Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/24/2021 2:39:03 AM EDT
Have any of you seen any incendiary projectiles for sale? I'd like to get about 100 of them. My Google fu isn't working that well at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Incendiary disappeared like a fart in the wind.

However, API is flooding the market.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Incendiary disappeared like a fart in the wind.

However, API is flooding the market.
View Quote
Link? I'm interested
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have any of you seen any incendiary projectiles for sale? I'd like to get about 100 of them. My Google fu isn't working that well at the moment.
View Quote

patsreloading.com They are my "hidden gem" for projectiles. I confirmed about a week ago they still have blue tip incendiary in stock. Really good price in this market as well!

Sure, there is also M8 API silver tip ammo. But, I believe there is more (at least 2x) the incendiary compound in the blue tip (M1?) projectiles. When you make a "multi-use" projectile, you have to dull down the effects - you can only fit so much mass into that projectile.

Anyone out there that can give us a comparison of the blue tip vs. silver tip in terms of it's incendiary power? Youtube videos make the projectiles look almost identical when they impact a target. Although, I heard the blue tip is really sensitive to detonation as compared to silver tip.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]
http://polygunbag.com/bullets.html
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I sent Pats a message. I have some API including the new stuff. The bigger flash is part of the reason I want some blue tips.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its time for shoot and tell.

If you plan on shooting blue tips, remember this fun fact. If you're new to the 50 world, blue tips come with a self destruct button.

Yes, I know, it's hard to believe but BT's have been known to explode about 10 feet out of the barrel!

Why you ask? Well back in the day when 50 everything was plentiful and people shot BT's for the excellent light show they provided... shooters started talking about them. These hard-core people noticed a strange thing happening when they fired some of them.

So the discussion began and pretty much came down to resizing and or crimping the bullet to much. The biggest issue was the resizing as it crushes the jacket back to round. This while there's a steel core and about twice the amount of incendiary mixture in there also.

The best theory was that micro cracks probably happened while it was resized and then crimped. When fired all that flame and pressure has to go somewhere! Some will find a way to get into those cracks and BOOM! Airburst right in front of you!

So kids, if you plan on shooting or reloading these, know that there is a danger of this phenomenon happening to you! Wear your safety glasses when shooting them and have fun. Oh and try to video them when you shoot them in case it does happen. I seem to remember someone posting it on Biggerhammer back in the day.
View Quote

I've read about this "self destruct" happening with the blue tips. I thought people attributed it to the muzzle brake that was being used. But, it does make sense that micro cracking could cause it. I read about how the WWII blue tips were purposely made super-sensitive. They had reports of the .50 cal incendiary rounds shooting right through thin airplane fuselage without detonating the incendiary. Thus the "new and improved" super sensitive incendiary! A guy on Gunbroker is stating that incendiary projectiles will literally detonate on a sheet of tinfoil. I assume he is remarking on ordinary WWII surplus M1 blue tips. I'll have to try this out and see if it's true once my projectiles come in.

So, would the consensus be to NOT Crimp at all and NOT resize these blue tip projectiles when loading them up? I don't think the resizing would matter that much - after all, these projectiles are being resized in your barrel @ 2,600 fps and any "micro cracking" issues would happen regardless?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would mic them, if they're to out of round I would resize them. You don't have to crimp most projos, the case will hold them in place.

Most projos sit about a half inch into the case and there's enough pressure to hold them from the neck tension.
View Quote

Thanks! I'll make sure there is NO crimp added and mic the projectiles to check them out. I haven't received them yet, so I don't even know what condition they are in. Not sure if the blue tips were commonly machine pulled, or hand pulled? I know for silver tip API pretty much all you'll find is machine pulled. But, I know Poly Gun Bags was selling hand pulled blue tips not too long ago. I'll see what Pat's sends me once they finally get around to my order.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure the base cap is intact. Also I've found a couple with a loose penetrator which was found by lightly shaking and feeling and hearing a click.  I've sized all my blue tips and crimped and have had none exploding just in front of the muzzle. I have witnessed one go off from anothers rifle. Any bad base caps or loose steel penetrators gets scrapped.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Make sure the base cap is intact. Also I've found a couple with a loose penetrator which was found by lightly shaking and feeling and hearing a click.  I've sized all my blue tips and crimped and have had none exploding just in front of the muzzle. I have witnessed one go off from anothers rifle. Any bad base caps or loose steel penetrators gets scrapped.
View Quote

Thanks for the tips! I didn't realize there was a base cap in the blue tips, I thought it was a lead plug like the silver tip api projectiles.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes the Blue Tip does have a lead plug base seal but I've seen a very few with a damaged or poorly sealed lead base.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Any idea what the turn around time is for e-mails fro Pat's?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any idea what the turn around time is for e-mails fro Pat's?
View Quote

I think I emailed them months ago to check the availability of components and they never got back to me. I ended up just calling them during business hours. I got right through to Brian and he confirmed stock and took my order down. Still no word on shipping or order status though.

Give Brian a call and he'll take care of you!
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Its time for shoot and tell.

If you plan on shooting blue tips, remember this fun fact. If you're new to the 50 world, blue tips come with a self destruct button.

Yes, I know, it's hard to believe but BT's have been known to explode about 10 feet out of the barrel!

Why you ask? Well back in the day when 50 everything was plentiful and people shot BT's for the excellent light show they provided... shooters started talking about them. These hard-core people noticed a strange thing happening when they fired some of them.

So the discussion began and pretty much came down to resizing and or crimping the bullet to much. The biggest issue was the resizing as it crushes the jacket back to round. This while there's a steel core and about twice the amount of incendiary mixture in there also.

The best theory was that micro cracks probably happened while it was resized and then crimped. When fired all that flame and pressure has to go somewhere! Some will find a way to get into those cracks and BOOM! Airburst right in front of you!

So kids, if you plan on shooting or reloading these, know that there is a danger of this phenomenon happening to you! Wear your safety glasses when shooting them and have fun. Oh and try to video them when you shoot them in case it does happen. I seem to remember someone posting it on Biggerhammer back in the day.
View Quote

I believe this just happened on Demolition Ranch and messed up his Barrett QDL!

This is a direct link to 9:12 for the .50 action.
There's a post credit scene where he shows damage to his silencer.

I Got a Brand New Hi Point Rifle with Whistlin Diesel
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#17]
So, do M8 (API) or M20 (APIT) projectiles have the same risk as the “blue tip”?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#19]
funny to see the inversion of ball being cheaper now than Incendiary...I stocked up on API/I years ago, now I'm buying Ball
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
funny to see the inversion of ball being cheaper now than Incendiary...I stocked up on API/I years ago, now I'm buying Ball
View Quote

Where are you finding M33 ball for that cheap? I'm still able to find surplus blue tip for around $1 each shipped, but can't find ball for that price. I know 50 BMG Supply has them, but their shipping is pretty expensive - $25 for something that can go into a $8 flat rate box.

And as for Pat's Reloading projectiles, I haven't heard anything on my order placed over a month ago. I'll have to call them up and see that kind of ETA we are looking at for their orders.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where are you finding M33 ball for that cheap? I'm still able to find surplus blue tip for around $1 each shipped, but can't find ball for that price. I know 50 BMG Supply has them, but their shipping is pretty expensive - $25 for something that can go into a $8 flat rate box.

And as for Pat's Reloading projectiles, I haven't heard anything on my order placed over a month ago. I'll have to call them up and see that kind of ETA we are looking at for their orders.
View Quote

sorry, loaded ammo is what I was thinking not projectiles or bullets
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't heard anything from him either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I haven't heard anything from him either.
View Quote

I just called and spoke with Brian at Pat's Reloading. He said they are backed up/delayed on the sized projectiles. But my order with all unsized projectiles should be shipping in the next few days. So, figure about 1.5 months from order date for unsized, and probably 2+ months if your order contained any sized projectiles. For those of you considering placing an order - go unsized and buy yourself a $23 Lee sizing die and get your order quicker!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got my blue tips in today from Pat's! They look better than I expected with minimal corrosion:

It seems like the light blue tipped projectiles are newer than the darker ones. But, that is just me guessing. 2 of the "blue tips" were silver API, so I got shorted. Other than that, I'm happy with them and can't wait to load them up.

Does anyone have a recommended starting load for the blue tips and WC860 pull-down powder?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top