Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2021 6:21:11 PM EDT
I successfully swapped wood furniture on my .357/.38 SPL rifle. I'm very much a "tacticool" rifle guy but I thought wood would look good on here.

Before for reference:

Stock and handguard kit (H010/H018)

And Henry's warranty department provided me the forearm cap, part # H10-042 at no charge which was very generous.

Here's a great Youtube video showing how to take it apart for handguard swaps.

Henry X Model - Ranger Point Precision Handguard Install
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You were correct, it looks great!
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome for confirmation the the forend wood fits.  
It looks way better than the plastic I think, I just wish they could be had with straight grip buttstock.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If I can ever find an X in 44 I will swap also.
Plus the carbine would look cool in black on the switch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great.  How Henry should have done it to start.

I will eventually do this on my Big Boy Xs but feeling a little cheap at the moment after blowing the fun money on some other stuff.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:18:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks amazing!! I’m going to have to call henry tomorrow for mine!!  Love it!
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the change
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
That's exactly what I want to do when I get my X model.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks 10x better :) I'm not a fan of the tactical look on a levergun. They sent you some good furniture.

I stripped the wood on my H001 a few years back. When I was done it looked like I had two different pieces of wood from two different kinds of trees.

I called Henry CS asking for help. They couldn't help me even after offering to pay for it. I sent a email to the president and a few days later I had a new set if furniture, a nice ball cap and coffee mug...all for free. I wanted to pay for it but he refused payment.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks great! I wonder what the weight difference is.

Quoted:
Awesome for confirmation the the forend wood fits.  
It looks way better than the plastic I think, I just wish they could be had with straight grip buttstock.
View Quote

You might be able to swap the lower tang and loop. It might be easier to just thread a standard model. Dustin Ellerman has a video with his older .357 threaded.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks great! I wonder what the weight difference is.

You might be able to swap the lower tang and loop. It might be easier to just thread a standard model. Dustin Ellerman has a video with his older .357 threaded.
View Quote

I wish I had weighed the furniture beforehand. The forearm is shorter so it should be lighter. The stock feels better but I am not entirely sure.

I want to trim my sight rail a hair as I hate the overhang and I'm debating now doing a leather loop wrap to match the wood.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can swap tang/loop on marlins, assume Henry is same.  Buying a tang(if Henry would sell a complete tang), loop, and new wood is a bunch of $$!  

You can thread easily enough, but it's an added hassle and expense.  I just wish Henry would make them to save us money and hassle!
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I successfully swapped wood furniture on my .357/.38 SPL rifle. I'm very much a "tacticool" rifle guy but I thought wood would look good on here.

https://i.imgur.com/hCG3g9D.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JCBYsMN.jpg

Before for reference:

https://i.imgur.com/ZniktuE.jpg

Stock and handguard kit (H010/H018)

And Henry's warranty department provided me the forearm cap, part # H10-042 at no charge which was very generous.

Here's a great Youtube video showing how to take it apart for handguard swaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCDmZpRFgoE
View Quote

That looks awesome! Post in the “Tactical Levergun” thread.

What was the rough cost? What did you order? I have a .44 BBX, and I switched out the forearm to a Rangerpoint. I think it would look awesome with wood and an RPP forearm.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That looks awesome! Post in the “Tactical Levergun” thread.

What was the rough cost? What did you order? I have a .44 BBX, and I switched out the forearm to a Rangerpoint. I think it would look awesome with wood and an RPP forearm.
View Quote

I linked the stock and forearm kit in the first post. About $150 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

One of my only "complaints" with Henry is that I wish it was possible to put the slightly longer forend wood from the 45-70 size rifles, on the pistol caliber ones.  I have long arms and have a more comfortable support hand grip farther out than Henry likes to install.

The length of the X forearms is nice, I just wish it was wood.  The wood furniture is nice, I just wish it was longer.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks way better. I don’t understand why lever gun manufacturers all seem to equate a threaded barrel with all kinds of other tactical crap. Just a plain blued steel or stainless model with a threaded muzzle will do fine, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been waiting to see if the new Ruglin offers an 1894 in 38/357 with a curved walnut stock (like a 336 stock) and blue finish.  (like the Dark series, but blue and walnut).

That Henry Big Boy X with walnut might end up fitting the bill for what I want.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks 10x better :) I'm not a fan of the tactical look on a levergun. They sent you some good furniture.

I stripped the wood on my H001 a few years back. When I was done it looked like I had two different pieces of wood from two different kinds of trees.

I called Henry CS asking for help. They couldn't help me even after offering to pay for it. I sent a email to the president and a few days later I had a new set if furniture, a nice ball cap and coffee mug...all for free. I wanted to pay for it but he refused payment.
View Quote

The folks at Henry are good people.  Several years I had sent a message to Anthony Emperato (so?) and was pretty surprised when he responded and struck up a conversation.  He asked if he could send my sister and I something.  I, of course, said "yes".  About a week later we got a big box from him with T-shirts, hats, coffee mug and various swag.  Sure surprised me, since he asked us our shirt sizes I expected a t-shirt or two.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good OP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks better, for sure.  Now get rid of the red dot and suppressor and you'll have a decent looking rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks better, for sure.  Now get rid of the red dot and suppressor and you'll have a decent looking rifle.
View Quote

I'm good. The reason I bought the rifle to begin with is to throw a can on it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm good. The reason I bought the rifle to begin with is to throw a can on it.
View Quote

I've been hoping someone would figure out how to get wood furniture on the X-model. It looks fantastic. I've got a can that should be out of ATF jail in another 2-3 months. Hopefully by then I'll see a .357 X-model in stock and snatch it up. And when I do, its definitely getting wood furniture
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've been hoping someone would figure out how to get wood furniture on the X-model. It looks fantastic.
View Quote

It really does look good. I don't think Henry makes anything that looks as good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if the forend and barrel band from the brass side gate 410 would also fit. I like how the wood extends past the barrel band a bit. Of course then the checkering wouldn't match the buttstock and the barrel band would have to be blackened. Or as Seven-shooter suggested, put the long 45-70 forend on if you had a gunsmith put another dovetail farther forward. Probably more trouble than its worth tho
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I just ordered the wood for my 44X as well.  I can’t wait to get it installed!  Thanks for providing the links and part numbers.  Henry’s warranty dept also is sending me the cap free of charge.  They didn’t sound happy about doing the wood on the X model but I’m loving how yours turned out!
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks way better. I don’t understand why lever gun manufacturers all seem to equate a threaded barrel with all kinds of other tactical crap. Just a plain blued steel or stainless model with a threaded muzzle will do fine, thanks.
View Quote

Email Henry’s suggestion email box and ask them to make an All Weather Threaded. I did.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow, that looks amazing. I’ve been wanting to do this. Now my only hang up is deciding to go that route or to make a set out of fancy/exotic wood.

Considering:

Curly Birch
Curly Cherry
Curly Maple
Quartersawn Sycamore
Lacewood
Wenge
Zebrawood

What could go wrong with a first attempt at making a stock and checkering.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Just did the wood conversion to my X.  So much nicer.  Henry was amazing to deal with!  Had a snafu with the wood and they stepped up and went beyond what I would have expected to fix the issue.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just did the wood conversion to my X.  So much nicer.  Henry was amazing to deal with!  Had a snafu with the wood and they stepped up and went beyond what I would have expected to fix the issue.

View Quote

Good stuff. Henry has a great reputation for working with their customers. I wonder if Henry has seen an uptick in wood furniture sales here recently. I’ve heard of a few folks making the swap.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#30]
They really need to just make the 16 inch rifles with threaded barrels, that's what everybody wants anyway!
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They really need to just make the 16 inch rifles with threaded barrels, that's what everybody wants anyway!
View Quote

I’m just not sure why they chose 17.5” for their X models and not like 16.1.  Maybe they needed the extra for the tube load, but I’d love it an inch shorter (that’s not what she said)
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Great choice! I don't understand why nobody is making a blue / wood finish threaded lever gun. Really about the only thing I would want. I hate the black synthetic and stainless offerings. I haven't looked in a while as I didn’t want to take on another project. This might push me over the edge.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks great, that’s how i would have bought it if given the chance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Beautiful! I might have to do that to both of mine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#35]
??

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wow, that looks amazing. I’ve been wanting to do this. Now my only hang up is deciding to go that route or to make a set out of fancy/exotic wood.

Considering:

Curly Birch
Curly Cherry
Curly Maple
Quartersawn Sycamore
Lacewood
Wenge
Zebrawood

What could go wrong with a first attempt at making a stock and checkering.
View Quote

What did you decide to do?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Put it on the back burner

To many projects, still on the to do list…
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for sharing this~!
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:37:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What did you decide to do?
View Quote

Couldn’t find anything I liked in the right size locally. Ordered a piece of lacewood today…
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Replying to an old thread.
Picked up a a 44 and looking for more pic's of the wood conversions!
Anyone weight the rifle before and after?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#41]
On a side note, I was extremely lucky to get a tour of Henry a couple months ago. It's quite the operation! Mostly everything made there in Rice Lake, WI expect the barrel and a few other small items. Barrels are finished there.

Was able to handle quite a few of their rifles along with a few .357 Big Boy X's (which I am on the hunt for!). Asked why there was such a shortage and the only reply he could give was "we're shipping them as fast as we can!"

Also handled a prototype revolver which had a very smooth and semi light double action trigger. No ETA.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#42]
That looks really good. Will need to start looking at these come bonus time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
On a side note, I was extremely lucky to get a tour of Henry a couple months ago. It's quite the operation! Mostly everything made there in Rice Lake, WI expect the barrel and a few other small items. Barrels are finished there.

Was able to handle quite a few of their rifles along with a few .357 Big Boy X's (which I am on the hunt for!). Asked why there was such a shortage and the only reply he could give was "we're shipping them as fast as we can!"

Also handled a prototype revolver which had a very smooth and semi light double action trigger. No ETA.

View Quote

Interesting, I would have guessed they would make pump shotguns (maybe double barrel shotguns) next. Can you say any more about it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#44]
If you're talking about the revolver I really don't know much more. It looked similar to a Ruger vaquero. DA trigger was very nice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Dumb question, but what makes the all weather furniture set all weather.  I would think it would be more expensive than the regular wood furniture, but it is actually less expensive.

Found out.
While we remain partial to our genuine American walnut stocks, we’ve opted for a stained hardwood with a carefully engineered coating that is formulated to stand up to wear, tear, scratches, moisture, temperature variations, and the angst of the various “character marks” that an everyday outdoor tool will inevitably pick up during its lifetime. This is the finish you want for a rifle that might be “rode hard and put away wet.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

First cuts… finally getting to it. No time schedule…
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:38:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2022 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top