Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2018 2:17:50 AM EDT
Hey Guys -

I am building a new workshop and will have a total bench space of 14' in an "L" configuration.  I plan to stand for the most part, though I do have an adjustable workshop chair.

I am thinking of measuring below my elbows where it would be comfortable to rest your arms on the workbench top so I'm not bending over for hours on end.  That would be 41" for me.

Any advice?  It seems a bit high but I know height recommendations will be different based on individuals.  Am I looking at this the right way?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I am short so built mine at 4'6" for me standing. Build one for you standing and then cut it down for sitting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
About wrist height when standing relaxed.

Always build it slight higher since cutting it down is a lot easier than blocking it up.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm 6'4" and I built mine "higher" this time.  I setting at 42"  I stand the majority of the time when I'm in the shop since I sit all day.  This has been a comfortable height for me.  I made mine with T-Tracks inlaid for mounting things like reloading presses.  It was a little more time/money but it's been well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Your thinking is sound.

Mine is just below my elbow height, this allows me to work with arms comfortably bent but not bent over.
Stand for 8-10 hours at a lower height bench and your back will scream. Do it for a week and you'll hardly be able to stand upright.
If you want to sit a bar height stool does nicely.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I made mine with T-Tracks inlaid for mounting things like reloading presses.  It was a little more time/money but it's been well worth it.
View Quote
I use 2x lumber pieces of suitable width and length.
About as fancy as I get is to inlay some steel angle in each end to clamp against and not crush the wood.
A couple shorter F clamps and everything stays in place.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm 6'4" and I built mine "higher" this time.  I setting at 42"  I stand the majority of the time when I'm in the shop since I sit all day.  This has been a comfortable height for me.  I made mine with T-Tracks inlaid for mounting things like reloading presses.  It was a little more time/money but it's been well worth it.
View Quote
Thats what i went with makes it easy to draw file in a vice with no risers.Attachment Attached File

I am also 6'4"
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thats what i went with makes it easy to draw file in a vice with no risers.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3064/IMG_1136_JPG-792309.JPG

I am also 6'4"
View Quote
Nice, but something is wrong with that picture!!!!

Nobodies shop is that clean!

Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what i went with makes it easy to draw file in a vice with no risers.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3064/IMG_1136_JPG-792309.JPG

I am also 6'4"

That was the day i finished getting power to the building it is already a wreck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That was the day i finished getting power to the building it is already a wreck.
View Quote
HA,  I was staining the top piece of sanded plywood for my bench.  My wife came in and I told her I hated the color and was going to sand it down.  She said, "what's the difference?  It's going to be completely covered and you won't see it soon anyways..."
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:42:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

HA,  I was staining the top piece of sanded plywood for my bench.  My wife came in and I told her I hated the color and was going to sand it down.  She said, "what's the difference?  It's going to be completely covered and you won't see it soon anyways..."
View Quote
It is amazing how smart they are!

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm just a tab bit taller, and the last Bench I built (new house, bigger work area) is right at 42" and is on caster wheels so when I need to move it for a project its easy to do. Top is 4' x 6' and I've made 5/8" steel plates that are drilled & tapped for reloading presses: It's much easier and more secure to lag-screw those plates to the bench than going through the Press itself. (easier to remove too if you need the room)
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#12]
By now you've probably already built your workbench but here's my 2 cents.

The most comfortable bench height that I've built has been about belt buckle high.  That way working on the bench is good and if you have a vice on the bench it isn't too high either.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am also 6'4"
View Quote
Nice riser on the Millrite, I put 6" blocks under the base of mine to get it at a comfortable height.  Did the same to my lathe, now when I use the lowrider of a lathe we have at work my back protests.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top