Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2021 1:52:25 PM EDT
The day we've all been waiting on is upon us. After a 45 minute password reset process, constant 504 errors, and waiting a few minutes for each new page to load, eForm 4 is available.

Anybody successfully gotten one submitted? We went bust at the "Add Firearm" screen, as our eForm inventory is showing we've got..... nothing in inventory.

Looks like the only option for uploading digital fingerprints is in an EFT format, which I'm guessing very few were setup with scanners ready to go for.

The alternative generates a cover letter for the customer to submit their fingerprints via mail, similar to an eForm 1.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a mere five grand to get the fingerprint scanner from this source

https://www.bayometric.com/atf-live-scan-nfa-fingerprinting/
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I cant believe they are going to make everyone change their password manually over the phone. During Xmas week.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I cant believe they are going to make everyone change their password manually over the phone. During Xmas week.
View Quote

I was able to change my password without calling. The button will seem like it isn't doing anything, but if you wait a few minutes you'll get an email with a one time password.

I didn't think it was responding and ended up getting 7 one time use passwords, so go with the most recently received if you get more than one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was able to change my password without calling. The button will seem like it isn't doing anything, but if you wait a few minutes you'll get an email with a one time password.
View Quote

This is the email I got:

Please contact the ATF Help Desk (1-877-875-3723) to reset your eForms account password. Thank you for using ATF's eForms system.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
In for info.
I won't be able to do mine until later.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm logged in and pin created. It shows the F1 I submitted last month for a SBR.

LGS called today to let me know the Turbo K I ordered came in so I'll be sitting the F4 next week at the store. Will send prints via mail when I get the cover letter printed.

Sure would be nice to get a 90 or 120 day turnaround on a eForm 4.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm still optimistic it will improve, but I'm about 1.5 total hours into the first form and it's crashed completely 3 times, requiring starting from scratch. Currently showing over 40 draft form 4's, none of which have any information retained.

Adding insult to injury, the most recent crash occurred when the pay.gov pop up got blocked by my browser.

The trick seems to be waiting until a field is auto populated. Enter a zip code, DOB, whatever, and don't do anything else or leave the window until the information auto populates, or the next fields you need become selectable.

Without improvement it wouldn't be realistic for a medium sized place like ours to rely on for submissions from purely a time management standpoint.

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll wait for the rest of y'all to finish beta testing it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Had to call and get my passoword reset. I guess I'll do a form 4 for myself to test after Christmas.

How to do they take prints, pics, signatures, and payment?

Also how will SS get around the "be present in person to answer the questions part" of the process?

Wonder if it will be worth using SS in the future. The cost was well worth it for paper forms.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to call to get my password reset, after 3 or 4 failed attempts on the self service option.  I did spend less than 10 minutes on hold, but I was able to finally get in (Thursday 12/23 @ 14:27 PST).  My history all seems to be there (1 Form 1, 7 Form 4s, smattering of Form 3s.)

I tried doing a Form 4 as a test shortly afterwards, but it errored out at the Transferor screen, saying I need to be an SOT and the SOT Class drop down box didn't work.  I used the "ask the expert" option and sent them a question about it.  Haven't received a response yet, but I just logged in and started the edit on the draft Form 4, and now it seems to be working correctly and "63" is populated in the SOT Class drop down.  But then I clicked around to a few different steps and came back to the Transferor screen, and now the SOT error is back.

My list of available items seems correct too, though I do see a suppressor listed that shouldn't be (F4 to customer was approved May 2018).  I guess I need to call and ask about that.....

Overall, the system seems to be typical government: complete fucking trash.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I did it the other day without issues.

Okay so here are the steps:

1. Goto https://eforms.atf.gov/login

2. Press the "Forgot Password?" located right under the Log in button.

3. Enter your User Name in the text box and press the "Next" button.

4. Enter in your associated email address. and press "Next" button.

5. Go to you email and get your temporary password. Email will be from "[email protected]"

6. Click the link "HERE" in the email and enter in your user name and password. Note don't worry about adding any thing in front of your name.. it autofilled for me.

7. User name, current password (the temporary one), enter in your new password.  After you Submit, it would bring you back to the main login.. just Login again.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The day we've all been waiting on is upon us. After a 45 minute password reset process, constant 504 errors, and waiting a few minutes for each new page to load, eForm 4 is available.

Anybody successfully gotten one submitted? We went bust at the "Add Firearm" screen, as our eForm inventory is showing we've got..... nothing in inventory.

Looks like the only option for uploading digital fingerprints is in an EFT format, which I'm guessing very few were setup with scanners ready to go for.

The alternative generates a cover letter for the customer to submit their fingerprints via mail, similar to an eForm 1.
View Quote

Thanks for posting the image.

Found a company called Printscan that does fingerprinting and offers EFT files, may make an appointment soon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I just checked the inventory on a form 3, and it looks like they've gotten all mine so far. I'll have two customers going through SS for theirs, so I'm not trying any myself until the process gets sorted.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like a mere five grand to get the fingerprint scanner from this source

https://www.bayometric.com/atf-live-scan-nfa-fingerprinting/
View Quote

Woah, is there not a cheaper alternative?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I assume if I get PW reset failed I must call in to reset it ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I assume if I get PW reset failed I must call in to reset it ?
View Quote
It took me an hour on hold the other day to get reset, but the help desk was helpful, competent, and friendly. They're also on duty 24/7/365, so if you do it after hours you're likely to have short/no wait. Discovered that a couple years ago and called them at about 2AM. They were so grateful to have something to do that it was practically palpable in their voice
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My system generates  FD-258 PDF's or Word documents that can either print direct to the .gov supplied finger print card, or to cardstock. Is one of those PDF's acceptable?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My system generates  FD-258 PDF's or Word documents that can either print direct to the .gov supplied finger print card, or to cardstock. Is one of those PDF's acceptable?
No.

They're looking for a Biometric Electronic File Transaction (EFT) file.
Most systems seem to generate such files with a *.NIST extension rather than a *.EFT extension.

The FBI Specification 8.1.0 EFT isn't exactly spelled out in a noticeable place.
This appears to be it, but 8.1 is an old spec (from 2008). It's an FBI implementation of EBTS (Electronic Biometric Transmission Specification):
https://fbibiospecs.fbi.gov/file-repository/ebts_v8_1_11-19-08.pdf

The latest approved version is 11.0 and I found the above 8.1 document here in their archives: https://www.fbibiospecs.cjis.gov/EBTS/Archive

Where eForms states "Transaction type must be FAUF" they're referring to the TOT (Type of Transaction) field within the EFT file.
FAUF specifies "Federal Applicant User Fee".

Here are all the TOTs for tenprint submissions:
TOT TRANSACTION
CAR Criminal Tenprint Submission (Answer Required)
CNA Criminal Tenprint Submission (No Answer Necessary)
CPDR Criminal Fingerprint Direct Route
CPNU Criminal Fingerprint Processing Non-Urgent
DOCE Departmental Order Channeling Electronic
EMUF Electronic In/Manual Out User Fee Submissions
FANC Federal Applicant (No Charge)
FAUF Federal Applicant User Fee
FNDR Federal No Charge Direct Route
NNDR Non-Federal No Charge Direct Route
NFAP Non-Federal Advanced Payment
NFUE Non-Federal UserFee Expedite
NFUF Non-Federal Applicant User Fee
MAP Miscellaneous Applicant Civil
DEK Known Deceased
DEU Unknown Deceased
MPR Missing Person
AMN Amnesia Victim

Looks like there are various versions of EBTS implemented at different federal agencies, so you'll have to ensure the EFT file complies with whatever specific version the receiving agency is utilizing (which is 8.1.0 in this case).

Here's an example of various EFT fields/contents (which they refer to as record types) from the state of Texas: https://www.dps.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/administration/crime_records/docs/cjis/txdpsrpis-rpisr-errtdef.pdf
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
@HansohnBrothers

Did your fingerprint software company come up with anything?
I saw your post where you mentioned it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:56:24 AM EDT
[#25]
So......finally able to be let in to change my password.

Now the old system was down on Wednesdays; I don't know if that's still the case?

The old eforms site would only work for me using Chrome browser.  It works with Chrome and Safari now, I have confirmed.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Browsers seem hit or miss. Was working on Chrome for me on 1x PC yesterday, it would just load and load for me. Switch to Firefox or Microsoft Edge... worked no issue.

I noticed their new website says Microsoft on it, so I'll just stick either Egde assuming it should work.
View Quote

Mr Esstac!  Good to see you on.  I hope this latest upgrade works across the board on browsers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone found a reasonably priced fingerprint scanner/software alternative for small dealers?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Has anyone found a reasonably priced fingerprint scanner/software alternative for small dealers?
View Quote

Doesn't exist unfortunately.. we ended up going with a print scan, came out to around 3,500
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I went with Fulcrum Biometrics.

I'm a small dealer, I don't do this full time, and it's paying for itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top