Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2018 10:16:11 AM EDT
is the flir t50 outdated? are there better offerings out now for the price?

I have a lead on one, its used, but for under 3k
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The T50 is a clip-on.
Shop around for other decent clip-on thermals at that price and I think you'll find that to be a good deal.
is it top of the line? No but it is a decent clip-on thermal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
T50 is a truly collimated hard use clip on. You'd have to spend over 3X as much to get a unit that works better. There have been some LWTS's pop up for around $6K recently which is definitely a superior unit but at that price and knowing at least one of those sellers to sell questionable stuff I'd say what you're getting at $6K is likely stolen property which means confiscation if it ever has to go back for and service.

I just sold my legit LWTS in excellent condition for $8750 and it was actually a dealer that bought it because it was such a good price. New you're looking at well over $10K (more like $12-$13K) for a LWTS or a T75.

Moral of the story, for $3K or even a lot more, you're not getting a better thermal clip on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Outdated, not by a long shot. Have there been advancements in tech, of course, but it is a solid unit.

One supposedly sold in the EE for $3k (ask) and I found that highly odd given the price they sold for new and still sell for.
So when you say below $3k that is a what is going on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have to align crosshairs or anything with your day scope?  Or, can you pop it on most any day optic and go?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have to align crosshairs or anything with your day scope?  Or, can you pop it on most any day optic and go?
View Quote
Depending on the model of T-50 some serve as just a clip-on, meaning you just place it in front of your day optic and you are ready to go. Always best to test it however. Others models serve as both a clip-on and as a stand along scope because it has internal reticles.  FYI the T-50 for clip-on use it is really meant to be used with a day optic of no more than 4x
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Depending on the model of T-50 some serve as just a clip-on, meaning you just place it in front of your day optic and you are ready to go. Always best to test it however. Others models serve as both a clip-on and as a stand along scope because it has internal reticles.  FYI the T-50 for clip-on use is really meant to be used with a day optic of no more than 4x
View Quote
Right.  Like ideally an acog.  Other clip ons like the Apollo sound like a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Depending on the model of T-50 some serve as just a clip-on, meaning you just place it in front of your day optic and you are ready to go. Always best to test it however. Others models serve as both a clip-on and as a stand along scope because it has internal reticles.  FYI the T-50 for clip-on use is really meant to be used with a day optic of no more than 4x
View Quote
I thought all t50s could be used as a clip on and as a stand alone scope? I thought there were obly 2 different versions of the t50, only difference being theres one with ir lasee as well and one without?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought all t50s could be used as a clip on and as a stand alone scope? I thought there were obly 2 different versions of the t50, only difference being theres one with ir lasee as well and one without?
View Quote
Nope, I can tell you that there was a model with no internal reticles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve been using mine constantly for eight years now in front of an ACOG and works perfect out 250 yards, real work horse.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope, I can tell you that there was a model with no internal reticles.
View Quote
Not sure which model it is? Or is there any way you can tell just by looking at the t50?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not sure which model it is? Or is there any way you can tell just by looking at the t50?
View Quote
Externally there was no way tell. I did not know that mine had no internal reticles until after I bought it and could not get them to come up. I inquired here to see if I was doing something wrong but it took a call to FLIR CS to confirm that my unit did not have them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Externally there was no way tell. I did not know that mine had no internal reticles until after I bought it and could not get them to come up. I inquired here to see if I was doing something wrong but it took a call to FLIR CS to confirm that my unit did not have them.
View Quote
Are there different model numbers? There must be a model # for the t50 with no internal reticle?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]
There are some cheap low budget law enforcement surplus T-50s out there that were never factory calibrated, they will shoot accurately on 1X only, but not at 2X or 4X digital magnification.

All those sold through authorized FLIR distributors are collimated correctly though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are some cheap low budget law enforcement surplus T-50s out there that were never factory calibrated, they will shoot accurately on 1X only, but not at 2X or 4X digital magnification.

All those sold through authorized FLIR distributors are collimated correctly though.
View Quote
That's exactly what I was looking to buy, law enforcement surplus t50. I think now Ill have to stay away. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

+1, there are only 3 authorized FLIR Govy distributors out there.  
View Quote
who?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Love my factory collimated T-50 from TNVC.....Authorized Government FLIR Channel Partner.

Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So when you say below $3k that is a what is going on.
View Quote
That really doesn’t mean anything. I sold a shit load of Simrads that originally cost $18K and had been fully serviced by SPA with all new tubes ($3K per tube + service) since being used. They went for anywhere between $1300-$3800.

It’s just a matter of what people are willing to pay compared to what else is available. To the average user they have no clue the reliability and performance difference between something like a T50 and your run of the mill Pulsar or ATN and don’t care about being a clip on, they just see 320 unit vs 320 unit so of course they’re going to buy the new one and a used T50 is going to be a tougher sale.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I will happily give folks bottom dollar for their used T50.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I will happily give folks bottom dollar for their used T50.
View Quote
Dibs on the second one!
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I would pay 3k for a T50 all day and twice on sunday
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#24]
T-50 took down another cockroach last night as it has been doing constantly for the last eight years, one of my favorite thermal scopes.....

Link Posted: 10/26/2018 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
still thinking of this

is there any way to tell if they are factory calibrated or not?? without looking at the unit beforehand. im guessing not but just thought id double check
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#26]
If you purchase one from a FLIR Governmmet Channel Partner, it will be collimated correctly, TNVC and PR Infared are both Govvy channel partners.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top