NIJ certification (as is the case for a lot of "special threat" armor) is made with that same intent, to keep the wearer mobile and fighting even after taking a hit.

In summary, a IIIA backer behind hard stand-alone armor plates is, in my opinion, something that adds too much cost/weight/bulk for little real benefit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Cake summed it up nicely
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A backer will reduce blunt force trauma when used with a stand-alone plate but whether or not the reduction in blunt force trauma is worth the increase in cost, weight, and bulk is up to you. It isn't worth it to me.
View Quote
i should have stated the question better, your 2nd paragraph was exactly what i was looking for. thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Also worth mentioning, going to an ICW plate to reduce bulk and weight over a SA is almost never worth it when you consider the soft armor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a IMTV and the way I look at it is this. While I doubt It would be fatal if I removed it and used only the plates if the soft armor lessens the blow its worth it to me. I also like to think that if the edge of the plate is hit, the soft armor Kevlar might prevent it from fully penetrating.

Either way the entire setup with plates and soft armor is a hefty 30lbs and when you add mags it gets to be a heavy ass vest and the soft armor only weighs a couple lbs so in the long run, its not going to change the fact that its uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time anyways.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also worth mentioning, going to an ICW plate to reduce bulk and weight over a SA is almost never worth it when you consider the soft armor.
View Quote
As I understand, if all youre doing is putting a SAPI size backer behind your ICW plate then you are correct. On the other hand, if your SOP or whatever is to wear plates over a 3A vest or something like that then it isnt the worst idea in the world
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Having soft armor under the plates also makes the best a bit more comfortable and can keep the plates from sliding and banging around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top