Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2020 10:20:33 AM EDT
My first form one can is for a .22 that I made years ago and it's all Stainless and like 9" long
Almost as much as my 5.56 can

I have  seen some 5.56/.30cal ones over 2lbs. what is your limit to weight?

What is too heavy for a 9mm pistol can with booster?

Just curious as I have some approved stamps (.22 all the way to 9mm) that I have not even started yet.
Ordering tooling, materials,  and such soon.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
A 16 ounce Hybrid with a booster functions on pistols. Most full size 45 cans are around 12 ounces.  

You should be able to build a Form 1 pistol suppressor around 12 ounces if you use an aluminum tube 1.375” OD, aluminum front cap, and only a steel blast baffle.  You don’t need titanium baffles if it’s for 9mm only. With lighter forward baffles you keep the weight to the rear of the suppressor and it improves balance.  If you run mostly aluminum baffles it’s a good idea to shoot bullets with no exposed lead at the base (use totally encapsulated or plated bullets).
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're making your own parts, you're not constrained by what's available commercially.

It's very easy to build lightweight cans using the right materials and some knowledge.  My 9mm pistol can, Phoenix IX, is 9 ounces including booster piston & spring.  It has a thin walled 1.25" x  7.7" titanium tube, 17-4 H900 booster housing, piston & blast baffle, rest of the baffles, front cap and piston retainer are anodized 7075-T651.

I do tubeless builds & recores for rifles that are 100% 17-4 stainless and still come in pretty light.  This is a direct thread 1.6" x 7" magnum rated .30 can:

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're making your own parts, you're not constrained by what's available commercially.

It's very easy to build lightweight cans using the right materials and some knowledge.  My 9mm pistol can, Phoenix IX, is 9 ounces including booster piston & spring.  It has a thin walled 1.25" x  7.7" titanium tube, 17-4 H900 booster housing, piston & blast baffle, rest of the baffles, front cap and piston retainer are anodized 7075-T651.

I do tubeless builds & recores for rifles that are 100% 17-4 stainless and still come in pretty light.  This is a direct thread 1.6" x 7" magnum rated .30 can:

https://i.imgur.com/LUsJJFO.jpg  

View Quote

Good lord. I cant wait to get my stamp.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
8 inch DM Ti select at 1.5 od weighs less than 14 ounces in direct thread config.

Has two SS baffles and 5 Ti.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My first form one can is for a .22 that I made years ago and it's all Stainless and like 9" long
Almost as much as my 5.56 can

I have  seen some 5.56/.30cal ones over 2lbs. what is your limit to weight?

What is too heavy for a 9mm pistol can with booster?

Just curious as I have some approved stamps (.22 all the way to 9mm) that I have not even started yet.

thanks
View Quote

My last DM all Ti was 9.4oz (7.5"x1.5") from a couple years ago.  I have a couple others that are larger and mix of Ti and SS that come in at 12-17oz.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
A 16 ounce Hybrid with a booster functions on pistols. Most full size 45 cans are around 12 ounces.  

You should be able to build a Form 1 pistol suppressor around 12 ounces if you use an aluminum tube 1.375” OD, aluminum front cap, and only a steel blast baffle.  You don’t need titanium baffles if it’s for 9mm only. With lighter forward baffles you keep the weight to the rear of the suppressor and it improves balance.  If you run mostly aluminum baffles it’s a good idea to shoot bullets with no exposed lead at the base (use totally encapsulated or plated bullets).
View Quote

My 1.5in x 6in Ti tube with 6 skirted 4140 baffles comes in at 12.7 oz. Using an aluminum tube, endcap, and internals, should be well below that seeing that the density of aluminum is almost 1.8 times less than titanium. So something similar should come in around 8-9 ounces from some quick math.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Lay:

My 1.5in x 6in Ti tube with 6 skirted 4140 baffles comes in at 12.7 oz. Using an aluminum tube, endcap, and internals, should be well below that seeing that the density of aluminum is almost 1.8 times less than titanium. So something similar should come in around 8-9 ounces from some quick math.
View Quote

True enough, but for a tilt barrel pistol action a booster piston, spring, and housing probably adds 3 ounces since those parts are usually all steel.  

A lot depends on machined thickness, an all steel Omega 9k ready to thread on a pistol is just about 11 ounces.  The CGS Mod 9 really hits a sweet spot for weight and balance.

If you get light enough you can go boosterless.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By c5hardtop:

My last DM all Ti was 9.4oz (7.5"x1.5") from a couple years ago.  I have a couple others that are larger and mix of Ti and SS that come in at 12-17oz.

https://i.ibb.co/DDbrPnT/20170117-183117.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By c5hardtop:
Originally Posted By dayphotog:
My first form one can is for a .22 that I made years ago and it's all Stainless and like 9" long
Almost as much as my 5.56 can

I have  seen some 5.56/.30cal ones over 2lbs. what is your limit to weight?

What is too heavy for a 9mm pistol can with booster?

Just curious as I have some approved stamps (.22 all the way to 9mm) that I have not even started yet.
Ordering tooling, materials,  and such soon.

thanks

My last DM all Ti was 9.4oz (7.5"x1.5") from a couple years ago.  I have a couple others that are larger and mix of Ti and SS that come in at 12-17oz.

https://i.ibb.co/DDbrPnT/20170117-183117.jpg

My last 1.5x8 all Ti except 2 SS baffles came in at 12.8 undrilled.

DM tube, yhm mount, and end cap. Totality radial guts. But I did one of the old heavy SPC SS cones as a blast come. It was twice the weight of the Totality SS radial.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, my DM can is 13.6 OZ with an ASR mounting system.  

Imgur link with schema.

I think anything heavier than my saker would be an automatic no-go as far as weight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]

True enough, but for a tilt barrel pistol action a booster piston, spring, and housing probably adds 3 ounces since those parts are usually all steel.  

A lot depends on machined thickness, an all steel Omega 9k ready to thread on a pistol is just about 11 ounces.  The CGS Mod 9 really hits a sweet spot for weight and balance. 

If you get light enough you can go boosterless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lay:

My 1.5in x 6in Ti tube with 6 skirted 4140 baffles comes in at 12.7 oz. Using an aluminum tube, endcap, and internals, should be well below that seeing that the density of aluminum is almost 1.8 times less than titanium. So something similar should come in around 8-9 ounces from some quick math.

True enough, but for a tilt barrel pistol action a booster piston, spring, and housing probably adds 3 ounces since those parts are usually all steel.  

A lot depends on machined thickness, an all steel Omega 9k ready to thread on a pistol is just about 11 ounces.  The CGS Mod 9 really hits a sweet spot for weight and balance. 

If you get light enough you can go boosterless.

Doh', I forgot about the booster assembly.
Either way, an all aluminum setup would be the way to go for 9mm, unless it's full auto or something crazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top