Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2018 7:38:13 AM EDT
hey all,

starting to do a search for my first centerfire can and I'm looking for input. I currently have a 22 can and SBR, so it isn't my first NFA but it has been a while since I shopped. I want to get something that works pretty well across a variety of calibers and hopefully isn't crazy expensive, as I know I'll need new threaded barrels and stuff.
I shoot much more pistol than rifle because that's all that's allowed at the range near me. However, I would like the option of shooting at least one rifle caliber round for HD or hunting in the future. Not huge volume of fire but still don't want it to blow up.

Looking to suppress the following:
Shield and Walther p99 9mm. Probably an M&P or 2011 in the future, 9mm.
1911 in 45
PCC in either 9mm or 45 in the future. Probably. don't have yet but thinking about it hard. maybe even the Ruger 9mm 10/22
A rifle round. either 300BO or the ability to put on a 10.5 AR in 223.

It seems from my reading that I can get a rifle can that's big and heavy on the pistols. Or I can get a pistol can and limit myself to 300 and only subs. Am I off in my thinking?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
hey all,

starting to do a search for my first centerfire can and I'm looking for input. I currently have a 22 can and SBR, so it isn't my first NFA but it has been a while since I shopped. I want to get something that works pretty well across a variety of calibers and hopefully isn't crazy expensive, as I know I'll need new threaded barrels and stuff.
I shoot much more pistol than rifle because that's all that's allowed at the range near me. However, I would like the option of shooting at least one rifle caliber round for HD or hunting in the future. Not huge volume of fire but still don't want it to blow up.

Looking to suppress the following:
Shield and Walther p99 9mm. Probably an M&P or 2011 in the future, 9mm.
1911 in 45
PCC in either 9mm or 45 in the future. Probably. don't have yet but thinking about it hard. maybe even the Ruger 9mm 10/22
A rifle round. either 300BO or the ability to put on a 10.5 AR in 223.

It seems from my reading that I can get a rifle can that's big and heavy on the pistols. Or I can get a pistol can and limit myself to 300 and only subs. Am I off in my thinking?
View Quote

If by rifle can you mean a sico hybrid then maybe. But please don't shoot a .355 9mm or a .45 out of a MAYBE .370 .30cal can.
It sounds like a .45 can would serve you.
Ghost
Obsidian
Lunar
Tirant
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Dead Air Wolf 9sd, SiCo Omega 9k and 45 will all handle 300BO supersonic but no 556.  The Omega 9k is a nice length on a pistol and fairly quiet but fatter than most 9mm and 45 cans. Great on a PCC.  All three of those are big diameter for pistol use.  The 9k is almost as quiet as most pistol cans on 300BO subsonic, and decent for its size on supersonic.  The 45 cans will be louder on 9mm and 300BO, but not by much.  Something like the Hybrid opens up the centerfire rifle uses, but is big on a pistol.  Griffin Optimus is versatile too, but no 45 use.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
what about if I get rid of the requirement for 223? But add that I want to shoot 45 and 300 both black out and super sonic?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Rifle & 45 ACP - SilencerCo Hybrid

Rifle and 9mm - Griffin Optimus

300 blackout & 45 ACP - Silencerco Omega 45

Personally I'd just get a nice .30 Cal suppressor now and not bother with suppressing the pistols.  My Octane 45 is rarely used.  Shooting suppressed centerfire pistols is filthy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top