Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2018 10:49:05 PM EDT
It seems like every other case the case mouth hits the stem on the decapping pin and I have to finagle the case.

Doesn't someone make a tapered replacement pin?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Chuck it up on a drill and use a small flat smooth file to reshape the stem where it meets the pin.  I did mine several years ago and have not had an issue with breaking the stem or pin.  I rarely have it catch a case mouth now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You are hitting those fucking crimped pockets. They suck. At least my experience
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have more problems with the primers not releasing on the first handle pull. Have to pump the handle a couple times or more to get the primer to finally drop and then it drops on the floor because it falls through the slot in the ram. Adjusting the pin depth doesn't help much either.

I think the primer must get stuck on the head of the pin and get partially reinserted in the primer pocket on the up stroke.

A tapered pin would be nice. Shaping the shoulder of the decap rod on the grinder sounds like a good idea too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I always put mine to the grindstone to taper them for that very same reason.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Loosen the die and give it a quarter turn, or straighten up the pin, it’s bent a little.

Don’t push so hard...if ya gotta force it....don’t
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:20:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I hit mine on a fine stone grinder and tapered it, haven't had a problem since.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a similar problem (primers hanging on the decapping pin and being pulled back up into the pocket just enough to stick) but on 9MM brass (one brand, don't remember which one.

Someone on the CZ Forum suggested modifying the end of the decapping pin.  It worked for me.  Just hit the end of it on a hobby belt sander to put an angle on it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I chucked mine in a drill and tapered the stem AND the pin and after I was finished with the tapering, I ran it against a buffing wheel with jewelers rouge.

ZERO problems with sticking now.

Actually, I polish all the expander balls in my dies; it helps prevent neck stretch when pulling the stem out and when paired with case neck graphite, it's slick as ice.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy hardened pins on Amazon.  I didn't find out about these until I bought a stack of regular pins.  I broke a pin the first day in the first 50 rounds I de-capped.  Now that I have a stack, I bet I never break another one.  I have de-capped several thousand cases after that.  I do mainly .223 and .308 and don't have the issue OP describes.  Last pin I bent, I hit a rock.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The end of the rod is square, you have to make it tapered.
View Quote
This. I have deprimed thousands of .223/5.56 cases and had the same issue at first. Did some research and found this same fix, and it does work.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a Mighty Armory decapping die and be done with it.

I made the jump this summer when I got tired of breaking and bending chinesium Lee pins.  Best $35 I spent on something that removes an annoyance.  Ran 6000 pieces thru it on my LnL, crimped rifle, pistol, etc, no issues.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I made the jump this summer when I got tired of breaking and bending chinesium Lee pins.  Best $35 I spent on something that removes an annoyance.  Ran 6000 pieces thru it on my LnL, crimped rifle, pistol, etc, no issues.
View Quote
Bookmarked. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#14]
My LYMAN decapping die had a single piece rod and pin.  It worked for decades.  When I broke the pin, I bought a Sinclair decapping die to replace it.

Yes, money well spent.  It should last me the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for taper it on a grinder and run.

When I mount a Case Kicker on the press, the process just runs very fast and smooth.

The Dillon Super Swage tweaks and the Case Kicker on the press, means starting up a batch of crimped primers is no big deal.

To go any faster I have to run through a 1050 or modified 650. I don't run into once fired Mil-Spec brass as much as I used to.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I use the Squirrell Daddy hardened tapered pin on amazon. Works much better for those stubborn crimped primers.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
^This +1000!
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Never heard of them before, but now that I have, I'm gonna get one.

Dammit... ARFcom has cost me money AGAIN.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Never heard of them before, but now that I have, I'm gonna get one.

Dammit... ARFcom has cost me money AGAIN.
View Quote
If you purchase a die, look up the owner on Facebook before you order.  He does a deal where you buy 2 replacement pins, and he sends you 5.  Wayne is a hell of a nice guy, and stands behind his stuff 100%.

Also, buy the AP .070" pins, they are significantly stronger.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I decap everything with a Frankford Arsenal hand decapping unit before wet tumbling and have never had problems with mil crimped primers. It takes a little extra squeeze but they pop right out.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It seems like every other case the case mouth hits the stem on the decapping pin and I have to finagle the case.

Doesn't someone make a tapered replacement pin?
View Quote

I had the same issue on bulk reloading.  I kept breaking the pins.  I put it in the trash and switched to a Dillon.  No issues since.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Oddly enough, when I am decapping 223/556 brass using same decapping die in a Lee Hand Press I experience very little of the issue I've described (case mouth hitting the squared-off edge of the decapping rod)

Weird.

In any case I use the hand press very little compared to my two bench mounted single stage presses. As an interim I am having someone with more tools than I taper the existing stem on the Lee die. Purchase from Mighty Armory forthcoming.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Make sure your cases are all the way into the shell holder before raising the ram.  There is zero play in the Lee Decapper's rod, so if the case isn't centered, the rod is going to hit the case mouth.  It's way more noticeable on .22 caliber cases too.

After that, do what dryflash3 says and taper that rod a bit.  It isn't hard to do and will help things move a lot easier.

SOME brands of brass have factory primers that...suck.  PRVI primers, for example, tend to buckle internally so the anvil just distorts the bottom of the cup instead of pushing it out.  For those, sometimes you may need to use a manual decapping pin (I use the manual pin from an old Lee Loader set), but when this happens on a press, you wind up taking the case out IN THE SHELL HOLDER because the distorted primer cup locks the case into it.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I use the Squirrell Daddy hardened tapered pin on amazon. Works much better for those stubborn crimped primers.
View Quote
Thanks. I was looking for that under: flying squirrel, secret squirrel, all kinds of squirrel shit!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#26]
A Mighty Armory "Magnum" decapping die and primer pocket swage kit are en route.

(they also gave me 10% off for the whole shebang by typing the word reloading in the coupon code box at checkout)
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Good call.  Those guys have some excellent stuff.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:32:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Where is Mighty Armory located? Didn't see anything on the website.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:40:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I broke several Lee pins and had a never ending series of snags. I bought a 3 pack of Squirrel Daddy pins and life has been great. I’ll probably still be using the first one when I die. They are smooth feeding and indestructible.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Where is Mighty Armory located? Didn't see anything on the website.
View Quote
Google say Cranston, RI.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A Mighty Armory "Magnum" decapping die and primer pocket swage kit are en route.

(they also gave me 10% off for the whole shebang by typing the word reloading in the coupon code box at checkout)
View Quote
I havent used the swage kit, but like I said, I beat the crap out of their decapping die this summer.  I did bend my pin, which was my fault processing 9mm at 800 pieces an hour on a LnL.  In short, I was pushing as fast as I could, and a case got sideways, my fault.  I straightened the pin, and went back to work.

I used a Lee die for 70k rounds and for the most part, they are pretty good.  In that time I probably went thru a dozen pins.  Some got bent, but I wore a couple out too.  This includes Squirrel Daddy pins, Lee pins that were chamfered, etc.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#32]
When using the Lee 9mm Resizing Die to deprime/resize brass about half the time I hear a distinctive little "PLING" sound when the end of the pin pushes out the primer. Sounds like someone is plucking a harp string.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#33]
What's the point of decapping 5.56 brass, why not just do it during the resizing process?  Seems like it adds an unnecessary step...
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What's the point of decapping 5.56 brass, why not just do it during the resizing process?  Seems like it adds an unnecessary step...
View Quote
If tumbling using dry media it would be unnecessary. In this case I'm wet tumbling; the primers need to be removed first.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:46:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That "pling" sound is the decapping pin returning to center after being driven off center by an out of spec flashole. (trying to not say off center flashole as I already used center twice in that sentence)

I throw those cases in the scrap brass bucket.
View Quote
Given the extreme number of "plings" I am inclined to believe the resizing die's decapping pin is slightly bent and needs replacing.

Oh, and the Mighty Armory stuff arrived today. SWEET! This is quality stuff! Machining and finish is first-rate!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top