Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2022 6:27:28 PM EDT
I'm trying to finish up an ar-9 project and having issues with my dead air Wolfman.   I'm using a Rainier Arms barrel.  When I use the direct thread adapter that came with the suppressor it appears pretty much perfectly aligned.   When I switch to the keymicro adapter that I bought separate the alignment is off quite a bit.  The first muzzle  device I used was a solgw nox.  I then swapped to a j-mac customs brake.   Both times the alignment was off about the same.  I will say the j-macs felt smoother when tightening down the suppressor.   Does this pretty much narrow it down to the keymicro adapter from dead air? Am I missing something?   I would think if the barrel was the problem then the alignment would be off when I direct threaded it on.   Thoughts?

Direct thread

Keymicro adapter

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Muzzle brakes don’t do much for 9mm.  I’d probably direct thread it or go 3-lug.  Do you have another suppressor to test the Keymount?  In all likelihood the mount is the culprit as muzzle devices should have all alignment surfaces turned concentric in one part fixturing, just as with a direct thread mount.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Look vertically not horizontally.

I’d bet that’s fine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun was laying on its side.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By /fordtuff
Gun was laying on its side.
View Quote

Gravity

ETA: You’re the reason silencer engineers don’t like those rods.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Muzzle brakes don't do much for 9mm.  I'd probably direct thread it or go 3-lug.  Do you have another suppressor to test the Keymount?  In all likelihood the mount is the culprit as muzzle devices should have all alignment surfaces turned concentric in one part fixturing, just as with a direct thread mount.
View Quote

I have a sandman s but I can't fit the 9mm aligned rod down it.   My other rifle has a regular keymo device so this suppressor won't fit on it.   I figured it was the muzzle device that's why I swapped to another one.  Find it weird that they'd both be off about the same amount.   Between the 2 devices and the keymicro adapter im into this over $450. Would be nice if it would work if possible.  I was hoping to swap this suppressor back and forth with a 9x39 rifle. Didn't want to deal with thread protectors when not using it.   I don't have an alignment rod for the 9x39 to check it yet.  It's actual about 9.3mm so a 9mm rod is pretty loose in it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Gravity

ETA: You're the reason silencer engineers don't like those rods.
View Quote
Just a little paranoid.  Such a pain to get these things trying to not mess it up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just a little paranoid.  Such a pain to get these things trying to not mess it up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gravity

ETA: You're the reason silencer engineers don't like those rods.

I have those rods and used to use them.
That’s how I knew.
I used to over think it too.

Like I tell my wife… relax n let it happen.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
toss the rod in the trash and shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Check the rod on a glass table. If the rid us good shim the rod with a single layer of one circumference (No overlap) of thin scotch tape.  Hold host vertical. Put index mark on rod and rotate mark to 12, 3, 6,9 o:clock.  See how the rod behaves.  Repeat with front cap removed to gauge clearance at last baffle.

Bore sighting can tell you if there is a clear path if your eye is centered.  

After one shot stop and inspect front cap for smear or strikes.

Most strikes are from loose mounts after getting complacent and/or can gets too hot to check tightness without getting burns.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check the rod on a glass table. If the rid us good shim the rod with a single layer of one circumference (No overlap) of thin scotch tape.  Hold host vertical. Put index mark on rod and rotate mark to 12, 3, 6,9 o:clock.  See how the rod behaves.  Repeat with front cap removed to gauge clearance at last baffle.

View Quote
That's a good trick. I need to try that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top