Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2022 8:49:46 PM EDT
I think the GS-6741 is the most common top civilian tier lock (its what I currently have) and:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1mdjQBV_-Jv2lf9QZ4chNtW656EOVXzl

apparently the big vulnerability here is the differences in the sizes of the wheels.
cant they just laser them to .001 of an inch?  what gives????
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh, safes remove temptation from the honest and perhaps slow down a crook a bit. A crook with an angle grinder and a bit of time will have your stuff.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never heard of a burglar opening a safe this way. I guess it has to many disadvantages for crooks like having to learn it, the unpredictable long opening time and the high-profile modus operandi.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Those with the ability and drive to educate themselves with such techniques aren't out there knocking off home of average people. Meth heads can't focus long enough to learn and practice these things.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I  have a Treadlock gun cabinet with a key lock. It uses a Medeco key system. It's not fireproof but it'll do. Just checked they seem to have gone out of business about a decade ago. I figure it might slow someone down a couple minutes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Your link shows a playlist of combo lock hacking. There's a WHOLE community out there, mostly lock geeks, who share this info and how to's for hacking locks. Ever watch the lock picking lawyer?

But like I said they're mostly just lock geeks. There are real safe hackers out there that already have this info and they really know what they're doing. Normal smash and grab criminals? Forgetaboutit. Outside of brute force attacks they're not that sophisticated.

Are you and I targeted by the smaller percentage of those who REALLY know what they're doing? Probably not. They're after big cash, gold, jewels. Rewards worthy of their craft. Best bet is protect against brute force. Have a safe that cant easily be defeated by brute force (saws, hammers, prybars....), positioned in your house thats hard to get to, cant be moved or tipped over and have layers of security. With that in mind a group 2 or 2m lock will suffice. Also use a dial that can be locked. That'll slow'em down a bit too.

If you're really worried about your dial lock getting hacked? Go with a group 1 lock or go digital. Easy change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top