Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2018 7:01:45 PM EDT
I've had a nice 10/22 for about 10 years now. It started life as a basic carbine. A buddy was upgrading his 10/22 Target and offered up the heavy barrel and walnut stock for the price of "on the house," so I took him up on it.  At this point, it's essentially a 10/22T (configuration wise).  It shoots as good as it looks.

I will be receiving my first .22 suppressor/silencer/whatever you want to call it in the next couple of months (hopefully) and I don't currently have a rifle host.  Would you pay ~$120 to get this barrel threaded or sell this 10/22 and buy a new one that comes with a threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a Kidd for each 10/22 and sold the stock barrels.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I would pay to have it threaded especially if it shot well

No I would not pay $120 to have it threaded.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I assume the $120 is due to the heavy barrel.  That and I'm not pulling the barrel, so that would be extra too.  That and I'd have to pay to ship it.  The barrel is not light.

Quoted:
Yes I would pay to have it threaded especially if it shot well

No I would not pay $120 to have it threaded.
I'll do some more calling around. So far, that's the cheapest that I've found locally.  The quotes that I've received are why I haven't already gotten it done.

Quoted:
I just bought a Kidd for each 10/22 and sold the stock barrels.
~$200 seems to be the going rate. I'm not going that route.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Just remove it and send it to Morgan. Heavier barrels aren’t harder to thread.

Or if you think you can’t get good money sell it and buy what you want pre threaded. Take off factory barrels aren’t usually worth much.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or if you think you can’t get good money sell it and buy what you want pre threaded. Take off factory barrels aren’t usually worth much.
View Quote
I'll give it some thought. I would prefer to get it done locally, rather than having to mess with shipping it out.

I'm sure that you're right. I doubt very much that it's worth much.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll give it some thought. I would prefer to get it done locally, rather than having to mess with shipping it out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is local in VA?

@ACES_Tactical should be opening his shop soon. Maybe he can give you a better deal

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/MOVING-ON-Leaving-Specdive/24-618552/
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where is local in VA?

@ACES_Tactical should be opening his shop soon. Maybe he can give you a better deal

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/MOVING-ON-Leaving-Specdive/24-618552/
View Quote
I'll check with him.  Manassas is close enough. I could work drop-off and pick-up days with a range trip to ESS.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
i did. $100.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Timing, lol. Got my stamp and can (Dead Air Mask) this weekend. Have nothing currently setup to shoot with it. Will try to resolve that this week.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Local gunsmith/silencer manufacturer did mine for $90.

Any more than that, and I'd have just bought a new barrel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought this, looks like it went up in price, mine was under $250. Changing barrel is very easy.

SB-X™ Threaded Barrel
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
buy a Kidd barrel and be done with it. I love mine. So accurate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
If you like the way it shoots, send it to Morgan. He does excellent work extremely cheap. I am very happy with my.17hmr he chopped, threaded, and crowned.

If you want tighter groups, but a kidd. My kidd lightweight is a tack driver. Best $300 you can put into a $200 ruger 10/22.  It is almost as accurate as my old anschutz 1710 heavy barrel.

If you do get a kidd barrel, buy the extractor at the same time. My factory extractor wouldn’t pull an unfired round. It worked fine shooting, but wouldn’t grab good enough to extract the unfired round.

I would thread it, but I would send it to Morgan. I was going to go local (adco or area419) for my .17hmr, but Morgan was cheaper and he did a great job. Great bang for your buck!
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought threaded barrels.

If I was to do it again Id buy a new rifle thats threaded.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:18:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you like the way it shoots, send it to Morgan. He does excellent work extremely cheap. I am very happy with my.17hmr he chopped, threaded, and crowned.

If you want tighter groups, but a kidd. My kidd lightweight is a tack driver. Best $300 you can put into a $200 ruger 10/22.  It is almost as accurate as my old anschutz 1710 heavy barrel.

If you do get a kidd barrel, buy the extractor at the same time. My factory extractor wouldn’t pull an unfired round. It worked fine shooting, but wouldn’t grab good enough to extract the unfired round.

I would thread it, but I would send it to Morgan. I was going to go local (adco or area419) for my .17hmr, but Morgan was cheaper and he did a great job. Great bang for your buck!
View Quote
Just got my contender barrel back from Morgan today

he does excellent work

Attachment Attached File

more photos here
https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Barrel-Threading-sale-50-PTR-91-Aug-Scar-Sig-MPX-Beretta-21A-FAL-PAPM92-Pin-and-Welds/143-1029861/&page=50
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I threaded mine.

Only because the metal on the outside surface of the muzzle was showing signs of tiny hair line "cracks".  How that happened, I don't know for sure.  I should note that it was a GM SS bull barrel with flutes.   Anyway, I took it to "this guy" (protecting his ID) and had it threaded (w/ thread protector made).

One day maybe (I refuse to pay extra taxes).......I'll get a suppressor.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll likely just leave this in the safe until I feel like driving 30 minutes down the road and overpaying to get the job done.

On the other options:

-I'm not spending $250+ to replace a functioning/accurate barrel for a x < $200 gun.  That's money that can go towards my next AR build or 'x'.

-I've got no interest in pulling the barrel, boxing it up, and mailing it off.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll likely just leave this in the safe until I feel like driving 30 minutes down the road and overpaying to get the job done.

On the other options:

-I'm not spending $250+ to replace a functioning/accurate barrel for a x < $200 gun.  That's money that can go towards my next AR build or 'x'.

-I've got no interest in pulling the barrel, boxing it up, and mailing it off.
View Quote
Pulling the barrel is not hard. It literally takes 10min. EastTXhunter here in the forums is awesome. The job should cost you around $55 just guessing.

It’s a barrel so you can ship it via USPS with no hassle.

I have sent him 2-10/22 barrels and both have turned out great. He has also threaded a cz455 17hmr barrel as well. A+ work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pulling the barrel is not hard. It literally takes 10min. EastTXhunter here in the forums is awesome. The job should cost you around $55 just guessing.

It’s a barrel so you can ship it via USPS with no hassle.

I have sent him 2-10/22 barrels and both have turned out great. He has also threaded a cz455 17hmr barrel as well. A+ work.
View Quote
How much does it cost to mail out a heavy barrel?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
$15ish via USPS priority is my guess. They used to offer a triangular shipping box, pretty sure the box meant for "board games" will fit a 16" barrel diagonally. That's about $12
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Less than $20.00. Seems like it was around $16.00 for me in NEGA. The last barrel I mailed off I just cut up a old box and folded it over & around the barrel and taped the crap out of it. Then wrapped it like a Christmas present with brown packing paper.

Also forgot he threaded a cz452 scout for me. It turned out great as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

$15ish via USPS priority is my guess. They used to offer a triangular shipping box, pretty sure the box meant for "board games" will fit a 16" barrel diagonally. That's about $12
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cool. Thanks.

Quoted:

Less than $20.00. Seems like it was around $16.00 for me in NEGA. The last barrel I mailed off I just cut up a old box and folded it over & around the barrel and taped the crap out of it. Then wrapped it like a Christmas present with brown packing paper.

Also forgot he threaded a cz452 scout for me. It turned out great as well.
Nice. The thrifty part of me appreciates that idea.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cool. Thanks.

Nice. The thrifty part of me appreciates that idea.
View Quote
"Cardboard burrito" with lots of tape

https://postcalc.usps.com/
Shipping estimator, USPS still offers the triangle boxes and the board game boxes. Just gotta check your local post office, or make your own cardboard burrito and ship it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top