Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2019 6:24:30 PM EDT
Completely new to NV, but wanting to get my foot wet without going completely head first if possible. For something that would be used for camping/recreational shooting/hiking/etc and not with any type of LEO/Mil professional use, would the below still be plenty functional in that regard and be worth $1400 to get into the game? It's supposedly a new blem unit with serial number 1551035 and the below basic info. The vendor said it doesn't have a spec sheet, but comes with a 1 year warranty through them. I've been watching the EE here and appears like I could get a used unit for ~$2K, but if the blem on this wouldn't really be all that bad in outdoor use, it'd sure be nice to be able use the price difference to buy the additional gear. I typically subscribe to the buy once cry once mantra, but I would probably foresee these sitting in my safe way more often than not, so a little bit more of a tough pill to swallow.

SPECIFICATION
IIT Generation Gen 3 High Performance Manual Gain
Resolution 64-72 lp/mm
Magnification 1x
Multi-Purpose System Yes
Photocathode Type Thin film GaAs
Lens System F1.2
FOV 40°
Range of Focus 0.25 m to infinity
Diopter Adjustment +2 to -6 dpt
Controls Direct
Bright Light Cut-off Yes
Automatic Shut-off System Yes
Infrared Illuminator Yes (Built in)
Power Supply One (1) AA battery
Battery Life 50 hrs
Environmental Rating Waterproof / MIL-STD-810 Complies
Operating Temperature -51 to +49 °C
Dimensions 114x 51 x 57 mm / 4.5 x 2 x 2.25 in
Weight 0.35 kg / 12.4 lbs

Link Posted: 2/4/2019 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
For your first... Do it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
i would wait. shop around. i was in the same boat as you 4 months ago. I kept an eye on the EE and got a blem free unit from a member for $1600 shipped. that blem is gonna get on your nerves!
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
That’s the best bet but it’s tough waiting when you get the NVD fever though, lol

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i would wait. shop around. i was in the same boat as you 4 months ago. I kept an eye on the EE and got a blem free unit from a member for $1600 shipped. that blem is gonna get on your nerves!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait and save up some more
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Tiny 'fly speck' blems are much easier to live with than one like that! I have to agree that one will get on your nerves pretty quickly!
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
IMHO If I where a new knowing what I know now and being a new person with a 1,400 budget I'd look for a blem free Gen 3 Omni VII PVS7 "poor man's binos". Having both eyes seeing the same image will make walking around while looking through toilet paper tubes much easier and give you superior depth perception vs a mono PVS14. I own all 3 (binos, bioccular, mono) systems and for the money 7s are tough to beat vs spending 800-1,000 more on a mono PVS14 with the same spec tube. If you need the most packable system then a 14 maybe your best bet, but if not a set of 7s are IMHO best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Blems quickly disappear into the background during actual use, even a streak like that won't be too objectionable unless you're staring at a white wall. There's better deals to be had but this wouldn't be horrible either. I'd say it's in the category of if you like it or are tempted, go for it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
If it really is new production, just a blem, I would say do it for $1400.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the responses, seems like it's a little split between buy or not. Definitely tempting, but may hold out and keep an eye on the EE for a bit longer. Decisions decisions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are going cheap get pvs7, tons of nv for a cheap price, my first was $850 with a huge liver spot.  Well worth the cash sold for 900 and upgraded to a clean 7, and a 15.  If you can use a friends to figure out what you like.

Poor mans shopping list to be lethal for less:

M845 if you want a scope, done but not great unless you like walking in the dark then stop and look type hunting.

Pvs7 gen 3, cheaper the better
Helmet this is a good spot to splurge at first, hard to out grow a good helmet.  I like my team Wendy and likely won’t ever replace it.  
Mil surplus mount
Lasermax ir or similar laser used, hard to zero and tempromental but recheck zero often and you are good enough.
-this setup is deadly on pigs.  Parts can be sold for about what you paid if bought used.  Upgrade each part when you find its slowing you down.  Laser likely will be first to need an upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I would very much consider buying it for 1400 with 1 year warrantee.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:19:46 AM EDT
[#12]
if that is autogated, manual gain and comes with a factory 1yr warranty for $1400, that is a deal. the blem is bad, but it shouldn't be that bothersome under normal use. I wonder what caused it? is it an actual defect/blem in the tube, or caused by carelessness (ie a scratch on the output side of the glass, or some type of laser burn or something).

Worst case, if it bothers you - I don't think you'd lose any money if you resold it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
No spec sheet would scare me. But you could prob flip it if it pisses you off and not take a loss.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]
So, did the OP buy this?  I'm curious what it looks like outside vs a white background.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, did the OP buy this?  I'm curious what it looks like outside vs a white background.
View Quote
It’s still for sale on eBay I believe.  The price was dropped from $1800 to $1400 recently
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump in hopes of an update.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry guys, just saw the last few responses. I had decided to buy it, but waited a couple days too long and someone else beat me to it. It was on Ebay for what it's worth and the same seller in TX had other units for the same price, but with much worse blems. I ended up buying a a higher spec'd/non-blem setup from brodband8 on here instead that is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so pretty excited to try it out. I appreciate the responses though. Now just trying to decide what IR laser setup to go with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry guys, just saw the last few responses. I had decided to buy it, but waited a couple days too long and someone else beat me to it. It was on Ebay for what it's worth and the same seller in TX had other units for the same price, but with much worse blems. I ended up buying a a higher spec'd/non-blem setup from brodband8 on here instead that is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so pretty excited to try it out. I appreciate the responses though. Now just trying to decide what IR laser setup to go with.
View Quote
Brodband8 is an honest dude and usually has reasonable prices on his stuff. Good choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top