Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2022 1:45:41 PM EDT
Bought an SAR when they came out. Got it set up as good as I could for me.  Always liked the gun. Was good at everything, great at nothing.

Wanted to try an X95 when they came out. Had never really been motivated to buy one due to cost and always having other wants.

So recently I came across an individual selling an unfired X95 at a price I couldn't pass up. I picked it up and for whatever reason I fell in love.

First business was to add a light. As an unexpected purchase, I wasn't prepared to spend Modlite or CD money on a light. Streamlight HLX is my go to for an inexpensive light. As a bonus their pressure pad fits perfectly in the pocket created by the 6 o'clock rail cover and the 3 o'clock pic rail. The HSP Thorntail is the best mount I've found for me. I also tried an Arisaka, Bobro 1913 adjustable offset mount, as well as direct mount to the 3 o'clock rail cover.

Next I decided I wanted a vfg, but the factory rail covers feel sooo good. Reminds me of Knights rail covers in which I've always been a fan. Got the idea of cutting a hole in the rail cover and sliding the vfg and rail cover on as one piece.

I found someone selling a set of rail covers that were fde. Bought them and got to cutting. Turned out great. I dyed them after i was done cutting. Can't imagine anything with a better feel. I'll put a few pictures of me doing that below.

I came across the AEMS Core which is about 25% cheaper than the original AEMS and loses most of the stuff I didn't care about anyway.

Lastly I was at a lgs and got to looking at magnifiers. I watched hours of videos on the Holosun HM3X. Reviews seemed positive, especially at the price point. Thought I'd give one a shot.

So this is how it ended up. May eventually upgrade the light, may not bother.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
interesting approach to the bottom rail/grip. Looks cool If you're happy it works for me.

I wanted one and ended up with an x95. nice and really cool, but just too different from an AR for me to put in the work and learn the system, so I sold it for something more AR like.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
interesting approach to the bottom rail/grip. Looks cool If you're happy it works for me.
View Quote
Yeah I gotta say that's well executed.  

OP stupid question.  How the heck does the mag release work on the X95?  Been trying to wrap my head around it and how the transfer bar connects to the magwell of the gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the SAR and just couldn't get into the X95. I did the MI handguard with built in light. I originally had the plastic handguard with the IWI VFG and light pressure pad built in. It worked well, but the VFG just didn't feel right for me. I like your cut out for the VFG in your rail cover. It's looks like a good setup.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
umm, isn't the flat buttplate making it too short and thus an SBR?  

Not trying to be a hall monitor, just an FYI, if that is a 16 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are correct
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#7]
The front end looks slick.  Nicely done.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wanted one and ended up with an x95. nice and really cool, but just too different from an AR for me to put in the work and learn the system, so I sold it for something more AR like.
View Quote

I get it. It's a learning curve for sure. Biggest difference for me is remembering to have my thumb behind the mag to to hit the bolt release when inserting versus having it on the side to hit the bolt release on an AR. Really hate the charging handle on an AR though. Most everything else I have the charging handle is on the side.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OP stupid question.  How the heck does the mag release work on the X95?  Been trying to wrap my head around it and how the transfer bar connects to the magwell of the gun.
View Quote

Lmao. You know, I've never really paid attention. I'll see if I can unlock that mystery tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have the SAR and just couldn't get into the X95. I did the MI handguard with built in light. I originally had the plastic handguard with the IWI VFG and light pressure pad built in. It worked well, but the VFG just didn't feel right for me. I like your cut out for the VFG in your rail cover. It's looks like a good setup.
View Quote

That's about the only way I care to add a light to the SAR. Honestly after getting used to it, I prefer the mag release on the SAR. I have a Shooting Sight trigger pack in it. I doubt I'll bother buying one for the X95. If I'd known about the spring removal trick on the SAR before I bought the Shooting Sight trigger pack, I doubt I would have bothered.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's pinned/welded. I've already filed a form 1 though. When I get it back I'm getting the barrel cut.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The front end looks slick.  Nicely done.
View Quote

Thank you. Pretty happy how it turned it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a nice setup. Good ingenuity.

I really like the X95 for an HD carbine.  My only complaint is the weight, but it has good balance and good controls, well placed rails, etc.  

I really love the short OAL, especially with a suppressor.  My 16" AR15 carbines feel like muskets now and my SBRs are too loud.  

Now that I have an X95 and AUG, my AR15s have been relegated to range toys.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's a nice setup. Good ingenuity.

I really like the X95 for an HD carbine.  My only complaint is the weight, but it has good balance and good controls, well placed rails, etc.  

I really love the short OAL, especially with a suppressor.  My 16" AR15 carbines feel like muskets now and my SBRs are too loud.  

Now that I have an X95 and AUG, my AR15s have been relegated to range toys.
View Quote

With the thin butt plate, and a titanium flash hider the X95 weighs 7.6lbs and that’s with the 18.5” bbl. With a T2 my X95 is just under 8lbs

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
It's amazing how much lighter it feels by just changing the buttpad. Mine is still the factory one, I just removed the rubber. Finding a factory thin one is almost impossible.

The difference in the two is almost half a pound.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's amazing how much lighter it feels by just changing the buttpad. Mine is still the factory one, I just removed the rubber. Finding a factory thin one is almost impossible.

View Quote

And a $200 tax stamp for 16” barrels
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
it changed the entire feel of the X95, make it feel much more agile.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dually noted. Are you just bored?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
it changed the entire feel of the X95, make it feel much more agile.
View Quote

Most definitely.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You are correct
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct

Not necessarily. Pin and weld is a thing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct

Paid less than $50 to get mine done. Same guy has probably done a dozen for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

With the thin butt plate, and a titanium flash hider the X95 weighs 7.6lbs and that's with the 18.5" bbl. With a T2 my X95 is just under 8lbs
View Quote
Nice rifle!

I probably need to get a lighter optic for mine. I have an Aimpoint CompM4 on a BoBro QD mount, so fully kitted out with a Turbo K suppressor, light, and sling, plus the weight of a loaded 30rd mag, that probably puts mine well over 10lbs ready to go.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice rifle!

I probably need to get a lighter optic for mine. I have an Aimpoint CompM4 on a BoBro QD mount, so fully kitted out with a Turbo K suppressor, light, and sling, plus the weight of a loaded 30rd mag, that probably puts mine well over 10lbs ready to go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the thin butt plate, and a titanium flash hider the X95 weighs 7.6lbs and that's with the 18.5" bbl. With a T2 my X95 is just under 8lbs
Nice rifle!

I’ve have a bad habit of adding stuff whether I need it or not. I wanted to see how light I could get this one. I had to fight the urge to get another Mepro RDS. Just because I think it looks right on the X95 but it’s 5oz heavier. ??
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have decided there is magic involved. I have no idea how it works.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#25]
@ K1rodeoboater

https://youtu.be/ZMjrI-55fYw
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top