Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2018 9:44:40 AM EDT
just replaced my front entry door with door armour and reinforced the framing, etc.  since my door has glass in the center, what are we doing in regards to preventing glass break reach in to unlock the deadbolt?  i feel this may be the weak point in my door.  im  not too keen on double cylinder deadbolts.  any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have this same problem, so far I have come up with a couple options:

Install glass break sensor on your alarm system, near the door.
Laminate the glass to prevent/slow down unlocking.
Install double cylinder lock.
Install security door stop.
Install security door in front of regular door, with deadbolt/jamb armor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a double cylinder deadbolt with a removable latch. The inside latch looks like a normal deadbolt latch, but there is a key hole below the latch. When you want to remove the latch, you insert the normal key and turn, then you can pull the latch out and it becomes a normal double deadbolt.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Who makes that?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who makes that?

Thanks
View Quote
Mul-t-lock

Heres a pic. I have the "Hercular" deadbolt with this feature. I am not sure which other models have it.

The black Key is the normal door key, and the latch below it pulls out to leave a regular key hole like any double deadbolt. The upper key hole is just to release the latch key. The latch looks like a brass thumb latch, but has a key blade sticking out that gets inserted into the cylinder and locks in with the regular key.
I only take the latch out when we go away for more than a day.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The weak point in all these tricky tricks is the 2 screws that hold the lock together. Most thieves will bring (or use yours) a screwdriver and in 6 seconds the whole lock is off the door and the bolt can be manipulated by a 10 year old. Just saying.
View Quote
There are plenty of deadbolts that don’t use traditional screws to attach the two halves.

Not to mention it would take much longer than 6 seconds to unscrew both of them, pull the lock out, stick a device in the hole (likely in the dark) and throw the deadbolt. Just, incredibly unlikely.

Now if you’re security system is layered, they’d have to do all that while an alarm is going off and police are on their way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are plenty of deadbolts that don’t use traditional screws to attach the two halves.

Not to mention it would take much longer than 6 seconds to unscrew both of them, pull the lock out, stick a device in the hole (likely in the dark) and throw the deadbolt. Just, incredibly unlikely.

Now if you’re security system is layered, they’d have to do all that through a jagged hole in the glass without the ability to see in the hole while an alarm is going off and police are on their way.
View Quote
FTFY
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
No one mentioned replace the door with one without glass in it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have Abloy deadbolts. ($$$) They are normal thumbturn on the inside, but can be optionally locked from the inside to become double cylinder locks. A little red flag pops out the top when that happens. The locks come with an emergency key you can put near the door that will open it from the inside only. There is also no possible way to non-destructively disassemble it when it's locked.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mul-t-lock

Heres a pic. I have the "Hercular" deadbolt with this feature. I am not sure which other models have it.

https://static-mpc-mult-production.assaabloy.com/fileexplorer/Fetchfile.aspx?id=1921&ft=.jpg&mh=420&mw=1020

The black Key is the normal door key, and the latch below it pulls out to leave a regular key hole like any double deadbolt. The upper key hole is just to release the latch key. The latch looks like a brass thumb latch, but has a key blade sticking out that gets inserted into the cylinder and locks in with the regular key.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who makes that?

Thanks
Mul-t-lock

https://static-mpc-mult-production.assaabloy.com/fileexplorer/Fetchfile.aspx?id=1921&ft=.jpg&mh=420&mw=1020

Medeco makes one too, it is called a captive deadbolt.

ETA even found a video;

Medeco Maxum Deadbolt: How the Thumbturn Works | Medeco Locks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top