Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2021 9:32:04 AM EDT
I got one of the M1 Carbines from Midway USA and want to clean up and put some sort of protective coating on it.  I was reading on here where someone suggested using a Mr Clean white scrub pad and some Dawn dish soap to get all of the grime and grease off of it.  Is there another way or is that good?  I've heard some people mention boiled linseed oil, but I was wondering if anyone had some other suggestions.

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You could also try Mineral Spirits to clean the stock up.  Either Boiled Linseed Oil or Tung Oil are the preferred stock finishes, but Teak Oil also works quite well.  Follow the instructions on the can, and be certain to allow the product to fully cure before applying an additional coat.  There are numerous threads about refinishing wooden stocks on the Interwebz.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean it with denatured alcohol.
When you are happy apply your choice of , Tung, BLO or RLO.
Use bare hands and rub it in, let it dry at least 24-36 hrs.
Wipe off excess and re apply. I usually am happy with 2-4 coats of BLO.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all of this info, guys.  I'll do a bit more reading and get cracking on this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top