Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2018 4:28:36 PM EDT
Im about to install a composite TL30x6 safe that weighs 4800LBS

I don't think I will be able to bolt it to the concrete but the last guy that installed my TL vault said if you put PL premium or construction adhesive under the safe you basically cant move it. He was a bank vault installer/mover and used this technique before

What say ye?

I was thinking it can hurt but If I ever had to move it I dont know if you could
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be extremely effective, given the surface area you’d be working with. Good luck ever moving it, though. I’m assuming the floor will be bare concrete with nothing on it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Tension slab?

I would trust construction grade epoxy much more than the adhesives you mentioned.

If you need it moved, a shorer will be able to get it loose.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought of expanding foam , a thin layer and it's stuck .
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
why can't you bolt into concrete?  That's how mine is secured
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The only issue is a 4800 LB safe would have a lot of lever to pull that bond at the base if it got moving even just a little. In a corner..bond all 3 surfaces.
Of course on the other hand..how accessible is the safe ? @ 4800 it would require some fairly sharp people with a well thought out  plan to “take it away” if stairs or any real vertical movement is needed.
It would be easier to pop the door where it sits in most cases.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
umm ya over 2 tons, inside a house, probably doesnt need to be attatched to anything, unless you figure someone will take the time to rob your house with a bulldozer, or unless they are 5,000 year old egyptians
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The challenge with the heavy safes is people tend to place them in the garage. Personally I'd rather have a 1600 Lb safe bolted in a back room of the basement than a TL in the garage where somebody could use a vehicle to remove it.

If you figure out a way to conceal it away from the vehicles, I don't think there is any value in the extra 200 lbs or so of resistance an adhesive would offer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you figure out a way to conceal it away from the vehicles, I don't think there is any value in the extra 200 lbs or so of resistance an adhesive would offer.
View Quote
and how did you figure that?

I really want to know if it was a calc or a pull from a ass
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s heavy enough you don’t need adhesive. Besides if you ever move your gonna have a hell of a time moving it. Or leaving it as a gift for the next owner.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
from what I've found with a minimal poly glue will result in 450,000 Psi shear,  and with a 8.5 vector for the size will be 50K plus "tension" in the Y axis

do any of you do math or is it all out your ass?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:26:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The challenge with the heavy safes is people tend to place them in the garage. Personally I'd rather have a 1600 Lb safe bolted in a back room of the basement than a TL in the garage where somebody could use a vehicle to remove it.

View Quote
You’ll get a shit ton more resistance than 200lb. Maybe 200lb over a few square inches, but over a surface area like we’re discussing? Thousands if not tens of thousands.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 3:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

from what I've found with a minimal poly glue will result in 450,000 Psi shear,  and with a 8.5 vector for the size will be 50K plus "tension" in the Y axis

View Quote
So how much resistance do you need?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:43:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Where are you going won't the safe? Why can't you bolt it down?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Keep in mind, if you ever move it again, you'll have to break all the adhesive you used. You'd basically have to break you own safe out. Bolts are much easier to remove in the end.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have to ask, do you honestly have $750,000 worth of guns/cash/gold in your safe?

Because that's what insurance will cover for a TL30x6. Considering UL lists you do not need to bolt down a TL safe that weighs over 750 pounds for it to inhibit it's rating, you're probably safe not going that extra step.

I could also possibly understand if you had a standard TL15, or TL30, where tipping the safe to get to a "weaker" (relatively speaking) side, might make sense, but an x6?

Sounds like way more squeeze for the juice you'll get.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I dont want someone to pull it over or try to take it
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Keep in mind, if you ever move it again, you'll have to break all the adhesive you used. You'd basically have to break you own safe out. Bolts are much easier to remove in the end.
View Quote
I know but it more cost effective buying a new safe vs moving it. This is my second bank vault
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have to ask, do you honestly have $750,000 worth of guns/cash/gold in your safe?

Because that's what insurance will cover for a TL30x6.
View Quote
what insurance will cover that?

I bet you have to have a alarm and monitoring as well
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jewelry/bank insurance will only insure so much per the rating of the safe. But you can use that number as a baseline for what the safe will realistically survive.

If you're spending the time and money on a TL30x6, why would you opt out of having an alarm, monitoring, and video? Layers make a good security blanket. The reality is, unless you have hundreds of thousands of dollars in that safe, and you advertise it, and you happen to have professional thieves in your area, no one will EVER come close to even scratching the surface of a TL safe. Now if you did happen to have professional bank thieves in your area that knew your safe had $750,000 worth of items in it, gluing it down won't stop them.

I'm not trying to criticize you, do what you want with your own stuff. Hell; go buy some industrial epoxy, etch the shit out of the floor and bottom of the safe, and it'll never move again. But the reality is, even without securing the safe to any wall/floor, no one without experience, or knowledge, will move that safe.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The only issue is a 4800 LB safe would have a lot of lever to pull that bond at the base if it got moving even just a little. In a corner..bond all 3 surfaces.
Of course on the other hand..how accessible is the safe ? @ 4800 it would require some fairly sharp people with a well thought out  plan to “take it away” if stairs or any real vertical movement is needed.
It would be easier to pop the door where it sits in most cases.
View Quote

Johnson bar, two pallet jacks, wood shims, and a forklift.  I have done it twice.  It goes fast and nobody saw me do it.  No helper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Johnson bar, two pallet jacks, wood shims, and a forklift.  I have done it twice.  It goes fast and nobody saw me do it.  No helper.
View Quote
Do you think the safe being glued down would've inhibited your removal, for an extended time, with the same tools?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#22]
glue down an piece of armored steel with mounting holes that fit the mounting holes in the base of your  safe in it. either attach mounting plates to the walls the same way or bolting them in. and as others have said cameras and alarms, and you can make it safer by putting it in a hidden room
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#23]
well its in.

They guys said gluing prob wont matter since no one could move it with out specialized equipment anyways.

I still glued it
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
This would be my question
Diminishing returns and all
And no, no math for me
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#25]
You absolutely need to bolt it down.  The doors on these thing weigh a ton...with the door all the way open they can tilt if the wrong things happen.

I have a large  tl30 composite +myself....it’s bolted down.

And a lot of people would be surprised how easy they are to move if you have the right equipment if not bolted down.

Me and my 65 year old father in law moved min into my walkout basement in about 30 minutes from off the trailer. Over the sill and all the way across the basement. It’s all about knowing what you’re doing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the diamond industry, a TL30x6 affords you the ability to insure up to $750k of merchandise stored inside. It apparently is an insurance industry rule.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#27]
That’s pry a spendy safe

Can you glue down a base and bolt the safe to that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#28]
The guys who are smart and motivate enough to cart off a 5,000 pound safe are the same guys who are smart and motivated enough to break into it where it sits.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You absolutely need to bolt it down.  The doors on these thing weigh a ton...with the door all the way open they can tilt if the wrong things happen.

I have a large  tl30 composite +myself....it’s bolted down.

And a lot of people would be surprised how easy they are to move if you have the right equipment if not bolted down.

Me and my 65 year old father in law moved min into my walkout basement in about 30 minutes from off the trailer. Over the sill and all the way across the basement. It’s all about knowing what you’re doing.
View Quote
the door weighs over 2000lbs and they shimmed it so its level at 22, 45 90 nd 180 degrees it doesnt move.

It doesnt have holes to bolt it down anyways

how big off a safe did you move in 30 minutes?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That’s pry a spendy safe

Can you glue down a base and bolt the safe to that?
View Quote
no

it was only 4500 plus 1k to ship it from east coast 2600mi plus install.

one of the guys that installed it said it was a easy 10K+ safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The guys who are smart and motivate enough to cart off a 5,000 pound safe are the same guys who are smart and motivated enough to break into it where it sits.
View Quote
thats what the installers said
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

the door weighs over 2000lbs and they shimmed it so its level at 22, 45 90 nd 180 degrees it doesnt move.

It doesnt have holes to bolt it down anyways

how big off a safe did you move in 30 minutes?
View Quote
Roughly 6’x2.5’x4’.

It’s all about having the right equipment.  All in I only paid $1000 for the safe. Spent 150 to rent a hydraulic drop trailer and safe movers.  Sold the time lock off for $150.  So all in $1000
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Im about to install a composite TL30x6 safe that weighs 4800LBS

I don't think I will be able to bolt it to the concrete but the last guy that installed my TL vault said if you put PL premium or construction adhesive under the safe you basically cant move it. He was a bank vault installer/mover and used this technique before

What say ye?

I was thinking it can hurt but If I ever had to move it I dont know if you could
View Quote
4800 pounds loaded + ? If they can move that, a few bolts are not going to deter them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Roughly 6’x2.5’x4’.

It’s all about having the right equipment.  All in I only paid $1000 for the safe. Spent 150 to rent a hydraulic drop trailer and safe movers.  Sold the time lock off for $150.  So all in $1000
View Quote
what make?

Did it have holes for bolts or did you drill them?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
You sure on those numbers? 450,000 psi is more strength than the steel itself has... you must also realize that rating is for the glue itself, not the bond to the paint. And the weak point of it all is how well is the paint bonded to the bottom of your safe.

IMHO, just spitballing a number here, but I think 200 PSI would be a likely maximum for bond-strength of glue under your safe.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In the diamond industry, a TL30x6 affords you the ability to insure up to $750k of merchandise stored inside. It apparently is an insurance industry rule.
View Quote
That’s a rule of thumb. And largely between the owner and the insurance company. Depending on what layers of security you have, those rule of thumb limits can increase substantially. It’s not uncommon to have just a TL30 insured for $1MM.
In my application, a TL30x6 would likely be insured for $5MM+.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

what make?

Did it have holes for bolts or did you drill them?
View Quote
It’s a hamilton safe deposit style safe out of a bank. I took out some of the shelves and compartments on the left for long guns but kept the rest of other stuff.

Glad I have a composite also seeing as how I have a very good plasma cutter in my garage along with a bunch of other tools for breaking into things.

It had holes

The bolts on my account are largely to eliminate any chance of the door being open allowing the safe to tip.

The odds of a targeted attack by people capable of stealing the safe itself are slim to none.  However I don’t see much point in spending all the money for a new RSC when you can find used TL 15 and TL 30 safes for way cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:35:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes, the glue is strong. The problem is that the concrete isn’t.

The top half-inch of concrete will just break off when you pull it hard enough. Your glue is like using half-inch long bolts.

Long bolts are better because you need to break a huge part of the slab and rebar away, which takes a lot more force.

That being said, get a camera on it that goes to the cloud and have it text you on motion. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

thats what the installers said
View Quote
I had 4 guys move a 5,000lbs safe with easy. Like it was floating or something.

Safes are easy to get into or take with you unless you have like solid 4" thick stainless or something crazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top