Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2018 12:55:15 PM EDT
I've been watching X-Treme's prices on their new plated bullet stock rise and rise to the point that they are off my list.  It's sad that they have a good product but let the production costs get away from them.  I understand the parent company, Howell Munitions and Technology, filed for Chapter 11 in 2017.  Hopefully they'll pull out of it a leaner, more cost effective company but till their prices return to a more competitive range they are off my radar.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if reloading related but
Their prices and my home range rules steered me away and towards other options.
IMO they are better than Berrys (which I used before them) because the copper wash seems harder and not easily scraped or torn.
I have no idea of how their operating works.
Maybe they paid workers less with a promise of more later.
Where I live there are three grocery stores, all offer different quality or selection. The ones where the employees make the most have the highest prices.
Are we upset that their prices went up so the people working there could make a better wage?
Who knows
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I’ve read of the Xtreme saga, the parent company assigned as “supervisors” to oversee the bullet making people who couldn’t spell “bullet”, let alone understand the details that make a product good or bad.  That led to bad things, including slowdowns in production.

Ramped up prices sounds like another parent company attempt to increase profit in the wrong way.

To build on the grocery store analogy, the most successful grocery chain in my area is very good to its employees and also offers very competitive pricing.  They can do this through two things: attentive and intelligent management, and lots of volume.  You can go broke trying for volume without good management, and you can go broke providing great management that can’t manage the volume to pay the costs.  You need to get the right balance.

The “secret” to big business is actually just understanding the actual business you’re in - from the single purchase customer to international levels of supplier networks, and everything between.  Running a business for short term shareholder profit alone is a great way to find yourself looking for work pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Could it be a result of sourcing materials?  They’re a quality product and still cheaper than FMJ.  I have many thousands of their bullets to go through before even needing to think about ordering more.  Maybe something will change by then
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#6]
QC wasn’t perfect but their 180 gr JHP 40 bullets shot fine out of my 2011.

Used to get theirs for 8-9 cents each...but as OP said, they spiked prices...too many options at 12 cents for me to stick around.

I switched to precision delta for my limited shooting in USPSA.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
QC wasn’t perfect but their 180 gr JHP 40 bullets shot fine out of my 2011.

Used to get theirs for 8-9 cents each...but as OP said, they spiked prices...too many options at 12 cents for me to stick around.

I switched to precision delta for my limited shooting in USPSA.
View Quote
I know a guy that's sitting on a plie of .40's that tumble out of a few nice pistols for no good reason, blue colored polymer ones don't, so use what works.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I still don't think $0.079 a bullet for their 124gr's shipped is a bad deal.  If they ever run promos again and they get down to less than 7 cents then it's a real good deal.

I just don't see how you can say they priced themselves out of the market when most plated bullets are the same price or slightly more.

I haven't ever had good luck with coated bullets so I steer clear of them of now...it doesn't help I run Titegroup either.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep they used to be a good deal

Now they are laughably insane

I can get actual fmj not plated from rmr for less

Or coated
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yep they used to be a good deal

Now they are laughably insane

I can get actual fmj not plated from rmr for less

Or coated
View Quote
Where?

Brownells has Hornady 147gr 9mm FMJ for $362 (on sale from $402) for 2500 bullets.  That’s 14.5 cents apiece (16c normally)

Xtreme 147gr RN has 3000 bullets for $250 (8.8cents)

If you can beat 8 cents for an FMJ, please tell us all
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rocky Mountain loading, 3000 count 147 FMJ for $258.  (round nose or flat same price) So 8 bucks more for FMJ vs. plated.

Personally, I have switched to Hi-tec coated 147 flat nose from either Bayou or Missouri.  Less cleaning than FMJ or Plated (no copper fouling)
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From what I’ve read of the Xtreme saga, the parent company assigned as “supervisors” to oversee the bullet making people who couldn’t spell “bullet”, let alone understand the details that make a product good or bad.  That led to bad things, including slowdowns in production.  .
View Quote
Not supervisors from the parent company.  The actual BANK which owned most of their debt.  (allegedly)
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought many thousand 200gr swc 45acp for my M&P.   Used to see 10 and 20% coupons but I haven't seen any in quite awhile. Not sure if they stopped that or they dropped me from the email list.

Prices aren't bad if coupons are still available.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Rocky Mountain loading, 3000 count 147 FMJ for $258.  (round nose or flat same price) So 8 bucks more for FMJ vs. plated.

Personally, I have switched to Hi-tec coated 147 flat nose from either Bayou or Missouri.  Less cleaning than FMJ or Plated (no copper fouling)
View Quote
I have used their 55gr .223 bullets and out of four other brands (Xtreme, Hornady, some seriously cheap factory seconds, and Lapua)  they were the worst in terms of group size.  Not sure if that’s a brand I trust too much.  Would have to test a small sample of their 9mm bullets
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Knock Knock....
might want to be aware that raw materials are costing more.
Nosler raised prices in April, about 4%.  Sierra is rasining prices now on average 3% and 8% on some products.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Knock Knock....
might want to be aware that raw materials are costing more.
Nosler raised prices in April, about 4%.  Sierra is rasining prices now on average 3% and 8% on some products.
View Quote
I didn’t have the figures but my first post was about materials
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree with ya OP, they made a good bullet at a good price up until about a year ago. I still get their email ads and haven't seen a 10% off sale in a year or more.

I only use plated bullets in 4 types of guns ( AK's, Mosin's, Garand, and 2 Thompson's). I've developed good loads using their plated .311's in the AK's, Mosin's and Garand and then in the Tommies with plated 230gr .45's. So, I bought a metric boatload of both when they were on sale at 10% in 2016. According to the chart above I bought them when they were at their cheapest level.

After I run out of these I'll have to use someone else's .311's and start casting and PC'ing 230gr .45's.

It sux that a good company like that gets run into the ground by greedy parent companies. I've seen that twice in places I've worked at.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree with ya OP, they made a good bullet at a good price up until about a year ago. I still get their email ads and haven't seen a 10% off sale in a year or more.

I only use plated bullets in 4 types of guns ( AK's, Mosin's, Garand, and 2 Thompson's). I've developed good loads using their plated .311's in the AK's, Mosin's and Garand and then in the Tommies with plated 230gr .45's. So, I bought a metric boatload of both when they were on sale at 10% in 2016. According to the chart above I bought them when they were at their cheapest level.

After I run out of these I'll have to use someone else's .311's and start casting and PC'ing 230gr .45's.

It sux that a good company like that gets run into the ground by greedy parent companies. I've seen that twice in places I've worked at.
View Quote
I was wondering about that myself as I was looking for any Memorial Day deals to be had. The last time I received a promo email from X-Treme was last October. I was wondering if I was still on their email list and tried signing up again but it said I was already in their system.

They used to be a decent buy but with the higher prices I only would buy from them during holiday sales and now it doesn't appear they are doing those anymore either. It wasn't bad with 10% off and free shipping, but without it I may have to go back to coated.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
From what I’ve read of the Xtreme saga, the parent company assigned as “supervisors” to oversee the bullet making people who couldn’t spell “bullet”, let alone understand the details that make a product good or bad.  That led to bad things, including slowdowns in production.

Ramped up prices sounds like another parent company attempt to increase profit in the wrong way.

To build on the grocery store analogy, the most successful grocery chain in my area is very good to its employees and also offers very competitive pricing.  They can do this through two things: attentive and intelligent management, and lots of volume.  You can go broke trying for volume without good management, and you can go broke providing great management that can’t manage the volume to pay the costs.  You need to get the right balance.

The “secret” to big business is actually just understanding the actual business you’re in - from the single purchase customer to international levels of supplier networks, and everything between.  Running a business for short term shareholder profit alone is a great way to find yourself looking for work pretty quickly.
View Quote
The ability to turn over items within the initial billing period (often 30 days) is a major goal.

Even if they cannot sell 100% selling enough to cover the initial cost often lets a place limp for a while.

The other thing about volume retail is it is not how much money passes through the register but what the cost to get that money into the register is.

If the cost of getting a $1 item on the shelf is only $0.20 you should do pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Where?

Brownells has Hornady 147gr 9mm FMJ for $362 (on sale from $402) for 2500 bullets.  That’s 14.5 cents apiece (16c normally)

View Quote
https://www.rmrbullets.com/products/379348791689248-9mm-124-gr-rmr-truncated-cone-flat-point-matchwinner
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.rmrbullets.com/products/379348791689248-9mm-124-gr-rmr-truncated-cone-flat-point-matchwinner
View Quote
The comparable Hornady 124gr bullet is 9 cents a round (Brownells); that’s not comparing apples to apples.  Of course 124gr RMRs are cheaper than 147gr Hornady.  I’ll take the known quantity of Hornady since it’s 8c vs 9c
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The comparable Hornady 124gr bullet is 9 cents a round (Brownells); that’s not comparing apples to apples.  Of course 124gr RMRs are cheaper than 147gr Hornady.  I’ll take the known quantity of Hornady since it’s 8c vs 9c
View Quote
Rock on dude.

I've used a few thousand of both and I wouldn't complain about either, they shoot good but I mainly like the FPs as a cheaper analog to my XTP loads.

The B&T APC9 really likes the RMRs you can shred a soda can at 60 yards easy, every other 9mm I've tried shoots them and the Hornady RNs and the overpriced Sierras equally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top