Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2017 12:03:47 AM EDT
Ever since I was a kid playing with models of Huey and Cobra gunships I've always thought it'd be extremely cool to own a deactivated (i.e. all firing systems, wiring, etc. removed) 7 or 19 round pod.

Is this even in the realm of possibility? What's the legality involved? I mean realistically it's just a steel cylinder with holes in it I swear I've seen surplus ones for sale years ago but can't recall the details. And I know I've seen inert training 2.75"/70mm rockets for sale. I believe someone on ARF has one, same guy that's got an inert AIM-9 maybe?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks for any information guys.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that the rockets themselves would be the DD, not the aerodynamic fairing and ignition system.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
The pod itself is just a carrying device so no. Here is one being offered by ordnance.com

2.75" pod.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The pod itself is just a carrying device so no. Here is one being offered by ordnance.com

2.75" pod.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that the rockets themselves would be the DD, not the aerodynamic fairing and ignition system.
View Quote
Why quibble over $200 when you're activating a 19 shot rocket pod?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to take the contrary view and ask why a rocket pod WOULDN'T be considered a DD.  It's a serial numbered, reloadable, rocket launcher that launches rockets that are clearly destructive devices themselves.  It really wouldn't be any different than a bazooka except it has more barrels.

Of course, a few discreet holes and cross pins would qualify one for removal from the NFA restrictions but I'd contend an all original example would be subject to registration.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If you do some searching on 'Security Aviation Alaska Rocket Pod' you will find a case where the feds brought charges on rocket pods.  The short story is that they got off after spending crazy money on the defense.

The did an 'American Greed' episode on the larger events around this incident that you'll come across reference to.  The rocket pods were just the first charges in a much larger case.

Rocket Pod Charges
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top