Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2018 2:31:30 PM EDT
Saw some 8mm Mausers for sale locally, and was wondering if they would be worth anything.  I would probably shoot them for fun occasionally.

Yugoslavia M48a 8mm Mauser - $375

"Yugo m48a Mauser 8mm. Good bore. Nice wood. Wood may have Been refinished as is super nice but not sure. Shoots well. Extracts well but ejector is a little weak (may need New spring). Has new leather sling. Non matching # bolt (common). Very strong mauser action. Rear sight is ghost ring style (see pic) with high vis red front sight. This is a handy compact rifle."

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Turkish 8mm Mauser - $275

"Turkish Mauser in 8mm. Excellent bore and nice trigger. Non matching # bolt but that is common. Shoots great."

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The Turk has more history, the Yugo is way shorter so more useful.  The Turk is $100 cheaper, the Yugo's sights are better with that upgrade.    Hard choice.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
BOTH!
I let an M48 in as issued condition go for $500 and I am still thinking it was a mistake.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
What about the fact that both of the rifles do not have matching serial numbers and one has had the wood refinished?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BOTH!
I let an M48 in as issued condition go for $500 and I am still thinking it was a mistake.
View Quote
You'll hate me for this.

Yugo M48 unissued condition, complete with correct Yugo sling, correct ammo pouches, and correct Yugo army leather load bearing harness.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What about the fact that both of the rifles do not have matching serial numbers and one has had the wood refinished?
View Quote
The wood on that Yugo may not of been refinished, looks like mine and mine has not been refinished, just a couple coats of BLO is protect it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The wood on that Yugo may not of been refinished, looks like mine and mine has not been refinished, just a couple coats of BLO is protect it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it was refinished, would you still buy it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long as it looks good, sure.  But understand that Yugo M48's don't really have the same historic value as other Mausers.  If you want a shooter, the Yugo all day long, if your collecting, the Turk.  That Yugo is is great shape and probably has not seen too many rounds through it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
id take the yugo. short and handy and its in great shape.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't already have one of each I would get both.  Turk mausers usually run cheaper, but if the bore is excellent as they claim it would not be a bad deal.  Turk mausers were generally used hard.  The yugo mauser's sight looks like a mojo and those are much better for shooting.  They usually run over $60, so I would say that one is a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Century has Yugo m48s for 309 right now
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Century has Yugo m48s for 309 right now
View Quote
looking at their site, they are in nowhere near as shape as the one the OP posted.  Cracked stocks/bluing etc..
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#12]
He said he would let them both go for $600, but it’s an hour away

Thinking about fo’ing
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He said he would let them both go for $600, but it’s an hour away

Thinking about fo’ing
View Quote
I'd do it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd get the Turkish gun for the simple reason that I've always wanted to shoot a Mauser long rifle.

Now if I were working on a collection of Yugoslavian rifles (which should be a relatively inexpensive until I start hunting for a Serbian 1899), I'd get the M48.

EDIT... Not with that rear sight though.  If it's replaceable with the original sight, sure.

Or, for $600, get both.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Both
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I made a deal with the guy to buy them both for $600 and he agreed.

We established a place to meet and I told him I would see him there.

He emailed me an hour later saying the deal was off, someone else bought it before I did and "first come first serve".

Kind of shitty IMO, but oh well.  Would've been nice to add to the collection.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Guy is a dick, he agreed to the dal, then pulled out? Fuck him....

But I would have bought them for that, and resold the Yugo for sure, it holds 0 cachet for me...the Turk is kind of cool...
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Guy is a dick, he agreed to the dal, then pulled out? Fuck him....

But I would have bought them for that, and resold the Yugo for sure, it holds 0 cachet for me...the Turk is kind of cool...
View Quote
Exactly what I was gonna do

Spent $800 on a laptop yesterday instead

Probably a good thing, my safe is getting full anyways
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He emailed me an hour later saying the deal was off, someone else bought it before I did and "first come first serve".

View Quote
Probably got his asking is my guess. Happened to me on an item from Facebook marketplace just as I was getting ready to drive to the locale. Sucked, but I didn't need more shit anyways.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Probably got his asking is my guess. Happened to me on an item from Facebook marketplace just as I was getting ready to drive to the locale. Sucked, but I didn't need more shit anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rifles were on Armslist for many months, so it's just weird that the day I message him to purchase, some other buyer comes around the same day?

I guess stranger things have happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top