Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2018 1:28:23 PM EDT
A buddy is letting me borrow what I believe is a PVS 14 Gen 3 tube for an upcoming trip. I can't really identify more than that because it doesn't have markings, but looked at it on the TVNC comparison thread a few posts up. I've been playing with it at work, and holy shit! it's what I said when I fired it up, and literally every person who's seen it since. I can't believe how it makes a seemingly pitch dark room bright as day. Like read your watch bright. This one has a built in IR light so I think that's really helping, as it's still pretty amazing when the lights are off and the IR is off, but damn if it's not wizard like!

He also let me play with his leopold LTO tracker thermal unit, and the combo makes for a hell of a set up. I can see the shit out of shit. looking forward to night time today!

For someone new to all this, what's the best bet if I want to get into it? Figure out what tube this and order one? I don't know if I'm capable of building this thing from parts but I am interested in learning more. Already diverting the whole gun fund into this. Damn it's cool!
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A buddy is letting me borrow what I believe is a PVS 14 Gen 3 tube for an upcoming trip. I can't really identify more than that because it doesn't have markings, but looked at it on the TVNC comparison thread a few posts up. I've been playing with it at work, and holy shit! it's what I said when I fired it up, and literally every person who's seen it since. I can't believe how it makes a seemingly pitch dark room bright as day. Like read your watch bright. This one has a built in IR light so I think that's really helping, as it's still pretty amazing when the lights are off and the IR is off, but damn if it's not wizard like!

He also let me play with his leopold LTO tracker thermal unit, and the combo makes for a hell of a set up. I can see the shit out of shit. looking forward to night time today!

For someone new to all this, what's the best bet if I want to get into it? Figure out what tube this and order one? I don't know if I'm capable of building this thing from parts but I am interested in learning more. Already diverting the whole gun fund into this. Damn it's cool!
View Quote
Best way to get into it?  Rob a bank. A large one. Lol.

What do you want to do?  Night hiking/general night stuff?  Night shooting? That’s more NV imo.

Night hunting? Because that’s more geared towards thermal imo.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are lots of products on the market and it can be tough sifting through what to get and what capability you'll want.
View Quote
Boy that is the truth right there!!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
You sound just like a guy after his first jump.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For someone new to all this, what's the best bet if I want to get into it?
View Quote
If I was doing it all over again, I would have saved my money and worked my ass off until I had $5,000, and then I would have contacted TNVC Sam and ordered a White Phosphor PVS-14, and some headgear.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Best deal going on a brand spanking new ITT/Harris (military supplier)14 gen 3 HP +, 10 year warranty, excellent customer service and a site sponsor. IMHO this is the best deal anywhere for a high performing tube. I have the same one and it's friggin outstanding.
https://www.jrhenterprises.com/Night-Vision_c3.htm
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The best of the best is currently our L3 WPT TNV-14
Please note we build these all in house and control all QA with along with all our other L3 and Harris tube units. We're are not a reseller in this regard but sell direct, and of course offer a bumper to bumper 10 year warranty.

Also note, L3 is the exclusive mil issued Omni 8 contract tube supplier, sole source. Thank you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For someone new to all this, what's the best bet if I want to get into it?
If I was doing it all over again, I would have saved my money and worked my ass off until I had $5,000, and then I would have contacted TNVC Sam and ordered a White Phosphor PVS-14, and some headgear.
The best of the best is currently our L3 WPT TNV-14
Please note we build these all in house and control all QA with along with all our other L3 and Harris tube units. We're are not a reseller in this regard but sell direct, and of course offer a bumper to bumper 10 year warranty.

Also note, L3 is the exclusive mil issued Omni 8 contract tube supplier, sole source. Thank you.
+1 I have both green and white phosphors and would choose the latter every time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn it. These threads make me wonder if I'm making the right choice focusing on thermal first.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn it. These threads make me wonder if I'm making the right choice focusing on thermal first.
View Quote
Depends on your use. For hunting thermal makes a lot of sense, but for navigation, moving/shooting, driving, 50+ hours of battery life on a single AA, being able to aim with a IR laser/RDS and just for plain chutting shit NODs are the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
The OP didn't ask about thermal, so my answer didn't include it.

In my opinion, thermal should absolutely come before NV if your goal is to hunt.  You can kill waaaaaay more shit with a thermal scope and a red flashlight (for walking) than you can with a NV monocular.  Getting the PVS-14 should definitely be on your list, but I would put the thermal first by a mile.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not really interested in hunting at night at this point. I'm looking for more hiking, maybe vehicle, generally being ready for zombies, and that kind of stuff.

so far I'm thinking that looks like a pas 14 of some sort, helmet and mount, IR illuminator and laser for the rifle. that's pretty much the budget set up, right?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
You’ve got a cool friend letting you borrow his nods.   Excellent and concise commentary in this thread as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Depends on your use. For hunting thermal makes a lot of sense, but for navigation, moving/shooting, driving, 50+ hours of battery life on a single AA, being able to aim with a IR laser/RDS and just for plain chutting shit NODs are the way to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
The OP didn't ask about thermal, so my answer didn't include it.

In my opinion, thermal should absolutely come before NV if your goal is to hunt.  You can kill waaaaaay more shit with a thermal scope and a red flashlight (for walking) than you can with a NV monocular.  Getting the PVS-14 should definitely be on your list, but I would put the thermal first by a mile.
In true ARFCOM fashion, I really just need both.

I've just started getting into some attempted night hunting recently, using my ThermApp as a scanner and then lighting things up for the shot, as the ThermApp is all I have. I'm finding the scanner is absolutely invaluable and seemingly even more important than say a thermal scope, however the ThermApp isn't a terribly rugged piece of equipment, nor is it weatherproof in any way. So my first thought was to look into a more rugged and convenient scanner; I have a Breach on the way.

The PVS14 for me would be more of a zombie apocalypse type tool; I don't feel like I have a real use for it at this time, I just really want to have it so I have it if I ever need it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 3:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not really interested in hunting at night at this point. I'm looking for more hiking, maybe vehicle, generally being ready for zombies, and that kind of stuff.

so far I'm thinking that looks like a pas 14 of some sort, helmet and mount, IR illuminator and laser for the rifle. that's pretty much the budget set up, right?
View Quote
To prepare for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse IMHO your better off spending most of your money on a high spec Gen3 PVS14 2,899 10 year warranty that will allow you to see in near dark conditions without supplemental IR. You have to use light discipline since others may also have NV and giving away your position or direction of travel may not be a good thing. For a budget IR light look at a SolarForce IR drop in and body @ 30.00. As for aiming if you already have an RDS using it passively and is only seen by you. Instead of a helmet look into a Crye Night Cap 66.00, it's lighter and packable. For a mount you can find Rhino II and a wilcox or Crye 3 hole shroud for under 100.00
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

To prepare for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse IMHO your better off spending most of your money on a high spec Gen3 PVS14 2,899 10 year warranty that will allow you to see in near dark conditions without supplemental IR. You have to use light discipline since others may also have NV and giving away your position or direction of travel may not be a good thing. For a budget IR light look at a SolarForce IR drop in and body @ 30.00. As for aiming if you already have an RDS using it passively and is only seen by you. Instead of a helmet look into a Crye Night Cap 66.00, it's lighter and packable. For a mount you can find Rhino II and a wilcox or Crye 3 hole shroud for under 100.00
View Quote
thanks for the info. the budget buster in all this seems to be the NV itself more so than the accessories, but I can see how people go nuts buying all sorts of fancy do-dads. My version of SHTF is usually more Hurricane Harvey, everyone is without power a few days, that kind of thing. more so than roving bands of mercenaries.

I did play a bit more with the thermal, and I think it will be more interesting outside the suburbs. I'm hoping to spot stuff in the distance, than look closer with the PVS. so far the only thing thermal did was show me where the dog peed in the yard.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#17]
This stuff is very addictive; just going to warn you up front.

For what it sounds like you're doing, you just need a good entry-level set up.  Another way to go would be a good gen II tube with a new -14 housing and lenses from NGI.  This would save you a significant amount of money, yet get you into some decent NV around the yard, out camping, etc.  With a Crye Night Cap, GI Rhino II and J-arm, you would save a lot, but still be in the mix.

And, later, if you really get into it, you can buy the latest tube and have state of the art.  This would kinda two-step it, instead of a huge outlay up front.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Good advice above.
I would stick with a Gen3 PVS-14 and not go Gen2; and Gen3 up to your price point.
Gen3 is awesome.

I kid with my friends; always buy NV first and everything else seems affordable.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#19]
so we got a chance to try it out in some of the most dark and desolate places I've ever been at bottomless lake state park and palo duro canyon. Both were something like 20 miles from the nearest street light or town. the canyon was pitch black, i mean can't see your hand in front of your face. but had a bunch of stars out. the PVS without any supplemental IR I was able to see all the nooks and crannies in the hillside around 500 yards away. the thermal seemed to be too low definition to see as much, and I wasn't able to pick up anything alive with it. not sure if that's because there wasn't anything there or the rocks were too hot.

it was really a superpower. wife was running around with it and watching the stars, that was cool. I got a few pics through it and will post them in a bit.

so what's the best way to get into it? save and sell some stuff, then make a call?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Start with a kidney, then maybe a lung, a child or two of you have them to spare, and then look at another mortgage.  That should be a good start.

In all seriousness, a single tube monocular like a PVS14 or MUM with a decent but used tube can be had for $1500-$2200 through online forums.  Most wont have a warranty but most wont need repair within warranty either.  It’s a little hit and miss but that’s what you pay to save 50%.  Otherwise, save up and save up and then give your vendor of choice a shout.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so we got a chance to try it out in some of the most dark and desolate places I've ever been at bottomless lake state park and palo duro canyon. Both were something like 20 miles from the nearest street light or town. the canyon was pitch black, i mean can't see your hand in front of your face. but had a bunch of stars out. the PVS without any supplemental IR I was able to see all the nooks and crannies in the hillside around 500 yards away. the thermal seemed to be too low definition to see as much, and I wasn't able to pick up anything alive with it. not sure if that's because there wasn't anything there or the rocks were too hot.

it was really a superpower. wife was running around with it and watching the stars, that was cool. I got a few pics through it and will post them in a bit.

so what's the best way to get into it? save and sell some stuff, then make a call?
View Quote
If your handy you can build a high spec ITT/Harris Gen 3 HP+ autogated PVS14 for around 2,200. IMHO your on the right path, I started with a Gen 2+ which was great in an urban setting, but when I used it in a canyon like you described without supplemental IR I couldn't see 10 feet in front of my face, but my buddies high spec Gen3 performed awesome. Save your money and wait to buy what you want and not regret buying a lesser unit to save money. The secondary NV market is very tricky and unless you know what your looking at spec, housing, glass, tube, options, etc you can end up with something sub par or have problems in the very near future. I know people here may be getting tired of me posting these pics, but here is the differance of my tube vs my friends.

Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If your handy you can build a high spec ITT/Harris Gen 3 HP+ autogated PVS14 for around 2,200. IMHO your on the right path, I started with a Gen 2+ which was great in an urban setting, but when I used it in a canyon like you described without supplemental IR I couldn't see 10 feet in front of my face, but my buddies high spec Gen3 performed awesome. Save your money and wait to buy what you want and not regret buying a lesser unit to save money. The secondary NV market is very tricky and unless you know what your looking at spec, housing, glass, tube, options, etc you can end up with something sub par or have problems in the very near future. I know people here may be getting tired of me posting these pics, but here is the differance of my tube vs my friends.
https://i.imgur.com/6RUlhTq.png
https://i.imgur.com/T57tsKU.png
View Quote
I love comparison shots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top