Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2020 9:54:57 PM EDT
So I've got this tan buckle Woodland SDS RACK that's mostly complete and in pretty mint condition.  Just missing a few pouches but 2 of them are pretty hard to find.

I've read a little bit about them and it seems they are getting harder to come by.  I don't really need it for anything and won't actually be using it.  At this point it's old tech that would mostly interest collectors or Airsofters I'm assuming.  I'm debating on whether I should keep and complete it, complete and sell, or just sell what I've got.

I don't want to dump much more into it but if having a complete set would make it worth more now or in the future I might go that route.  Just don't want to spend the money on the last few pouches I need but not be able to at least get my money back out of it.  May be better off letting whoever ends up wanting it for collecting reasons finish it out now that I've thought it through some.  

Anyone got any suggestions that's more knowledgeable on the topic?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Collectors get off on running down the hard to find stuff, and wheeling and dealing. Unless you are interested in holding onto it for your own collection, I'd let the next guy spend the time, money, and energy to complete it.

With that said, what are you missing?  I have quite a bit of woodland SPEAR gear in old tuff boxes laying around.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Collectors get off on running down the hard to find stuff, and wheeling and dealing. Unless you are interested in holding onto it for your own collection, I'd let the next guy spend the time, money, and energy to complete it.

With that said, what are you missing?  I have quite a bit of woodland SPEAR gear in old tuff boxes laying around.
View Quote

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  The person that ends up wanting to keep it will spend what they need to spend to complete the kit.  Juice may not be worth the squeeze for me to hint the parts down unless I find them cheap somewhere.

This is what I have.

One of the grenade pouches is trash (I cut it up doing some experimenting), and the GP/Medical pouch on the left wasn't part of the kit as far as I know but it fit well there and I had it.  Everything is SDS minus the med pouch that doesn't even belong.

I need a Sabre radio pouch, AN/PRC-126 pouch, drop leg sustainment pouch, and a couple more grenade pouches.  

There are some drop leg sustainment pouches around but I'm not really looking to spend $45 on one since I'm not sure if I want to keep it.  The two radio pouches are the hardest to find parts I'm missing, especially since I'm specifically looking for tan buckles to match the rest.

I guess technically I need a different canteen pouch and grenade pouches also since they aren't RACK labeled but I wouldn't even know how to begin hunting those down. As far as I know they are the same as the general issue MOLLE II stuff minus the label so who knows how to specifically hunt those down.  Maybe it's not as complete as I thought

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a big Rubbermaid tote full of this kind of stuff in the boiler room, as long as it doesn't get wet in a flood it will all be good for many years. If there's a Boogaloo I can hand it out and if not I can sell it to GWOT re-enactors in 50yrs
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Do want.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got a big Rubbermaid tote full of this kind of stuff in the boiler room, as long as it doesn't get wet in a flood it will all be good for many years. If there's a Boogaloo I can hand it out and if not I can sell it to GWOT re-enactors in 50yrs
View Quote

I doubt I'll be alive in 50 years

My "guy stuff" storage has become more and more limited over the years so I've started paring my gear down recently.  Most of the time I'll get rid of stuff pretty quickly that I have no emotional attachment to.  This RACK seemed interesting though as they are getting harder to find.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell people if the pouches are permanently attached, or not.  If you have no use for it, sell it on the EE.

As far as materials and construction methods, SDS stuff met, or exceeded, USGI/FedGov requirements.

SDS was a Huge supplier of USGI gear back then.  Early items had black buckles, and IIRC later items had tan buckles.  Might be wrong on this, as various buckles might have been substituted, as available.

NO expert, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tell people if the pouches are permanently attached, or not.  If you have no use for it, sell it on the EE.

As far as materials and construction methods, SDS stuff met, or exceeded, USGI/FedGov requirements.

SDS was a Huge supplier of USGI gear back then.  Early items had black buckles, and IIRC later items had tan buckles.  Might be wrong on this, as various buckles might have been substituted, as available.

NO expert, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
View Quote

That's what I ended up doing.

It's all MOLLE, nothing permanently attached.  I like that the "bib" can be stripped of pouches and tucked into one of the mesh map pockets on the back to run it like a TT MAV.  Makes it easier to get in and out of too.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same full SDS rig, it sits in a shelf in my closet. Every now and then maybe I’ll wear it to the range on a drill day to look OG AF. Not a lot of woodland camo era guys around anymore
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not a lot of woodland camo era guys around anymore
View Quote

I think woodland is in full swing and cool again, I read that among civilian shooters it's got the moniker "God's plaid". My opinion it's that because of Marine and Army special forces wore it as they would blend in with the Afghans equipped with the same pattern.

Regarding your rack, design wise it was one of the first molle rigs ever and it's large and saggy (which is not bad when worn over armor and can carry a lot of military necessary items).
Collecting wise this variant is not the ranger issued one, it is a commercial one, value on the market should be lower, but I think it may be a good time for selling. I have a dcu one from FedtEx new in bag, as issued to some infantry units, but it's lower in quality.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#10]
About five years ago, there was some sort of tactical outlet store locally selling mostly SDS gear. That rack with all pouches was bagged up going for 35.00. A giant bin full. I foolishly did not get one; went back a month later to stock up and the place was out of business.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]
If it ends up for sale, I would most certainly be interested.

I admittedly have a STRONG affinity for the aforementioned "God's Plaid".
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

One of the guys earlier in the thread was interested and has claimed it in the EE already.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

One of the guys earlier in the thread was interested and has claimed it in the EE already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think woodland is in full swing and cool again, I read that among civilian shooters it's got the moniker "God's plaid". My opinion it's that because of Marine and Army special forces wore it as they would blend in with the Afghans equipped with the same.
View Quote

Um it was also the standard issue uniform pattern.  Early on in Iraq it was common to see issued TA50 like flaks and kevlars in woodland with DCU uniforms.  Among infantry units in greener areas along the Tigris and Euphrates the woodland BDUs were also worn on patrols.  The issued JSLIST was also mostly woodland that’s why you’ll see photos of dudes wearing woodland in the days/weeks after they crossed the berm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top