Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2021 5:46:54 PM EDT
I have two Xeno mounts and tried to attach them to my Nomad 30. They will only screw in one revolution before getting too tight to turn. My Keymo mounts all attach fine, but both Xeno mounts will only screw on one revolution without a spanner wrench. Anybody else run into this? Known issue? All good and just a very tight fit?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump

I took my keymo and ebrake to see my can in jail.  Made sure it all fit, it did.   Saw a couple threads where mounts wouldn’t go or threads were crooked.  Had me nervous.  Best of luck op.  I’m sure someone will be along to help.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
How new is your nomad? There was two threads on here recently where the threads on the back of the nomad were machined to tight. The fix was to send it back and they would do a quick recut on them. Wonder if this is the same issue.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The Nomad is from 10/2020 but the Keymo goes on fine with only the need to use my hand to tighten. I got the Xeno on the Nomad but had to use a spanner wrench to screw it on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump

I took my keymo and ebrake to see my can in jail.  Made sure it all fit, it did.   Saw a couple threads where mounts wouldn’t go or threads were crooked.  Had me nervous.  Best of luck op.  I’m sure someone will be along to help.
View Quote

Keymo and ebrake both thread onto the Nomad fine.

One of my Xenos was bought when they were released and the second was bought a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Nomad is from 10/2020 but the Keymo goes on fine with only the need to use my hand to tighten. I got the Xeno on the Nomad but had to use a spanner wrench to screw it on.
View Quote

In the future never force something that should thread easily
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I just tried my new xeno mount on my resonator and it threaded in but got tight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In the future never force something that should thread easily
View Quote

I knew better and thankfully there was no cross-threading and the shoulder screws flat to the suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I ran into the same thing last week with two Xenos and a Nomad. I figured it was a problem with the Xeno adaptors because the direct thread adaptor screwed in and out no problem. I contacted Dead Air and they said they were concerned that it might be the threads on the Nomad. They sent me a shipping label and right now it's on it's way to Utah.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I ran into the same thing last week with two Xenos and a Nomad. I figured it was a problem with the Xeno adaptors because the direct thread adaptor screwed in and out no problem. I contacted Dead Air and they said they were concerned that it might be the threads on the Nomad. They sent me a shipping label and right now it's on it's way to Utah.
View Quote

Hopefully it’s not going to Utah. should be going to Georgia
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You just gave me a panic attack. The label said Kamas, UT, same as the contact info on their website.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You just gave me a panic attack. The label said Kamas, UT, same as the contact info on their website.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All warranty work on suppressors goes to GA. Utah is just customer service.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess that will slow the turnaround then, damn.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think it is the Nomad. I think it is the Xeno mounts. All of my other mounts fit the Nomad fine, it is just the two Xeno mounts that are extremely tight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't think it is the Nomad. I think it is the Xeno mounts. All of my other mounts fit the Nomad fine, it is just the two Xeno mounts that are extremely tight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya in your case it sure sounds like it. Ether way. DA are great people and they will take care of you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#16]
DA seems to be have to take care of a lot of people recently.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s good that they are responsive and stand behind their products, but there seem to be a lot of threads here of problems with DA stuff, usually every time something new comes out.  Good people or not, I’d prefer a company that didn’t need to have brand new things sent back for repair.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I will add a little more data on mine. I measured the thread OD of the direct thread adaptor and the Xeno. The Xeno was .0045 larger. But even with that info they thought it might be the Nomad. I'm assuming that mine isn't the first issue they've seen and that they know what's going on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#18]
My xeno adapter was tight, but not too tight to install with tools. I chalked it up to differences in material and thread tolerances.

OP, keep us updated please.

Edit for correctness.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The xeno adapters are titanium. The regular Nomad 30 is not. That could be part of the issue.

My titanium direct thread adapter was loose in my Nomad L. My xeno adapter was tight, but not too tight to install with tools. I chalked it up to differences in material and thread tolerances.

OP, keep us updated please.
View Quote

My Xeno adapter isn't titanium, too heavy to be titanium.

Just looked it up on DA's site, it is 4140 steel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some things still go to Utah.  Pappas himself will look at this when it happens.  He'll typically get it returned the same day it arrives and he prides himself on that.

On the Xeno front, we've had some here and there show up with nitride that has built up down in the root of the threads.  This is from coating companies rushing parts through across the whole industry.  If you have something you've purchased from almost any company that is nitrided in volume, you'll probably be able to find something like this.  It's low enough level, that when we batch inspect, we're not finding it.  If there's one out of hundred, or even a thousand, then we'll see it come back and it can be easily replaced.

Quoted:
DA seems to be have to take care of a lot of people recently.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s good that they are responsive and stand behind their products, but there seem to be a lot of threads here of problems with DA stuff, usually every time something new comes out.  Good people or not, I’d prefer a company that didn’t need to have brand new things sent back for repair.

Not really.  We're seeing a good improvement on CS issues.  What you've been seeing is people having easy access to internet forums that show an issue.  We're also shipping massive quantities in the is crazy market, so it's natural that more issues will rise to the surface because the probabilities for finding something just went up 10-fold.  Right now, we get about 1 or 2 thread issues like this a week--while we're shipping thousands of parts.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On the Xeno front, we've had some here and there show up with nitride that has built up down in the root of the threads.  This is from coating companies rushing parts through across the whole industry.  If you have something you've purchased from almost any company that is nitrided in volume, you'll probably be able to find something like this.  It's low enough level, that when we batch inspect, we're not finding it.  If there's one out of hundred, or even a thousand, then we'll see it come back and it can be easily replaced.
View Quote

This may be the case with my two Xeno adapters. I removed the Xeno adapter and there was some material on top of the blast baffle. I removed it and it seemed like flakes of paint in anti-seize, not metal shards. The adapter still goes on very tight, but not nearly as tight as the first time installing it. Just curious, but do you recommend using anti-seize on the adapter when installing in the can? My Vox-S does, but could not find any guidance on the DA cans.

If this Nomad can suppresses as well as it looks and feels, it is going to be incredible.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#22]
You shouldn’t see any appreciable dimensional growth from nitriding.  The process is used on cheap mass market barrels to commonly hold finished dimensions much tighter than thread allowances.  If the issue is warpage the parts need to be stress relieved adequately prior to the nitriding.

Tight threads can often be remediated by the end user on the male parts with emery cloth on thread crests and for non case hardened parts a thread file can sometimes add a little ease to the troughs.  Sort of an intermediate option between forcing the threads and warranty activity.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This may be the case with my two Xeno adapters. I removed the Xeno adapter and there was some material on top of the blast baffle. I removed it and it seemed like flakes of paint in anti-seize, not metal shards. The adapter still goes on very tight, but not nearly as tight as the first time installing it. Just curious, but do you recommend using anti-seize on the adapter when installing in the can? My Vox-S does, but could not find any guidance on the DA cans.

If this Nomad can suppresses as well as it looks and feels, it is going to be incredible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks!  Yep.  I definitely recommend anti-seize.  We've seen with some of the nitrided parts coming out lately that some of that oxide buildup or some nitride salts will get "cleaned out" when you first install it and it'll end up feeling OK after that.  We recommend that if a customer is experiencing this that they don't force it.  We're happy to install it for you if it's tight and that'll keep people from possible hurting some threads.

Quoted:
You shouldn’t see any appreciable dimensional growth from nitriding.  The process is used on cheap mass market barrels to commonly hold finished dimensions much tighter than thread allowances.  If the issue is warpage the parts need to be stress relieved adequately prior to the nitriding.

Tight threads can often be remediated by the end user on the male parts with emery cloth on thread crests and for non case hardened parts a thread file can sometimes add a little ease to the troughs.  Sort of an intermediate option between forcing the threads and warranty activity.

What you say is true under normal conditions.  Unfortunately, some nitriders are getting lazy and batch processing at high temps across all materials.  You get weird buildup in odd places and there are oftentimes nitride salts left in the threads that cause issues as well.  When we were working with BPI/Bergara, there was one nitrider that screwed up some of their barrels because the nitride was allowed to build up a couple thou' inside the barrel and they had to be scrapped.  It all depends on the process and if it's well controlled.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Some things still go to Utah.  Pappas himself will look at this when it happens.  He'll typically get it returned the same day it arrives and he prides himself on that.

Not really.  We're seeing a good improvement on CS issues.  What you've been seeing is people having easy access to internet forums that show an issue.  We're also shipping massive quantities in the is crazy market, so it's natural that more issues will rise to the surface because the probabilities for finding something just went up 10-fold.  Right now, we get about 1 or 2 thread issues like this a week--while we're shipping thousands of parts.  

Todd Magee
Dead Air
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Todd Magee
Dead Air

Thanks Todd for clearing that up! I had no idea the big man himself will look into stuff. That’s pretty cool!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My Xeno adapter isn't titanium, too heavy to be titanium.

Just looked it up on DA's site, it is 4140 steel.
View Quote

I was wrong. Sorry about that. I’ll edit my post.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:26:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All warranty work on suppressors goes to GA. Utah is just customer service.
View Quote

gotta send to the address on the Form 4.  My Dead Air Suppressors say KG Made in GA.  Seems DA is the design shop, but suppressors Form 4 says KG Made, Georgia.

I heard that the guy who sold suppressors for KAC is selling suppressors for KG Made.  Allen, Brad, Tony... forget his name.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#28]
My Nomad-L should be here in a month. Bought it in November. Hopefully it's not from that batch
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

They recently switching manufacturing from outsourced to in house I believe. It's just growing pains. Annoying yes but their customer service is top notch and they'll take care of it quickly
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I got a Fedex notice that my Nomad arrived in Kamas at 1PM yesterday.

At 2:15PM I got an email from Dead Air saying they did touch up the threads on Nomad, the Xeno adaptor was installed, and the email included a return tracking number!

I will say that Dead Air's customer service just exceeded my expectations I'd say a time machine would be required to do any better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Just put my Xeno adapter on my naked nomad, and it fits beautifully. I love this mounting system. LH threads are a money idea. Nice work @mageever
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just put my Xeno adapter on my naked nomad, and it fits beautifully. I love this mounting system. LH threads are a money idea. Nice work @mageever
View Quote

Honestly idk why this isn’t SOP across the industry for these types of mounts. If there was one thing I would change about the Plan A it would be LH threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top