Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2022 8:34:37 AM EDT
figured I'd ask here rather than GD to hopefully get some more info (besides don't go, etc). I have been learning and reading lots here so I appreciate the topics.

I've upgraded my EDC/work backpack and it has soft armor and a med kit with trauma shears and a Cat 7. As I understand, those things are TSA approved to fly and no issue almost anywhere. I am allowed to have a small blade and pepper spray at work but anything else is felony level unfortunately.

I'm curious what else people carry for defensive use in an NPE. I've read that if you can't take a gun/knife then some options are good flashlights, all metal pens (not tactical ones) and some other stuff, but hoping to hear what people suggest.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
forgot to tag @rock6 as I imagine he's up on this
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
forgot to tag @rock6 as I imagine he's up on this
View Quote

Quite fitting topic. Wife and I are in Saint John USVI right now, and we flew with no checked bags...

FAK, CAT and safety shears TSA okay. I brought a folding exhange razor blade without blade and picked some up at a local hardware store on the way to the otherside of the ilsand.  

This is where I like a stout 18650 light for an impact tool.  We fly back Sunday and I'll follow up if still alive.

We've hiked almost 20 miles and kayking tomorrow. The longest hike was about 8.5 miles yesterday...and we just did a 3 mile hile this morning to another bay...vacation is kicking my ass! But the evenings are sublime...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
A few non-permissive defensive options I've traveled with in the past...at least an NSA compound and through TSA:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I love a bright surefire for situations like this. I’ve flashed myself enough to know I wouldn’t that pointed at me.

A Malkoff head on an e series body will leave floaters in your vision.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I love a bright surefire for situations like this. I’ve flashed myself enough to know I wouldn’t that pointed at me.

A Malkoff head on an e series body will leave floaters in your vision.
View Quote

Careful, I was once walking my dog at night years ago. A guy shined a high lumen flashlight at me and my dog and I ran to a ditch and drew on the guy.

It was some douche trying to keep people from dumping trash down this dirt road.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Careful, I was once walking my dog at night years ago. A guy shined a high lumen flashlight at me and my dog and I ran to a ditch and drew on the guy.

It was some douche trying to keep people from dumping trash down this dirt road.
View Quote

I’m pretty responsible. Drawing a gun on someone over a flashlight sounds far from reasonable. You are lucky they didn’t call the police on you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’m pretty responsible. Drawing a gun on someone over a flashlight sounds far from reasonable. You are lucky they didn’t call the police on you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have no problem explaining I thought he was aiming a weapon at me if he did.

I also have no problem using a flashlight to ID people at night. I do not shine it right in their face. I aim it at the ground well in front of their feet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I travel with either a g10 core sharpie or a g10 core carpenter pencil in addition to first aid stuff and a flashlight.  As long as the pointy item is with other writing instruments it’s not been an issue.

FWIW I also travel with blueprints so the whole package kinda makes sense that I’d have a bunch of writing instruments.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top