Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 7:00:06 AM EDT
This is surely a dumb question, but I was watching a youtube video where a guy had an M1 Garand that the action locked back on an empty gun, then closed itself when he inserted the 8 round ammo clip.  I bought a service grade Springfield M1 from CMP probably 8 years ago, played around with it but never shot it, and let it live in the safe since then.  My action never stayed open on its own, it always wanted to ride forward automatically no matter how far I pulled it back.  I'm sure I'm doing something something wrong, but what am I doing wrong?  On the off chance that something is wrong with my gun, what could it be?  Please forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about the M1, I just always wanted one because I'm pure blooded American and because I can.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Google is your friend!

Some Notes On How The M1 Garand Magazine Really Works, And Some More Myths Dispelled
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Something is wrong or your not getting it far enough back. There is good videos on how the action works. You can pull it out of the stock and look and see what is happening or not when you pull it back. The operating rod and catch have obvious hooks to hold the bolt back. Typically is is a worn or bent parts causing problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top