Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 2:33:24 PM EDT
I have a CTR I am looking to get a second shorter barrel for. My understanding is the factory barrels are extremely difficult to remove and you need something like this Wheeler external action wrench:

Attachment Attached File

So my question is, how do you torque the new barrel with this wrench? There doesn't appear to be a way to use a socket drive torque wrench. Do you have to use a different (internal) action wrench for that?

I have also heard of people using box wrenches to break the action loose. Is that doable? This wrench is a couple bucks.

Also, how much torque is a Tikka barrel supposed to have when you install it? My AI is 100 foot pounds.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll need a barrel vise and an action wrench.

I would not put that wrench on an action.

View Quote

Well it is marketed as an action wrench and other people have reccomended them but I have never used one so I don't know much about them.

Do you mean I would need an internal action wrench?

I have a barrel vise I use for my AI I was planning to use for this. I don't have a 6.5CM headspace gauge.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not an internal wrench, one that won't crush the action and fits the outer diameter tight so it won't slip.

I guess all you can do is give it a try.  I don't know if the Tikka action has a flat bottom.

View Quote

That's not all I can do. I can also break it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Flip the top part of the action wrench around to engage the flats (top & bottom) on the receiver. Remove the scope rail is you have one.

I wrapped the receiver a few times with painters tape to protect the finish.

Be sure to tighten the barrel vise and action wrench well. You do not want them to slip.

Tikka are torqued on tight. Will want to use a dead blow as suggested and possibly a cheater bar.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top