Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2020 10:24:03 AM EDT
I am considering building a form 1 suppressor for my 4.5" AR pistol with a binary trigger. I know it will see lots of use in rapid fire target engagement and mag dumps. (I.E. I have put 3,650+ rounds through it in the past two months with and without a friends suppressor)

I am looking for suggestions on how I should proceed with the build. I had considered cones and K's but was concerned that the K's might become fouled rather quickly.  

I was planning on making this a Titanium build.

I have access to a machine shop with a manual lathe and end mill.  

Thanks in advance.

PS yes I have used the search function, but have not seen anything in relation to binary trigger usage.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not skirted cones?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Titanium is probably over-kill unless weight is an issue. If weight is an issue then machining 416 or 17-4 stainless thin enough can get very close. Size wise a 1.375” OD/ 1.25” ID tube of 6061, 6-7” long will look right and give options to adapt a 3-lug mount.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with skirted cones. For material you would never have to worry about 17-4 internals, I don't think the tube is going to matter as much, a titanium tube is probably overkill from the strength and weight savings perspective, particularly on the AR pistol where the proportional difference in weight is small.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Other than the brake, blast spacer, and blast baffle, this is 100% Aluminum. Built a couple years ago on a Spike's 22lr upper. It has well over 5k rounds through it, which isn't a lot. It's not the first 22lr I've done w/ Al; several are 100% Al.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I will tell you right out of the gate, that my opinion is probably not in the majority but here goes.

I don't care for the serviceable trend with silencers.

I don't want to have to clean the silencer after 200-500 rounds.

A sealed aluminum rimfire can is both very light and very quiet.

It takes over 10,000 rounds of use to "fill up" a sealed aluminum rimfire can.

I have the ability to make a sealed aluminum rimfire can for less than $5 out-of-pocket.

With all that being said, I'd rather spend $200 to create a new silencer when I "fill up" the silencer than clean it every time I take it out.

Plus I'd have to have multiple as I usually shoot more than a brick of .22 when I do take it out.

I know it's not the popular opinion, but it's the route I choose.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crazyelece:I'd rather spend $200 to create a new silencer when I "fill up" the silencer than clean it every time I take it out.
View Quote

This is my preferance as the next one being built will be a revised model. Always moving towards better suppression.
There was another thread where I broke down the cost of ammo and suppressor, over an expected "lifetime". The cost of a new can was so marginal, it wasn't worth the time to clean them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top