Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2020 12:28:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steviesterno16]
I keep filing for a Form 1 to cut a stevens down to like 8" because I've always liked how they look. Silencer shop fucked up my submission and then didn't send the prints they promised to twice now, so I'm getting frustrated. I'm debating giving up on the project since I already have a 12" 870 SBS. I could throw the $200 stamp money on the stock without worry.

I'm curios if anyone has a folding stock on something like that. I currently have the magpul stock on it, but my thought is the folding stock would make the whole thing like a foot shorter to store and transport. It's not a gun I'll fire a lot so not worried if it's overly uncomfortable to shoot. Thinking it might be a cool set up for hotel travels and stocked with slugs for camping.

Also I feel like it would look like a serbu without actually buying one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The steel remmington stock that folds over is not user friendly.  The high recoil of a shotgun with pistol grip will come back in your face and knock out a tooth, (ask how I know.) Here in lies the problem with the entire shotgun for self defense concept: unless its semi auto you will only  get the first guy through the door you cant reload a pump fast enough to take down multiple armed burglars all entering rapidly, but a semi auto shotgun is a different story.  Most practical use for a short shotgun is snakes but its easier to carry a pistol with snake shot shells.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uzimon] [#2]
I had an 870 supermag sbs cut at the end of the mag tube and one of those wire top folders i think it was called a copstock.  It was fine hip shooting but with it extended it was brutal on the shoulder.
Very compact though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
The steel remmington stock that folds over is not user friendly.  The high recoil of a shotgun with pistol grip will come back in your face and knock out a tooth, (ask how I know.) Here in lies the problem with the entire shotgun for self defense concept: unless its semi auto you will only  get the first guy through the door you cant reload a pump fast enough to take down multiple armed burglars all entering rapidly, but a semi auto shotgun is a different story.  Most practical use for a short shotgun is snakes but its easier to carry a pistol with snake shot shells.
View Quote

Thanks but not looking to use a 4 shot shotgun to take down multiple burglars stacked at my door. Not living that kind of lifestyle where that's much of a worry. Just looking for setting something I already own up a bit better. Upsized from my EDC (1911 or 365xl) and more punch than a Glock PDW build.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:49:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTTOSEAR] [#4]
OP I have a Knox recoil absorbing top folder.
I never use it.
I will sell it to you on the cheap.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By OTTOSEAR:
OP I have a Knox recoil absorbing top folder.
I never use it.
I will sell it to you on the cheap.
View Quote

@OTTOSEAR PM sent
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:53:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Quake_Guy] [#6]
got an LE remington folder on a 10.5" barreled 870...   got a serbu style folding pistol grip on it as a fore end.  Key is to push forward with the grip and the recoil isn't that bad.  I do have a 1/4" thick rubber pad that fits nicely on buttplate so that helps a little.  Was a thing ages ago that was offered for sale.

what was the question again?
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
OP I am not sure if this is what you are looking for from a config perspective.

This is my personal 870 SBS with both the Remington factory LE folder and Fixed stock config.

Obviously the fixed stock is more comfortable to shoot, but the top folder makes a decidedly compact package.

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jbntex:
OP I am not sure if this is what you are looking for from a config perspective.

This is my personal 870 SBS with both the Remington factory LE folder and Fixed stock config.

Obviously the fixed stock is more comfortable to shoot, but the top folder makes a decidedly compact package.

https://i.imgur.com/KHG2lH4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bEKOiVE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/v1QKWG3.jpg
View Quote

@jbntex yeah that's what I was talking about. I have my 870 cut to about where you do, so yours looks like what mine would. Some of the folders I've looked at have been silly expensive or don't work with my side saddle. Your set up looks perfect for throwing in a backpack and traveling, which is what I'm looking for
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 1:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbntex] [#9]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@jbntex yeah that's what I was talking about. I have my 870 cut to about where you do, so yours looks like what mine would. Some of the folders I've looked at have been silly expensive or don't work with my side saddle. Your set up looks perfect for throwing in a backpack and traveling, which is what I'm looking for
View Quote

Glad I could be of help/inspiration for your build.

Good luck with whatever route you decide.

One of these days I need to get a picture of it with the SICO Salvo attached.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
View Quote

My first round up is a slug... any luck I catch 3 guys lined up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:
got an LE remington folder on a 10.5" barreled 870...   got a serbu style folding pistol grip on it as a fore end.  Key is to push forward with the grip and the recoil isn't that bad.  I do have a 1/4" thick rubber pad that fits nicely on buttplate so that helps a little.  Was a thing ages ago that was offered for sale.

what was the question again?
View Quote

@Quake_Guy where do you get a serbu style forend?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an 870 12" (cut close to the original mag tube length) with a Remington top folder.

With Low-Recoil Buckshot and Fioocchi slugs I easily could shoot it all day and not have any pain or lose a tooth.

Using 3" magnum loads - you will likely not enjoy it and put it down after one magazine -

Using the magnum loads you do however get the impression  that whatever receives it will not get back up.

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:46:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTTOSEAR] [#13]
I have an 870 SBS with a Choate side folder.
It is also collapsible.

It is built for stout.
And it locks up harder, than a wedding prick.

Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Shortbuss:

@Quake_Guy where do you get a serbu style forend?
View Quote

It was direct from either Serbu or Safety Harbor, I cannot remember which but it was a catalogued item on their site.   Long gone now.  You can ask if they have any interest in making one but they seem like they left the SBS business once Mossberg started selling SBS.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Remington had made a neat looking folder not long before they went belly up. Midwest lists them but are currently out of stock.

Folder
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top