Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2021 11:06:01 AM EDT
Looking for a new can to run with a mcx tacops, 300blk. Want to go for maximum suppression for this one.

I was thinking Nomad LT but not sure as I don't like how many pieces can unscrew. Especially if it's going under a handguard.

Others considerations were the CGS hyperion and the SIG 762Ti. It seems like the Nomad LT is the lightest but maybe not the most "robust" (threaded parts, not construction)

What are your guys' thoughts on the perfect can for a tacops?

ETA: I run cherrybombs/plan b on my cans. would want to do the same or direct thread for the MCX
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I have Nomad-30s on both my 300 blk guns, and they perform very well. I’m about to switch one from Keymo to xeno.

I’ve got a Nomad LT in jail but I have not shot it yet. I am going to Xeno that to my Ruger Precision Rifle.

I have a Nomad L on a 6.5 Grendel SBR, and that thing performs really well. Without the can, that rifle is hilariously loud. With the can it is probably hearing-safe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems like a Q Thunderchicken ought to be up for consideration. Omega 36M could also fit your mount preferences.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Others considerations were the CGS hyperion and the SIG 762Ti.
View Quote

The Hyperion 762 was literally made for a version of the MCX with a 6.75" barrel. It's also a much stronger silencer with better concentricity.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i didnt realize the hyperion had the 25 degree taper. might even look into a k version too
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Q, Deadair Nomad line, Rex MG all will work the cherry bomb. For the latter 2, put 3 drops of Rocksett in a pattern on the plan B and finger tight in, then crank it on with a wrench. I put the plan B wrench flat in the vise and give the can a good snap of wrist tight. You won't have any problems with it coming loose then. I like having everything on plan B QD to be compatible to go shorter, longer when needed. For 300BLK I'd save weight by going with a Ti offering (NOMAD LT or Q).

The CGS would be a good option if you don't care about having QD for use with other guns or if you are just going to leave this can on the MCX
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The CGS would be a good option if you don't care about having QD for use with other guns or if you are just going to leave this can on the MCX
View Quote

The Hyperion can be used with Hyperion Thread Adapters. HTAs are muzzle devices that convert 90 deg shouldered barrels to have the SIG 25 deg taper non-permanently, and they allow the end user to use the Hyperion on stuff like 1/2x28 5.56 hosts with more thread types to come later. Just about as fast on and off as a Cherry Bomb.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-27-cgs-hyperion-savage-308

Figure 7; a bit more than half way down.

Note this was done with .308 and a bolt action rifle, but the chart compares different silencers in the same configuration.

+Sig taper.
+Vented front cap option to reduce [back pressure] in high volume strings.
+Structurally and materially impressive. Perhaps the strongest of existing Ti cans.

Paco_ramirez is a (the?) developer, and can speak more to Hyperion/Hyperion K performance with subs vs supers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Hyperion can be used with Hyperion Thread Adapters. HTAs are muzzle devices that convert 90 deg shouldered barrels to have the SIG 25 deg taper non-permanently, and they allow the end user to use the Hyperion on stuff like 1/2x28 5.56 hosts with more thread types to come later. Just about as fast on and off as a Cherry Bomb.
View Quote

I realize, OP said he is currently using Plan B with his other cans. We'll disagree on Plan B vs. 1/2x28 regarding how easy on/off, forgiving it is
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I realize, OP said he is currently using Plan B with his other cans. We'll disagree on Plan B vs. 1/2x28 regarding how easy on/off, forgiving it is
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure he is saying that the Hyperion Thread Adapters are as fast as a cherry bomb not 1/2x28 threads
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-27-cgs-hyperion-savage-308

Note this was done with .308 and a bolt action rifle, but the chart compares different silencers in the same configuration.

+Sig taper.
+Structurally and materially impressive. Perhaps the strongest of existing Ti cans.

Paco_ramirez is a (the?) developer, and can speak more to Hyperion/Hyperion K performance with subs vs supers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+Sig taper.

Back pressure =/= blowback. Backpressure chart data is preliminary. And I'm also pretty sure that none of the prior article charts were updated since the last two revisions were made to the back pressure analysis.

I design everything made by CGS. CGS rifle silencers were all designed for semi auto rifles and machine guns to reduce sound, flash, and gas. Using a fully vented end cap on a Hyperion will make it so a Rattler or 6.75" MCX with subs won't even cycle because there isn't enough gas going back into the system, and maybe with supers too - I can't remember off the top of my head. Just as an example, I can also tell you a Griffin Recce 5 will have more back pressure than a CGS Hyperion fullsize on an 11.5" 5.56 despite the size disparity. Obviously the Recce 5 has a tighter bore, probably ~.300" at the front cap whereas the Hyperion is .375" at the front cap.

The DMLS additive manufacturing process we use creates parts with even higher strength and hardness than billet and forgings, with zero points of failure such as welds. The DMLS process can create fully dense parts, with better material density than a billet or cast product. On top of that, there are no welds to break and there are no welds to cause warping and concentricity issues because there are no welds in our silencers. There's a lot that can go wrong with a faulty weld, and our manufacturing process eliminates those issues and their byproducts entirely. Faulty welds can easily slip through the QC cracks until it’s in the hands of the end user. Every single batch of CGS DMLS silencers is inspected in a lab to ensure they meet/exceed standards for material properties. Our titanium silencers are stronger and more durable than other titanium silencers because we also do a proprietary heat treatment to increase strength. We use an internal hexagonal boron nitride coating which largely prevents fouling from sticking. Simplicity in design eliminates small, complex cavities that can clog with fouling, and the CGS rifle silencer design itself deals with heat and pressure much better than traditional designs, further increasing the abuse they can handle. And contrary to popular belief, all CGS rifle silencers were originally made for semi auto and select fire rifles. Their incredible performance on precision bolt guns is just a happy coincidence. You can shoot any 7.62mm projectile out of it you want to regardless of the case behind it. As far as design, ours is very unique in the industry and it actually works. The Hyperion has incredible supersonic sound reduction performance, but it's also one of the very few that doesn't sacrifice subsonic suppression to achieve it. It excels at both supersonic and subsonic suppression without compromise.

Quoted:

I didn't see his edit. Not sure what you're talking about with 1/2x28, that's a barrel thread. HTAs are just as easy on/off and have the same retention benefit as a Cherry Bomb, and we've timed the on/off difference which was just a couple seconds and negligible. HTAs are just a non-permanent SIG 25 deg taper shoulder for a barrel that can be used on multiple different thread types. I've seen far more Plan Bs and Cherry Bombs carbon lock together than I've seen silencers carbon lock to SIG tapered barrels. And of the two, the silencer is far easier to remove when stuck from the SIG tapered barrel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a hyperion, its going live on the MCX. It checked all the boxes I was looking for and then some. The tapered direct thread was the only thing I wrongly thought it was missing. But now after reading the pew science reviews I might want a second for my 6.5creed. or would a K version be better for longer barrels?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a Nomad-L.  It’s quiet and durable enough to blast away with super and not worry about the can (when 300 BLK could actually be obtained.)
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a hyperion, its going live on the MCX. It checked all the boxes I was looking for and then some. The tapered direct thread was the only thing I wrongly thought it was missing. But now after reading the pew science reviews I might want a second for my 6.5creed. or would a K version be better for longer barrels?
View Quote

Thanks for buying. The fullsize is significantly quieter than the K variant. I'd only get the K for that purpose if you don't want the length, but understand the sound reduction will suffer compared to the fullsize.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top