Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2023 12:35:16 PM EDT
While removing/installing the barrel on my new-to-me X95, I managed to break the barrel lock locking tab. I watched the disassembly video, so I knew it was supposed to be moved outward to clear the recess...got distracted with doing other things, came back, and pushed the tab down/inward and rotated the barrel lock...SNAP!

Has anyone else managed to do this? How "fatal" of a mistake is this? The barrel lock seems to have enough friction to stay locked without the tab (at least for moderate use). IWI lists the barrel lock on their website, but of course it's OOS.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
This was fairly common after the Tavor SAR came on the market.   Used to be some discussion on the old Bullpup Forum but it is now defunct.   I suggest calling IWI but in the past the owner were charged for the parts.   I can’t remember how to remove the barrel locking tab when broken.   I think the tab is free to remove and just a matter of getting new parts.   My memory is not as good as it used to be, aging has caught me.

I’m surprised this part is out of stock but I still would call IWI.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Buddy, welcome to the club!! The good news is you'll probably never do that again.

https://iwi.us/product/tavor-barrel-pivot-lock/

Looks like you already have the link.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey Buddy, welcome to the club!! The good news is you'll probably never do that again.

https://iwi.us/product/tavor-barrel-pivot-lock/

Looks like you already have the link.
View Quote

Yep, as soon as I saw the replacement part on the site I figured, "Welp...I must not be the first one."

I sent IWI an email earlier, haven't heard back. I entered my info to be notified once it's back in stock and I have no issue with paying for the parts and installing myself (stupid should hurt). I asked them if it was safe to fire without the little tab...I suspect that it is, but I also suspect they'll say "Do not fire the rifle with the Barrel Pivot Lock not secured by the locking tab." as a CYA.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While removeing/installing the barrel on my new-to-me X95, I managed to break the barrel lock locking tab. I watched the disassembly video, so I knew it was supposed to be moved outward to clear the recess...got distracted with doing other things, came back, and pushed the tab down/inward and rotated the barrel lock...SNAP!

Has anyone else managed to do this? How "fatal" of a mistake is this? The barrel lock seems to have enough friction to stay locked without the tab (at least for moderate use). IWI lists the barrel lock on their website, but of course it's OOS.
View Quote

Brings back memories... .  It MAY be possible for it to turn under recoil but with as hard as they are to turn, I'd think it unlikely but be safe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Call them...they should have those parts as a back up for warranty...
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#6]
As others suggested, I would call. I destroyed my cocking rod removing the barrel, so don’t feel bad, lol. As far as being safe to fire, that barrel retaining cylinder is not going to move under recoil (or any other force, except the barrel removal wrench).

Look at it this way… you streamlined the barrel removal process by removing a step. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top