Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 6/20/2018 8:42:33 PM EDT
have a m16, installed an SLR adjustable gas block on an upper i used for suppressed exclusively....i adjusted it and havent touched it for say 1,000+ rounds now...i decided it would be nice to turn the gas up a bit and shoot it unsuppressed....well its locked up..it wont adjust

is the solution to throw the gas block out? do i have to remove it and soak it to get it working again?  is the idea of adjusting it back and forth realistic?

when i shoot it w/o a suppressor it ''almost'' wants to run..its slow and does 1/2 full auto, 1/2 singles....ive got a t2 buffer and a heavy spring...im considering trying a normal spring and buffer..

is running it too slow an issue for a m16?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Your Gas Block is Carbon Locked....this happens when the hot carbon fouling rolls back through the block which acts as a collection point. I would say after 1k rounds it’s at a pint of no return, however, you could try some Breakthrough Clean (let it soak) and give it a go. It will happen again tho. Ideally, you want to use an adjustable gas “key” integrated into your BCG. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
when i shoot it its 200-300 rounds a session...i guess id have to clean it up after every shooting session to keep it operating......guess adjustable= 1 time adjustable...set it and leave it
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
when i shoot it its 200-300 rounds a session...i guess id have to clean it up after every shooting session to keep it operating......guess adjustable= 1 time adjustable...set it and leave it
View Quote
IIRC they suggest running the screw open and closed every so often, since it’s click adjustable it’s easy to return it to the correct setting.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a SLR titanium adjustable gas block on my M16 and it locks up after about 500-1000 rounds. Luckily i use it just to tune my gas system and don't go from suppressed to unsuppressed ever so it's not a big deal.  Just take it off and soak over night in bore cleaner, it has worked for me in the past. FWIW when I do take the suppressor off it tends to short cycle do to the lack of gas. I have it on the lowest setting and am running a light weight V7 titanium BCG and H1 buffer with flat wire spring. I've found swapping to a carbine buffer when shooting unsuppressed seems to resolve the issue and is less hassle than trying to adjust the set screw. IMO it really is more of a set it and forget it gas block, not the robust kind you see on the end of piston guns where you can turn a big dial to different settings.

FWIW my AR10 has the same gas block and never has issues but it sees WAY less volume of fire and doesn't get as hot. So their gas block might be suitable for light semi auto use but was not design for dedicated full auto use.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top