Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2018 7:25:44 AM EDT
so I'm thinking about adding a bolt action in .22lr to the collection..
one day it will be used to teach my son to shoot so I'd like to spend my money once but without breaking the bank.

Im not familiar with the current .22lr offering but I've found the Savage B22 FV-SR that looks interesting.

what else is available in a similar configuration?
any major difference in quality between different manufacturers?
any mfg to stay away?
my first & only .22 was a Marlin Papoose.. fun little rifle btw.

thanks
F.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a Savage MKII I turned into a psuedo training rifle for my long range rigs. It shot well, but the construction was lackluster and cheap.

I replaced it with a CZ 455 with a threaded bull barrel and a Boyds tacticool stock that was pillar bedded. It shoots about a 1/4 to 1/3 MOA better, at almost 3x the cost. However I'm much happier with the construction and machining of the rifle. The trigger is also worlds better, even before I dropped a Yo'Dave kit into it for like $30. i can also re-barrel it down the road with a Lija or similar if the mood strikes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#2]
How old will your son be when you start training? I ask because a regular rifle will be too big for a lil guy. Both my kids have their own Savage Rascal and are very comfortable with them. Heck, I can shoot it no problem and they're very accurate. Also make a great backpack/camping gun. Only cost about $125 so it's not a huge investment.

Most of the modern 22lr will be fine. It's what your budget allows and if you'll need the availability of aftermarket parts. If the kid's just going to plink around a bit, then a $150-200 rifle is all you need and is probably the best starting point. Get their feet wet and see where it goes. There are great 22lr rifles out there, but is $400-500 a price you want to pay if it doesn't pan out? Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Own a nice piece of history, Mossberg 46B.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788790233
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
If I was going to shoot it at all, I would go CZ.

I have a tuned and redone 77/22 with a 20 inch Shilen (threaded) barrel and trigger job.  I plan on my daughters to learn on that gun.  Personally I find inaccurate guns to be boring and detrimental to learning.

It’s a very long story on the 77/22 but if I had to start fresh with a 22 bolt action, I’d go CZ.   More expensive than the CZ and diminishing returns, less expensive and potentially accuracy suffers.

For me, I always suppress 22LR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Ruger Precision?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had both the older Savage and the Ruger American Rimfire. I greatly prefer the Ruger.

If you're truly in Italy, I'd say CZ.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#7]
CZ Varmint (Timney trigger and Leupold)
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Break the mold and buy something less cookie cutter.  I have an Ultra Light Arms .22lr, most if not all wrk is done in-house, an absolute tack driver
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the savage you're talking about, and it's one of my favorite guns and a crowd pleaser. I put a trijicon 3-9 on it because I'm insane. if I can see it on the range, I can hit it. Easy to ring steel at 100 yards even in wind, and I was messing around shooting out staples at 10 yards last week. Suppressed it's nice to shoot, but with subs it's crazy. I could shoot it in my house and my wife might not notice. she didn't from the garage ;)

it feels cheap and it is cheap, but shoots above its class. I will drop it in a cooler stock when I remember, but until then it will go to the range every visit I do.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old will your son be when you start training? I ask because a regular rifle will be too big for a lil guy. Both my kids have their own Savage Rascal and are very comfortable with them. Heck, I can shoot it no problem and they're very accurate. Also make a great backpack/camping gun. Only cost about $125 so it's not a huge investment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
hes 4 now and Id like to introduce him to shooting next year.

Quoted:
Most of the modern 22lr will be fine. It's what your budget allows and if you'll need the availability of aftermarket parts.
Im usually more parhanoid about replacement parts, so I'd prefer a solid platform with parts readily available.

Quoted:
If the kid's just going to plink around a bit, then a $150-200 rifle is all you need and is probably the best starting point. Get their feet wet and see where it goes. There are great 22lr rifles out there, but is $400-500 a price you want to pay if it doesn't pan out? Just my $0.02
due to the way shooting sports are regulated over here, he will start with basic target shooting from the bench.
the .22lr is growing on me so I'd liek to use it as well.

Im checking the catalog of a big importer right now.. seems like the CZ 455, the Ruger American Rimfire and the Savage B22 are in the same price range..
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Then go CZ all Day if priced similar
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
CZ455.

If cost is not a significant concern, go ahead for the version with the Manners Stock.  Light, (relatively) inexpensive, and stupid accurate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#13]
CZ makes a 455 Scout rifle which has a shortened stock for kids.  It also has a single shot mag and iron sights. Fully compatible with other 455 barrels and accessories. My son turns 8 in the spring and there will be one of these rifles in the safe pretty soon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a B22 that is awesome (see my thread HERE) its so much fun to just sit and plink 100-200 yards with it. I really liked the CZ Tacticool but for the price I went with the Savage. My dad bought the Ruger American Rimfire Target and surprisingly it doesn’t shoot as well as the Savage no matter what ammo you feed it, both of them shoot CCI standards the best though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CZ makes a 455 Scout rifle which has a shortened stock for kids.  It also has a single shot mag and iron sights. Fully compatible with other 455 barrels and accessories. My son turns 8 in the spring and there will be one of these rifles in the safe pretty soon.
View Quote
The Scout is very accurate and even fun to shoot as an adult. My child started with one for NRA 3p and CMP rimfire sporter. It is getting passed down to my other child soon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks I didn’t know that
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Size matters.

Meaning.....consider buying a rifle that has a stock that will fit him.  Something cheap enough, that it won't be a great loss, if you have to cut the stock.  And/or maybe a USED rifle.    So then, Ruger 10/22 stocks can be found really cheap at most gun shows.  However, it's not a bolt action.   It's an "assault rifle" if I-1639 passes here in WA State.  Ok....Sorry about that.  But, good luck with your search.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#18]
CZ are a poor successor of the firm they took over, IMHO.

Get the original not the copy, look for a good used BRNO Model 2 or maybe even a Model 1.
Had my Model 2 for three decades, only sold it as, I'd found a decent Model 1 instead.

The CZ452 magazines all fit the BRNO bolt actions

I'd avoid the 455, seen more than a few lemons & heard lots of mixed reports. (I worked at the importers here for a while, so some inside intel too)
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I chose Savage because it was available in a left hand action for about the same price.  I keep a regular FVSR handy as a guest loaner gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Why not a Ruger American? They have adjustable stocks.......
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Since you are in Italy and not subject to the Chinese arms ban like the U.S. I would look at the Norinco JW-15.

I have a "Pre-Ban" one and it is a clone of the CZ rifles and any that I have ever encountered shoot amazingly well and are around $150.

I love mine and wish they were still available here in the U.S.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
CZ are a poor successor of the firm they took over, IMHO.
View Quote
Not based on my experience of owning 4-5 CZ 452s.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not based on my experience of owning 4-5 CZ 452s.  
View Quote
How many BRNO's have you owned?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Can you even find a new BRNO any more?  I only saw a couple on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Since you are in Italy and not subject to the Chinese arms ban like the U.S. I would look at the Norinco JW-15.

I have a "Pre-Ban" one and it is a clone of the CZ rifles and any that I have ever encountered shoot amazingly well and are around $150.

I love mine and wish they were still available here in the U.S.
View Quote
I also own a Norinco JW15.   If you can find one, IMHO its a good rifle for the money.

The magazine is also said to be a copy of a CZ.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I was going to say a CZ training rifle but it's probably too big for him. (bout tree fiddy $)
Henry makes a single shot kids rifle as does Savage. (no experience with either, though. under two fiddy $)
Ruger makes a 10/22 carbine and Henry makes a youth H001. ($250-$350)

I have the CZ training rifle and love it. I had a scope on it but moved it to the full stock. The trainer will stay old school.
A lot of it will depend on what you can get.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've had both the older Savage and the Ruger American Rimfire. I greatly prefer the Ruger.

If you're truly in Italy, I'd say CZ.
View Quote
This.

I went with a ruger American Rimfire and like it way better than the Savage. I got the Ruger because my friend and I were not happy with the shitty magazines his Savage had.

He ended up selling his and we both have rugers now.

I would go CV>Ruger>>Savage
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How many BRNO's have you owned?
View Quote
I have an Anschutz too. Ever own one of those?

IIRC, a couple of my CZ's had BRNO on their receivers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:47:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I’m kind of in the same position as the OP.

I’m thinking about getting either
CZ scout and a getting a larger takeoff stock for me
or
CZ trainer and picking up a takeoff scout stock for the kids

Does anyone know of one is easier to put good peep sights on or should I just stick with the tangent sight if I go with the trainer?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Savage B22.  All day
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the savage fvsr, cz455 varmint precision, and the Ruger American rimfire predator,

You're best bang for the buck is the rimfire predator from Ruger, model 8334 with the green stock.

Shoots right with the cz, at 1/3 the price.

The savage is a great fun but those magazines are absolute garbage. They hang out the bottom, sharp edges, they're terrible
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're best bang for the buck is the rimfire predator from Ruger, model 8334 with the green stock.

View Quote
Yours may do so, but that's the only one in 10,000 that will, IMO.

To be fair, all of my CZ's were/are 452's & not 455's.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I was going with the Ruger due to mags...... but that new Savage B22 has a new style mag similar to the Ruger. I just can't find one locally yet.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen lots of reports and reviews with the rimfire precision grouping similar to mine, which is about .5 to.75 at 50 yards with good ammo.

Across several groups my Ruger is maybe just just slightly less accurate than the. 455 varmint precision, like an average of .6ish vs .5.

I suspect that had to do mostly with the stock, as its much lighter and easier to wiggle than the manners on the 455.

So you are right, but it's so close that the price difference makes it almost not worth it.

They are great guns for the money
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
CZ455.

If cost is not a significant concern, go ahead for the version with the Manners Stock.  Light, (relatively) inexpensive, and stupid accurate.
View Quote
The 455 varmint precision is not light by any measure. It's well north of 10lbs
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Here is my field test and comparison of the Ruger and Savage. Two modest prices high performers.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=kLNC2TVFMxk

Here is an in shop close look comparisons of the features of these two rifles.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=VsascbSRK20
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#37]
A quick note to the OP that the Anschutz sporter rifles are easily found on Gun Broker & are usually much nicer rifles than their price would indicate. They seem to hover in the $400-450 range. If I were starting over, I believe I would have one.

A Browning T-Bolt is another nice option in the same price range. I had one but traded it to fund another rifle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ruger Precision?
View Quote
NO!

I bit one one and there is nothing "precision" about it, just a fancy name and no more accurate on the whole as my RARc.

Oh it does well enough for the casual paper puncher that's never shot a real .22 match rifle but that's about it.

Ruger hangs names like Precision and Competition on their .22s and it's really misleading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top