User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2018 7:43:26 PM EDT
This just out..  Youtube firearms policy

See what they do..

To all:

Remember this is not GD.

Last warning to stay on topic, this is the Reloading Forum.

So your post should be about reloading/utube.

It's off topic to post your utube account status.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a damn broad definition of what they're going to ban.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that blows!
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I'll go download a few before they get pulled.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to Full30
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to Full30
View Quote
We don't need a firearm only equivalent, we need a firearm friendly equivalent. It's the only way the masses can choose to quit supporting the anti gunners.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
What is a good download app please?
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We don't need a firearm only equivalent, we need a firearm friendly equivalent. It's the only way the masses can choose to quit supporting the anti gunners.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to Full30
And arfcom should support embedding those videos and their prevalence should be encouraged...
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
YTD is annoying, and will do single videos only unless you pay.

4kvideodownloader will do the first 25 of a playlist if you don't pay, full playlists if you pay.  I ponied up for a license, you can click on a channel, then "videos", then "play all", copy/paste the link, and 4kvideodownloader will grab all of their videos for you.

I've definitely got a full night's downloads queued up on mine.

Since we may not get time to discover them on our own, let's link to some save-worthy channels!

Also should be noted that finishing 80% receivers would certainly fall under this, as would any self-made suppressors.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
And this begins when?
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And this begins when?
View Quote
If/when they get flagged.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
How do they know what’s on the videos without watching them completely?

You can call it something innocuous like “My Cute Cat Video #21” and disable comments, don’t include any accurate descriptive text. You could even set the videos privacy to “unlisted” meaning only people with the link can see it.

The same crap is going on with gun magazines ( the kind you read ) being banned from Kroger’s and other retailers. They want to discourage gun culture and make it seem anti-social, “only sickos like guns”.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can call it something innocuous like “My Cute Cat Video #21” and disable comments, don’t include any accurate descriptive text. You could even set the videos privacy to “unlisted” meaning only people with the link can see it.

The same crap is going on with gun magazines ( the kind you read ) being banned from Kroger’s and other retailers. They want to discourage gun culture and make it seem anti-social, “only sickos like guns”.
View Quote
Because they do watch them.  They have armies of foreign labor that do this.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
How are the people you want to watch the video going to find it? Can't search it, because there's no description and tags would give it away. Can't put out the link so that it's indexed on Google, because that would give it away.

Kind of defeats the purpose of creating a kick-ass video that teaches new guys to reload.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  I wonder how much of that is automated by now, there’s 500 hours of video uploaded YouTube every minute.  They would need a lot of employees to do this work manually.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How are the people you want to watch the video going to find it? Can't search it, because there's no description and tags would give it away. Can't put out the link so that it's indexed on Google, because that would give it away.

Kind of defeats the purpose of creating a kick-ass video that teaches new guys to reload.
View Quote
Exactly, you would have to send the link to 1000 of your closest cat video fans.

I have some unlisted shooting videos on YouTube and they have a very small number of views.

They want to drive the gun culture underground and make it socially unacceptable to own guns.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I wonder how much of that is automated by now, there’s 500 hours of video uploaded YouTube every minute.  They would need a lot of employees to do this work manually.
View Quote
Videos of grandma and her grandchildren with 3 subscribers will fly under the radar.  But anything with any significant views will be scanned.  They don't have to listen to all the words, watch only one video one at a time, at normal playback speed, or even all of it.

I think they should ban all gun videos too!  And anything that could be used as an explosive.  Even power tools that could be used in a dangerous way.  Stunts - ban those too.  The faster they burn their own house down, the faster we will get a better alternative.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#18]
What we think they should do and what they are actually going to do is two entirely different things, Youtube, Google, Ebay, Paypal are all liberal communist supporters and they have more money than God, remember in this country money = Power and they got the power, we just need to build our own systems and get over it, because they don't give a shit folks and that is the way it is.

Sitting around here bitching about it, is not going to change anything, there are several of us working on new solutions to this, that is called innovation and it is what the internet has been all about since day one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Good thing I have reloading BOOKS
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Since Google owns YouTube, did you expect anything less as some point from a California based company?
View Quote
Also, these huge media companies (Google, CNN, etc) are international in scope. They are getting the carrot and stick by governments all over to remove anything those governments say “or else”, meaning they’ll get big time bans or fines.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#21]
The text copied from the web site -

Policies on content featuring firearms

YouTube prohibits certain kinds of content featuring firearms. Specifically, we don’t allow content that:

•  Intends to sell firearms or certain firearms accessories through direct sales (e.g., private sales by individuals) or links to sites that sell these items. These accessories include but may not be limited to accessories that enable a firearm to simulate automatic fire or convert a firearm to automatic fire (e.g., bump stocks, gatling triggers, drop-in auto sears, conversion kits), and high capacity magazines (i.e., magazines or belts carrying more than 30 rounds).

•  Provides instructions on manufacturing a firearm, ammunition, high capacity magazine, homemade silencers/suppressors, or certain firearms accessories such as those listed above. This also includes instructions on how to convert a firearm to automatic or simulated automatic firing capabilities.

•  Shows users how to install the above-mentioned accessories or modifications.

Report content that violates this policy

You can report videos that you believe violate this policy by flagging the video.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Gee, it looks like all of their MOVIE TRAILERS are still up and well monetized:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynv-n5Tzdt4
In this video, you see  Benicio del Toro increasing the rate of fire on a pistol... we ought to all report it...
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I've never been crazy about reloading videos on youtube. Someone has a reloading setup and a video camera and suddenly they're a self-appointed expert making instructional videos.

I think if one wants to learn how to reload, they should acquire a few reloading manuals and READ.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've never been crazy about reloading videos on youtube. Someone has a reloading setup and a video camera and suddenly they're a self-appointed expert making instructional videos.

I think if one wants to learn how to reload, they should acquire a few reloading manuals and READ.
View Quote
I'm all for reasonable opinions on most any issue, but I really disagree with your assessment about videos and their value as it pertains to many reloading functions and procedures.

Sure there are "some" pompous jackwagons who think they're instructional authorities while their videos show nothing more than taking an item out of a box and reading the advertising material.

However, there are many, many excellent videos that provide substantive, valuable instruction with verbal direction and visual examples that are often more valuable than just the written word.

Another issue is that all people don't learn and retain info in the same manner.  And BTW...most manuals have drawings and/or pictures to some degree because they know the value of visual instruction.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I rarely watch any except for a few that have equipment or equipment modification/gadget reviews
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
You are correct, but sometimes a video, is worth a million words.

There are some creators that are very good, you just have to be careful who you watch. Just like in here, you get to know people, and figure who really knows their stuff.

I just spent the 15 dollars and got the 4K downloader. Got all of Rex's Sniper 101 loaded to my cloud, some really good shooting and reloading videos in there.

Now off to get some other stuff downloaded. I'll have to look into burning it to a CD for permanent safekeeping.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I guess my issue with learning from youtube videos is a new handloader has NO idea whose videos are valuable and whose are junk. Generations have been learning handloading for over a century by reading, and that method still works.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I wonder if a lot of these videos can be moved to liveleak?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I would never have attempted reloading if it weren’t for y tube

Sucks for anyone interested in this hobby who would rather see something done first but don’t have a mentor

*I know there’s other visual media out there besides y tube but the ease of y tube was certainly a factor that played into it
Now, I never refer to a y tube video only published data. But starting out to see how the process was done, sure
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#31]
nm.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#32]
If they do start knocking off legit firearm & reloading channels.. I say we all start flagging every stupid video (say a video on how to bedazzle your underwear) saying it has firearm content or advertises firearm content.. FLOOD them with work reviewing videos..
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Almost like someone trying to censor the internet.

I dont go there much for reloading information, but sometimes the mods people make for their equipment is pretty cool.  Also its been helpful a few times for researching a press or reloading tool before making the purchase.  I was just checking out the tri-way trimmer on the grinder motor yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't understand how I missed that "ammunition manufacturing" is included earlier. What I do see is YT coming out and saying that they can do anything they want, which is a given. This is merely the first wave, more will follow, and more after that. We need alternatives, and we need them quickly. Then we quit patronizing the bastards, no more YT, no more Google, no more Facebook, you get the idea. Everybody got way to comfortable sleeping with the enemy and thinking it would never affect them. Myself included. That has changed, move on. Let their advertising revenues fall, let their readership drop.

I don't mind that much, there are some really crappy reloading videos on YT, and there are plenty of firearms and reloading websites. You're currently on one of the largest.

ETA, It's time for new glasses for this boy!
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I just checked out Full30.com and it seems pretty decent.

Not much for reloading videos, but I think that is going to change very quickly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Come on guys....there's a little too much drama over something that hasn't even happened yet. Believe it or not, there was life at the reloading bench before youtube, and life shall continue after they're gone.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes every person getting into reloading should read a reputable book or two, but there is a great deal that can be learned from videos of other people’s experiences. It is no different than asking a question here. There are centuries of combined reloading experience here. It is no different than videos, take it with a grain of salt and only trust published load data.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I guess my issue with learning from youtube videos is a new handloader has NO idea whose videos are valuable and whose are junk. Generations have been learning handloading for over a century by reading, and that method still works.
View Quote
It’s true you have no idea who is good or bad at first. You watch a lot of them and take the general consensus.

About generations learning etc. etc.  At work there has always been the answer to “Why don’t we do it this way?” Being “That’s the way it has always been done and will always be done” That idea is the idea of ignorant closed minded people. It doesn’t make it right. At $20-$40 a book, and free videos, it doesn’t make sense to me to buy a library. I have some reloading books. Everyone should. Published load data is all I actually trust. Western, Hodgdon, and some bullet manufacturers have data online that I trust, but a good book is a safe bet.

I can learn a lot more watching videos for an hour than I can reading a reloading book for an hour. Most reloading books I have read are just an intro for new reloaders and load data. If yyare wanting to get into making your own cast coated bullets videos are better than books. If you are looking to get the most consistent ammo you can load, videos are more effective. If you want to buy something new, there are great videos out there on it. Books are great, but will only get you so far. There are books on just about everything. They are no different than the videos though. You don’t know which ones are worth the read or the money.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Johnny's Reloading bench is still up.  Quality reloading videos there.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It’s true you have no idea who is good or bad at first. You watch a lot of them and take the general consensus.

About generations learning etc. etc.  At work there has always been the answer to “Why don’t we do it this way?” Being “That’s the way it has always been done and will always be done” That idea is the idea of ignorant closed minded people. It doesn’t make it right. At $20-$40 a book, and free videos, it doesn’t make sense to me to buy a library. I have some reloading books. Everyone should. Published load data is all I actually trust. Western, Hodgdon, and some bullet manufacturers have data online that I trust, but a good book is a safe bet.

I can learn a lot more watching videos for an hour than I can reading a reloading book for an hour. Most reloading books I have read are just an intro for new reloaders and load data. If yyare wanting to get into making your own cast coated bullets videos are better than books. If you are looking to get the most consistent ammo you can load, videos are more effective. If you want to buy something new, there are great videos out there on it. Books are great, but will only get you so far. There are books on just about everything. They are no different than the videos though. You don’t know which ones are worth the read or the money.
View Quote
Sorry dude, but poor reading comprehension doesn't mean videos are better than books, and it has NOTHING to do with "We've always done it this way.". If a person can't sit down and focus on printed text for an hour or two, it's not the fault of the book. Do you get your loading data from videos or do you read it??

I don't know what reloading "books" (manuals?) you have in your library but the manuals I have, even those that were published in the '70's have sections dedicated to topics such benchrest loading techniques. Manuals such as Lyman's 49th and 50th go deep into specific areas such as bullet casting, powder burn rates and characteristics, advance case preparation, ballistic coefficients, bullet selection for hunting, etc. etc.

I guess it's baffling to me that a handloader would trust information from some random person who made their own video over which is in a printed manual, but to each his or her own...
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#41]
I think some are missing the point.

Watching a video by an individual on How to Reload is not the kind of video I'd be attracted to.  The Reloading Manuals are the best for that, it's a matter of trust, and known expertise.

However there are some reasons to watch a video on reloading subjects:

1. Reviews of new equipment are often improved with a video to better help people judge whether they want or don't want.
2. Videos illustrating modifications to fix or improve tools can be watched to judged whether they are worthwhile to you.
3. You might even create a video to show others a problem you are having with a tool.  The video might help someone help you.

I'm sure there are more reasons......but I do agree that watching some guy you never heard of on YouTube load a box of rifle cartridges in 30 seconds using his blue wonder progressive is not the kind of instruction that replaces Dillon's manuals or your common sense.  You have no idea he loaded them properly (properly sized cases, safe charges in every case, properly seated primers and bullets) or not.  On the other hand, making people think they have to load like demons, is a good way to cause someone to get hurt loading or shooting such hurried loads.

I'm including a link to a YouTube video I made ... just for an example of #2 above.....just so you see what I mean.  Its just a case kicker and spent primer control on a Rock Chucker 2.  The only point is a video along with a picture how-to can be useful.....and you can't get such ideas from a manual.......and no, I'm not the whiz kid that invented case kickers.....its one of many designs.

https://youtu.be/h8tIZ-xVOT4

I just used that modified press to deprime a 1000 .40 S&W cases just before I wet tumbled them.  I was really glad for the speedier operation. Prepping for loading is the slooow part.

Now then, if YouTube bans all reloading videos this one will soon be history......so I'm wondering about Vimeo......any one know anything about them.....they don't seem to care about the ultra liberal Google's gun ban......and they are American.

So.....I went to Vimeo and opened their basic free account....then uploaded the same video.  Compare YouTube Above to Vimeo Below:

https://vimeo.com/261339382 ...........they never insert ads which is a big plus.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 2:55:45 AM EDT
[#42]
YouTube is a was great resource for ANYTHING you wanna do. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Once again they left it very broad, and ambiguous. There are several large channels that are still bringing in Money for them.

It could be a major hit to the Reloading community, or not. Notice that they specifically say "Ammunition Manufacturing." I do not think that Johnny's reloading bench, or FortuneCookie45LC are on the ropes, rather Dillon, Mark 7 that are on the chopping block. Hell, AR.15';s channel is a goner as well.

Anyway you wanna look at it, it is a great loss of a resource for us reloaders.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been downloading the YT reloading videos and i just went over 120GB of downloads so far. I still have a plenty of space left (2TB), so I will keep downloading, but I am running out of ideas which channel/playlist is good or not.
Any recommendation or want to share your favorite reloading channel or list?
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hooktube
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sorry dude, but poor reading comprehension doesn't mean videos are better than books, and it has NOTHING to do with "We've always done it this way.". If a person can't sit down and focus on printed text for an hour or two, it's not the fault of the book. Do you get your loading data from videos or do you read it??

I don't know what reloading "books" (manuals?) you have in your library but the manuals I have, even those that were published in the '70's have sections dedicated to topics such benchrest loading techniques. Manuals such as Lyman's 49th and 50th go deep into specific areas such as bullet casting, powder burn rates and characteristics, advance case preparation, ballistic coefficients, bullet selection for hunting, etc. etc.

I guess it's baffling to me that a handloader would trust information from some random person who made their own video over which is in a printed manual, but to each his or her own...
View Quote
If you read any of my posts, I always said that I only trust published load data. Either from a book or from the powder or bullet manufacturers website.

My reloading books are mostly just load data. They have the basics on stuff. They do not talk about how to wet tumble with a fart. They don’t go through and say which combinations of powder and projectiles work well for a 9” sbr. They do not go into any that has been introduced since they have been published.  Books don’t compare the different manufacturers dies, case prep tools, or reloading presses. The books give you the basics and a little more. There are more in depth books than my hornady 9th.  It is a great resource, but proof that you need more than one source of info. The 300 blackout data is wrong in it.

Poor reading comprehension?  First of, what are you 12 that you have to insinuate that I’m stupid.  
You can’t read what’s not written in the book. I’m not against books at all. I’m just saying that you can find the answer to your questions faster online. Books are a necessity, I bought my first reloading book before I even got a press or dies.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Since Google owns YouTube, did you expect anything less as some point from a California based company?

Hell, do a search on google on something none PC with google, and half of the bottom page is the search exclusions that they will not link to give sites instead.

No worries, and with them drawing a line in the sand for something still legal not being able to be posted on youtube, will just opens the door for another company to become a competing video host site isntead.

Just don't use Google to try to look for it, since it not going to show up on their search pages as well  (which will open the flood gates for another search engine site to compete with Google as well).
View Quote
Google is a vile nest of scum and villainy.  Read this:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/01/10/19-insane-tidbits-james-damores-lawsuit-googles-office-environment/
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Reloading videos are certainly useful to our gun culture (even if some of us older men don't use them).

So how do we preserve access?

One idea that's been floated is Arfcom hosting gun videos.

Can any of you younger (ie - computer savvy) guys say whether that's feasible these days?  I do know that computer memory is dropping in price all the time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Its not the memory.. Its storage... and yes its dropping but still a cost to it...

The problem is copyrighted  you would have to figure out who's the copyright and will they allow you to move it from one place to another...

This can be a legal nightmare... thank you Hollywood..
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Its not the memory.. Its storage... and yes its dropping but still a cost to it...

The problem is copyrighted  you would have to figure out who's the copyright and will they allow you to move it from one place to another...

This can be a legal nightmare... thank you Hollywood..
View Quote
Actually, it's multiple issues.  A site like YouTube has huge data stores, and even more bandwidth.  The server racks implemented to host all of it, and not bog down are also an arm and leg.  Now, how much of that is useless entertainment versus actual gun stuff that we would be interested in is another ball of wax.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top