Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2019 9:41:36 PM EDT
Which would you get?

Sound is #1, but would like to be able to mount a bayonet with a little modification to the knife if need be.

The rifle is a 10.5" 7.62x39 AR
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Really depends on what you're intended use/abuse needs are
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m in the same boat, only I’m more along the lines of

Recce 7, GP7, Sportsman 300, Micro30

Im invested in taper mounts but this would live on my bolt .308, so direct thread is fine...BUT mounts give options down the road...
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I voted Recce 7, but it really was a toss up.  I’d like to own a Rugged Micro 30 or even the newest Rugged can!
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If sound is your first priority get the Recce 7 or what to see what Griffin is about to release, the Explorr.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Which would you get?

Sound is #1, but would like to be able to mount a bayonet with a little modification to the knife if need be.

The rifle is a 10.5" 7.62x39 AR
View Quote
If sound is your number one requirement (and it should never be #1), go with the Recce 7. Both Griffin cans are 7.6” long so will be more quiet than the Micro30 even in its long configuration, but the Recce7 is 2 oz lighter and uses arguably better mounts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If sound is your number one requirement (and it should never be #1), go with the Recce 7. Both Griffin cans are 7.6" long so will be more quiet than the Micro30 even in its long configuration, but the Recce7 is 2 oz lighter and uses arguably better mounts.
View Quote
 "If sound is your number one requirement (and it should never be #1)"

Wat?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"If sound is your number one requirement (and it should never be #1)"

Wat?
View Quote
It’s not at the top of my list for a supersonic rifle can.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If sound is your number one requirement (and it should never be #1), go with the Recce 7. Both Griffin cans are 7.6” long so will be more quiet than the Micro30 even in its long configuration, but the Recce7 is 2 oz lighter and uses arguably better mounts.
View Quote
Sound reduction is mostly certainly my number 1 priority 98% of the time. If I'm having to add length to my weapon system and hang a pound or so off the end of the gun, then there better be a very good tradeoff for that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It's kinda hard to go wrong with the Recce
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the RECCE 7 after doing some research, though I still don’t know a lot about suppressors, at least not compared to some of the guys here. It’s still in jail
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought the RECCE 7 after doing some research, though I still don’t know a lot about suppressors, at least not compared to some of the guys here. It’s still in jail
View Quote
Nothing wrong with the Recce 7. Uses a good taper mount and not too heavy. I like mine very well, it sounds really good on my CTR in 6.5 and my 18" 556 SPR
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I can certainly relate to wanting to minimize trade offs. I should elaborate. My very first suppressor was an AAC 762-SDN-6. It’s over 7.5” long, 22oz, plus 4oz for the mount, has minimal blowback, and is super quiet. But it’s H-E-A-V-Y. And the mount sucks. I used it for a few years and put around 6000 rounds of 5.56 and maybe 500-600 rounds of .308 through it. I took several defensive carbine classes and let me tell you, it’s 100% worth a few decibels to reduce the weight, so I ordered an AAC 556-SD. While waiting for my stamp to come in, I took a local carbine class and a month later I took a class by Steve Fisher. Both had round counts of a little over 1000 rounds and I never removed that 762 can. When I finally did, it was completely carbon welded onto the mount and it took a vice, a blow torch, and a breaker bar to remove the can from the mount. And this was AFTER I used a set of vice grips to unscrew the can/mount combo that was pinned/welded to my barrel. Needless to say I lost a lot of faith in the 51T mounting system.

Going back to weight, the 556-SD is about 5oz lighter than the 762-SDN-6, and the difference is VASTLY noticeable when shooting the gun for 8 hours straight. But at 17.5oz plus a 4oz Mount, that’s 21.5oz on the end of the gun, which still gets heavy. So I eventually bought a Gemtech GMT-Halo. It’s 12.4oz on top of a V7 Weapons titanium A2 mount for a total of 13.4 oz. that’s about 8oz lighter than my 556 AAC, 13oz lighter than the 762-SDN-6. It’s about 4dB louder than either one and I can’t tell a single bit of difference whether I’m using heating protection or not. The mount has this far not gotten welded to the can, either.

My Griffin M4 SDII and Recce 7 have also never gottten stuck. Both have less blowback than the AAC 556-SD, making shooting more enjoyable.

This is just my opinion, but most suppressors do a pretty good job of suppressing noise. I’d rather have something lightweight, fairly short, that won’t fuse to the mount.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with the Recce 7. Uses a good taper mount and not too heavy. I like mine very well, it sounds really good on my CTR in 6.5 and my 18" 556 SPR
View Quote
Thanks!  Mine will be mainly on a 9" 300BLK pistol, might spend a little time on a couple 5.56 guns while I wait for my RECCE 5 which I ordered later on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Griffin is supposed to release 30SDK at SHOT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top