Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2023 3:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus]
any recommended muzzle devices for short barreled ARs? obviously a 7 inch of 11 inch makes for a lot of noise with a birdcage, i was thinking maybe a noveske pig would deflect the noise away more?...
i'm not talking something to be pinned and welded
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
A directional comp like the KX5 does help a little, but ultimately a suppressor is ideal. Anything shorter than 10.3 will be very hard on a suppressor though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By upjeeper:
any recommended muzzle devices for short barreled ARs? obviously a 7 inch of 11 inch makes for a lot of noise with a birdcage, i was thinking maybe a noveske pig would deflect the noise away more?...
i'm not talking something to be pinned and welded
View Quote

Will still be loud as hell.  Outdoors you may get a little relief, but indoors it is just gonna bounce back at you.  I have a Kineti-Tech on my 10.5 and while it does focus the noise downrange it is still loud.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
A Flash Can type muzzle device makes all the difference in the world when it comes to directing the concussion forward. Without one, the concussion is ridiculous for people beside you. I have one of the Spike's Tactical flash cans when they first came out with one. A buddy of mine had a KAK Flash Can and it worked fine. I imagine they all work similarly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Flash cans / blast diverters make all the difference. I have Midwest, KAK, Guntec and Witt Machine and all do well on short guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a suppressor...
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#6]
Personally after wasting money trying to get a 7.5" barrel to have less blast. I'd change to a 10.5"/11.5" barrel and throw on one of these:

Does the flaming pig work? Yeah.. But why not get some extra velocity/less unburned powder? The 4 prong flash hider will also help with flash and concussion imo.

The flaming pig will add atleast 3.5"
The compact BRT Linear Compensator was still loud in doors and had a pretty blinding flash.

This is with a 10.5" barrel and linear comp
American Eagle 55 GR. 5.56 10.5" Barrel BRT Comp

VS
This is with an 11.5" barrel and short 4 prong.
[youtube]shorts/WedmTNpP7NI[/youtube]

Same ammo
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#7]
Suppressor
KX3/KX5
Linear comps like KVP
"Flash cans"

Have all, including several KVPs.
They take the edge off.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:00:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Otto_Mation] [#8]
I have 2 of these and they work great.

Hellfire Linear Flash Suppressor, from Area 419
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been happy with my Levang and Kaw Valley linear comps.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#12]
This is what you seek.

https://simplethreadeddevices.square.site/
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Open prong flash suppressors don’t have any surfaces facing back to reflect noise/pressure to the shooter.  So in open environments they work similarly to small linear comps and flash cans. The linear comps and flash cans that are simple, lightweight, one-piece don’t do much for flash in darkness. Others with complex parts for flash reduction are almost half the weight or more of a lightweight direct thread suppressor.  Inside, or near hard reflective surfaces a suppressor is best.  The ammo plays a big role in flash. Expensive HD/duty ammo often has flash inhibitors in the propellant. With the right barrel length for cartridge and premium ammo an open prong FH that can mount a suppressor is most useful with or without suppressor. For gun games and top competitors were split times across a stage compound/matter a comp or gas-tuned lightened BCG starts to drive choices away from the pedestrian FH.

Many muzzle devices are high profit margin muzzle jewelry.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
Many muzzle devices are high profit margin muzzle jewelry.
View Quote

How dare you 😆
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#15]
As mentioned, a suppressor.

Still loud, but not as loud. 11.5 is decent, 7.5 is still pretty darn loud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top