Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2019 6:57:22 PM EDT
Well, If IWI wont bring it to the US, I'll make my own version.

" />
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Go on...
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go on...
View Quote
Its 3d printing at the makerspace, Will be picking it up later this week and have actual photos of the handguard. Wanted to do the version with the suppressor under the handguard, but cant with the US handguard that comes with the X95.

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m in. Can’t wait. What material will you be making the production handguards out of?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’m in. Can’t wait. What material will you be making the production handguards out of?
View Quote
Carbon fiber reinforced printed material. With a metal heat shield, however I'm only thinking it will work on the 9mm version not sure if it will handle the heat of 5.56 even with a heatshield.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess we will find out. ?? you also making the front close out disk when used as a 5.56?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess we will find out. ?? you also making the front close out disk when used as a 5.56?
View Quote
One part at a time
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Yes theres some issues, like needing reinforcement behind the scallop there, and making it finally fit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll have to keep an eye on this... it would be what makes me finally get a X95 9x19mm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Heres a render of its current state, its printing and i'm HOPING that I have the dimensions right for it to mount on the gun when Its done.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Looking good.   Following with interest...
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#11]
You may want to make that long curved section in to a second piece. I am assuming that will lock in to the receiver and receive some force.
If you keep printing it like you have your stress is going to be going the same direction as your layer lamination, and will not hold up very well.
If you split that section off and printed it on it's side you could get the stress running perpendicular the layers and it would hold up much better. However you would need to either mechanically lock it in or attach it with some form of hardware
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Ok so it fits, problem is, all of it doesnt fit, o have a gap i need to work out when the bottom lip piece is on. I cut it off to make sure everything else fits, and it does, i alsp found out that the round part is more of a cone than a cylinder, and have to fix that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks really good.  Nice work on the prototype.
3D printers are funny things.  I've had to adjust dimensions based on material shrinkage, especially ID sizes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
The other one sucked so i redid it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

25 hours later i will have a handguard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:43:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Still watching...
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Still watching...
View Quote
Well, this last render is the version i sent to the printer, so we will see what comes out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#18]
So, this has gone through quite a few revisions as you can see in the thread here, but i have gotten almost to the end, this is nearly the final version, and i’m kinda glad, now i was still having issues with the tab fitting, and it didnt fit on this one so in the pic where its on the gun if you look closely i had to cut the tab off, but i did a quick and dirty print last night with the tab moved and Got it in position, so a bit of shaping the bottom tonight and we should be in business.

This handguard is 100% more comfortable than the factory one. Its very ergonomic versus the square handguard and i dont even feel the need to use a VFG on it, but there is an Mlok slot if you want too.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Sweet, trying to figure out if I can still mount the full length factory sbr rail with it or just chop it and make the earlier idf “short rail”.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Any plans on bringing it to market?  I wouldn't know where to start to have it injection molded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top