Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2018 10:06:06 PM EDT
Im getting back into guns and am going to build a grendel AR and a 6.5 Cm either bolt gun or AR, not sure yet. Im new to suppressors, can anyone recommend:

1. A good Suppressor for the 6.5 grendel that will also be used on a 6.5 Creedmoor
2. A Suppressor that could possibly have baffles changed etc to use 6.5 and .223

Any info is greatly appreciated as I'm new to this suppressor game.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
TBAC Ultra in 6.5.

/thread
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Q Jumbo Shrimp?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Q Jumbo Shrimp?
View Quote
I don’t think that those are shipping yet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
TBAC Ultra 7 or 5 is nice, depending on how you are using it, hunting, bench etc.  30 cal gives more versatility on other calibers.

I use my Griffin Recce 7 on my 18" DMR and a YHM Phantom TI on my 16" light weight.  I foresee a 12.5" Grendel build in my future as well, may use the Razor or Gas Can on that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Im getting back into guns and am going to build a grendel AR and a 6.5 Cm either bolt gun or AR, not sure yet. Im new to suppressors, can anyone recommend:

1. A good Suppressor for the 6.5 grendel that will also be used on a 6.5 Creedmoor
2. A Suppressor that could possibly have baffles changed etc to use 6.5 and .223

View Quote
1. Any suppressor with a diameter larger than .264 will likely work.
2. Thunderbeast and Q are building cans specifically for these loads, that will not work with bullets with a much larger diameter but should be great for these specific needs.
3. Don't ignore cans that will work with .308 or even larger.
4. Consider mounting options along with actual cans. Right now Dead Air and Q seem to have the best mounts in the industry.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
TBAC Ultra in 6.5.

/thread
View Quote
I agree, that is my favorite rifle can because of the light weight, no poi shift, and they sound great.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#7]
You should strongly consider a .30 caliber suppressor with a 6.5mm endcap. This will give you good suppression and more options for future host rifles.

No reason to lock yourself into 6.5mm only.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
TBAC Ultra in 6.5.

/thread
View Quote
Hippiekicker nailed it
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I’d buy a .30
Maybe a thunderbeast
I wouldn’t kneecap myself to 6.5 only
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Efficient baffles don't need to be tightly bored particularly if the can has sufficient volume and length to capture gas that gets diverted from the bore line. So the idea of changing baffles even if it were legal would be a waste of time and material. Even replaceable front caps are largely for metering points over human ears.  An Omega 30 on a 556 with either front cap will sound the same to most people.  With a suppressor like a Hybrid 46, with its half inch bore and front aperture then the 556 front cap makes an audible difference on sub-calibers. I've compared the Omega-30 to the Hybrid-46 on 20" Grendel and observers thought they were similarly quiet but with a different tone.

So a 30 cal can will give you the most choices, which is usually driven then by choice of mounting and your budget which usually drives weight.  Lighter costs more.  If you go with Alexander Arms Grendel barrels, the muzzle thread will be 9/16-24.  A few other barrel makers use that as well.  Many of the 'latest hotness' suppressor companies do not yet stock mounts in that thread pitch. A more common 5/8-24 threaded barrel will prevent that issue and most 6.5CM barrels will be 5/8-24.   The Creedmoor will normally benefit from a longer can in the 1.5" X 8" long format. The Grendel has less powder and is a lesser pressure round so is easier to suppress.

You will want adjustable gas block or bolt carrier group on the ARs but in a bolt gun higher back pressure cans aren't an issue and will be quieter. For the Creedmoor the Anchor Brake front caps on SilencerCo's Omega or Hybrid reduce recoil more than just a flat front cap suppressor. If you are a high volume shooter the lighter titanium cans are good for a couple of mag dumps and then they should be allowed to cool down.  In addition to the Silencerco models mentioned the Sandman L, Rugged Micro 30, YHM Resonator, Energetic VOX, Griffin Recce 7 would all be worth considering as good first centerfire rifle suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with the EA Vox for my new 6.5 Grendel.  Light, tough and can utilize different mounts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
For precision work I have been very impressed with Leviathan.  I had a chance to get some rounds on one and lived up to the claims for recoil reduction first and foremost.  They currently only have 308 models, but I am going to go that route over TBAC.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#15]
To the OP: Carefully read the KalmanPhilter post two windows above.  Extremely good summary of the issues at hand.

Though maybe necessary for a lightweight bolt gun barrel, the 9/16-24 thread on a standard AR 6.5 barrel didn't make any sense on the first day, and it still doesn't.  
If I had an AA 6.5 Grendel, I would immediately rethread the muzzle to 5/8-24; plenty of room on any standard .750 gas block barrel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve been a fan of the Surefire Socom 300 SPS since I got mine almost a year ago.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Q makes amazing cans, check them out.

https://liveqordie.com/collections/7-62-silencers-by-q
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the great input ill definitely check these out. Talking about suppressing makes me want to lean towards a 12 inch barrel as opposed to 16, but once again never done a tax stamp before but I hear its very easy just the wait period.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the great input ill definitely check these out. Talking about suppressing makes me want to lean towards a 12 inch barrel as opposed to 16, but once again never done a tax stamp before but I hear its very easy just the wait period.
View Quote
12" barrels are easily done with just a pistol brace, and you can always SBR it later if you like it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with gemtech dagger.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I went with the Ultra 5 .30 cal FDE for my 12" Grendel after listening to Ultra 7s and Ultra 5s on 20" Grendels, as well as a lot of different bolt guns at matches.

When you RO, you get to hear a lot of different cans, and the TBAC Ultras kinda stand out for noise suppression, definitely stand out for weight.

With a gas gun, it makes sense to allow more venting out of the front of the can, versus efficiency that will drive back pressure, so I went .30 cal for that reason.

I am still using a Bootleg adjustable gas carrier to tame the back pressure into the expansion chamber, and thereby taming the cyclic rate and fouling introduced into the upper.

With the Ultra 5, it barely feels like there's a suppressor on the end, which I have never felt anything close to on center-fire rifles before.  I've been shooting different suppressed M4A1s and bolt guns since the mid-1990s, to include a lot of European cans as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top