Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2023 2:25:38 PM EDT
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith for the following services? D.wilson mfg told me he won't do the work. I would like someone to shorten/rethread an X95 barrel to 13" (measured from the barrel extension), machine in flats (as seen in the attached images from the barrel stub of a police kit; these are to retain a sling attachment point behind the flash hider), and open the gas port per specs below:

Barrel flats:
https://imgur.com/a/l9IWEvI

In the 5.56 version there are different gas port sizes for different barrel lenghts:
18inch barrel - 1.5mm
15inch barrel - 1.7mm
13inch barrel - 1.9mm
16.5inch barrel - not standard IDF barrel lenght, so I would not know.Propably arround 1.6mm.

In the Tavor system the gas port size in the barrel is the same for all barrel lengths.
It is the gas port size in the gas block/sight base that is different for each barrel lenght.
So after cutting a 16.5/18inch barrel to the 15inch (minimum) and threading it, you dont have to drill the barrel, but the gas block/sight base to 1.7mm.
Removing this part from a Tavor barrel is not like removing a gas block on a AR15.
It is pressure fitted to the barrel at factory, so removing and putting it back on the barrel is not an easy task.
But anything is possible for a good armourer/gunsmith.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
To be honest...it will run just fine with the current gas port ... its already over-gassed as is ...
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind about the overall length requirement of 26 inches
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a kit too, and I'm going to get a new rifle (factory SBR) to build it out.  The SBR barrels have the correct flats.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, I have yet to encounter someone who has successfully opened up an x95/SAR gas port. I don't know of anyone would would touch that.

As the other poster said - they are really over gassed as-is, it will probably be fine as long as you're going from a 16, an 18inch being cut that much, might be a little different
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all. Also wanted to get some clarity on the 13" overall length of the existing Tavor X95 SBR barrels. Is the 13" overall length measured from the end of the muzzle to the end of the chamber (where the bolt sits), or from end of the muzzle to the end of the barrel extension? Measured my existing barrel and noted that it appears to be 16.5" for the former vs. 17" for the latter.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks all. Also wanted to get some clarity on the 13" overall length of the existing Tavor X95 SBR barrels. Is the 13" overall length measured from the end of the muzzle to the end of the chamber (where the bolt sits), or from end of the muzzle to the end of the barrel extension? Measured my existing barrel and noted that it appears to be 16.5" for the former vs. 17" for the latter.
View Quote

Measured from the bare muzzle (no muzzle device) to the closed bolt face.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Mos-Tek did a T-7 in 350 raptor or legend. Trying to throw money at them. They didn’t enjoy building the gas system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top