Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2018 6:46:43 PM EDT
ok, I've always wanted a cut down side by side. I understand they kick like mules. I understand they have limited practical "actual" use. I don't care.  I wanna do it. But I want to do it in the right way. I finally found a donor (Remington/Bakail S220) that's in decent shape, double triggers, ejectors, and in pretty decent shape. I have just traded into it so I won't be out any money, and I have $200 to waste on a stamp.

so what's the most fun way to do this? Do I want to cut the barrels down to like 9" and cut the stock into a pistol grip? make it all mad max?
or do I want to cut barrels down but still keep at least enough stock to shoulder it? I'm seeing it mostly as a range toy, but potentially a travel gun, hotel gun, and for HD.

also, I"m about to dive into the general NFA questions. I haven't done any stamps in the last like 8 years, so the whole no sign off and post 41 thing is new to me. Is there a good basic thing to read up? I have a buddy with a laser engraver so I should be good there.

anybody have pros/cons or pics of how you did yours?

here's where mine is now with 20" barrels
https://i.imgur.com/jrUXiEA.jpg
and here's a rough idea of how short I'm thinking if we go whole hog
https://i.imgur.com/7gdhONI.jpg
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did...both.

I cut to 14 first and it was kinda fun but meh.

I found a donor stock that I cut into a pistol grip and then cut the barrels down to 10 or 11”.

Now it’s the life of every party. Don’t worry about the kicking part. I got some of those 20 gauge chamber adapters from short lane and they work great.

PLUS I have the original stock so I can put it back on if I ever change my mind.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243189/FA36F09F-EAD5-4C5C-93C1-D45B72FD4813-486016.jpg
View Quote
@Norinco982lover thanks for the idea of 20 gauge adapters, I never even thought of that! I was going to do mini shells if it got to be too much, but I'm not especially recoil sensitive. We used to set both barrels of my buddy's stagecoach off at the same time. I know that's not great for it, but damn it's fun!

where did you find the extra stock? I wouldn't mind having both options. also do you have to let the ATF know when you change length or are you good as long as you can go back to regular, like an SBR?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did...both.

I cut to 14 first and it was kinda fun but meh.

I found a donor stock that I cut into a pistol grip and then cut the barrels down to 10 or 11”.

Now it’s the life of every party. Don’t worry about the kicking part. I got some of those 20 gauge chamber adapters from short lane and they work great.

PLUS I have the original stock so I can put it back on if I ever change my mind.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243189/FA36F09F-EAD5-4C5C-93C1-D45B72FD4813-486016.jpg
View Quote
@Norinco982lover I had never heard of Short Lane, but was intrigued. It looks like they do all sort of adapters and I could take it down to 20 gauge easily, or also 9mm, 45, 410, etc. DAMN!!!! that would be awesome to turn it into a double barrel 9mm just for fun. Or shoot 45 pistol shotshells out of it to mess with people thinking it will kick hard. haha alright, paperwork time!
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
OMG don’t let the ATF see that second picture some idiot there might call that intent!
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top