Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2018 2:47:24 PM EDT
Does an MLOK rail, mounted to an MLOK slot, hold zero? I want to mount an IR laser on the 9 or 6 o clock rail, but it's a Geissele MK8 so my only option is an MLOK panel if I choose to go this route. Does your typical (Magpul brand) MLOK rail and screw/t-nuts hold zero well enough to feasibly mount an aiming laser?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes

I have an ALG rail with MLOK slots and magpul mlok rail section with OTAL-IR on rifle and a geissele rail with mlok slots and magpul mlok rail section with ATIPAL.

Both hold zero well. The other night I was using them hard and my day optic mount came loose but all lasers were solid.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
My view on this is exactly the reason why I am one of those weirdos that has stuck with Keymod wherever possible.  I own both systems and just can't quite convince myself that M-lok is as resistant to subtle movement.  I might be overthinking this but Keymod is solid and I am sticking with it wherever possible for now.  For things that do not require retention of a zero such as a bipod or flashlight, I would have no problem with it.  My IR lasers have always stayed zeroed when attached to Keymod rails.  YMMV and I'm looking forward to others' input here.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Provided you're using correctly machined/manufactured quality parts, you should have no problems.

I'm not so sure I'd trust cheaply manufactured stuff with unknown tolerances/materials to hold zero, though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Great resource.

"With variations measured in MOA, KeyMod exhibited a spread from 0.2 to 14.6 while M-LOK varied from 0.0 To 6.6 POA shift."

"KeyMod did a much better job of self-aligning the accessory during mounting while M-LOK required more attention. The takeaway here is to pay attention while attaching accessories to the rail and to check zero after mounting."
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]
First I had seen that, very interesting and basically the opposite of what I would have expected.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
and as long as you use an aluminum mlok rail, not a polymer should help its sturdiness
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Great resource.

"With variations measured in MOA, KeyMod exhibited a spread from 0.2 to 14.6 while M-LOK varied from 0.0 To 6.6 POA shift."

"KeyMod did a much better job of self-aligning the accessory during mounting while M-LOK required more attention. The takeaway here is to pay attention while attaching accessories to the rail and to check zero after mounting."
View Quote
MLOK is a little trickier during initial setup but is really nice once dialed in. Note the extreme shift for MLOK when installed incorrectly.

I’ve grown to like MLOK.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My view on this is exactly the reason why I am one of those weirdos that has stuck with Keymod wherever possible.  I own both systems and just can't quite convince myself that M-lok is as resistant to subtle movement.  I might be overthinking this but Keymod is solid and I am sticking with it wherever possible for now.  For things that do not require retention of a zero such as a bipod or flashlight, I would have no problem with it.  My IR lasers have always stayed zeroed when attached to Keymod rails.  YMMV and I'm looking forward to others' input here.
View Quote
I’m not trying to be that guy, your experience is yours and that’s ok. But testing says otherwise.  Edit: there it is, someone posted it.  I still wouldn’t run out and switch my keymod if I already had it.

Don’t get me wrong, they both will do the job but mlok holds on longer. Both get owned by picatinny but no shock there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’m not trying to be that guy, your experience is yours and that’s ok. But testing says otherwise.  Edit: there it is, someone posted it.  I still wouldn’t run out and switch my keymod if I already had it.

Don’t get me wrong, they both will do the job but mlok holds on longer. Both get owned by picatinny but no shock there.
View Quote
Yes, and I acknowledged that testing a couple posts above this one.  I'm not one to turn a blind eye toward scientific testing, even if it flies in the face of what I have found individually.  If it is good strong and repeatable enough for SOCOM, I can't imagine it not being good enough for me  Again, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if this would repeatedly return to zero?

https://kineticdg.com/product/kinectmlok-3-slot-single-mlok-picatinny-section/
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, and I acknowledged that testing a couple posts above this one.  I'm not one to turn a blind eye toward scientific testing, even if it flies in the face of what I have found individually.  If it is good strong and repeatable enough for SOCOM, I can't imagine it not being good enough for me  Again, YMMV.
View Quote
Sorry, I posted my response before I finished the thread. Anyway, yeah, I’d say good to go!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like this and will probably try it.
But it’s my opinion that

A) Mloc/Keymod panels weren’t designed to be repeatable.
B) No system is gonna be repeatable without at least 3 points of contact.
(Looks like two points for both KM/ML)
C) Why is everyone trying to mount lasers in these? I wouldn’t mount a scope to one. I’m lost why everyone has to remove their lasers and even have them on a rail panel to begin with.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I like this and will probably try it.
But it's my opinion that

A) Mloc/Keymod panels weren't designed to be repeatable.
B) No system is gonna be repeatable without at least 3 points of contact.
(Looks like two points for both KM/ML)
C) Why is everyone trying to mount lasers in these? I wouldn't mount a scope to one. I'm lost why everyone has to remove their lasers and even have them on a rail panel to begin with.
View Quote
For me, it's a matter of space available to mount my laser. My laser is inline, not offset, so on this particular rifle the best place for the laser would be the 6 or 9 o clock mlok slot. It's definitely not something I would remove, so I was more curious about long term stability than repeatability.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:34:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well Keymod stuff falling off is a pretty un-subtle movement.       I don't know what it is, but I simply had too many issues.

I'm all 1913 and Mlok now.    But all of my lasers are on top rails anyways.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was fine with keymod until I had a rifle that was leaning against a wall fall on it’s side... the keymod slots ripped out and got destroyed, but the plastic BCM grip that was installed was just fine. No more keymod for me.

I guess that’s not really what is being discussed here, but I’m still out haha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top