Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2018 2:03:28 PM EDT
https://www.wittmachine.net/canooter-valve.html

Looks like a brand new product out and the price point is certainly appealing, has anyone used any of their other products at all?

I'd be putting this on an 11.5 middy once and never removing it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds too good to be true.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
ETA: What he said

Seems risky to me. I know there are deals to be had, I got a Trek for $269. But I’d look at the YHM turbo for a low price sure thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That's almost some JJFA-level black magic if it's FA rated on a 7" barrel.
At least the dB numbers are more realistic

If it were all true, I would want one for a SBR PS90.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds great, but I am having a hard time buying those claims.  I would want to see some serious independent testing first.  If what they say is completely accurate and fully substantiated, everyone of my ARs would have one of those on it.

From the website:

The goal was to produce a full auto rated suppressor that was hearing safe and make it the most compact unit available anywhere.  AND, keep the price of the suppressor and tax stamp under 500.00 so that normal folks can afford it.

.223/5.56 caliber, 1/2-28 threading (others pending)
136dB at the shooters ear
8.4 oz. 3.9 inches long (3.2" added length to barrel)
1 1/8 inch in diameter
No blow back through the charging handle
Made from 416 Stainless
Full Auto Rated, 7" barrels and longer
FLASH HIDER machined into the end of the Canooter Valve
Custom Serial Numbers are available upon request.
These Canooter Valves will transfer to your NFA Dealer on a Form 3.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Somebody should ask what meter they used during development...  only 1 1/8" diameter???!!!!

It would be a little more believable if it was a lot thicker.  I've seen PhD say that in his testing internal volume helps with backpressure but length is what controls sound (not sure if he was talking about just muzzle numbers though).

Has anybody ever seen a Brevis metered at the ear?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To quote the great Gary M-Fin Hughes- "Full-Auto Rated just means the manufacturer will fix it when it breaks."

the dBs and internal volume are what I have a hard time believing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting.
View Quote
Yep.

Dont see how that could make that kind of number with no blow back.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Those are some bold claims.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Hearing safe and full auto rated for $260, eh?

Riiiight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Somebody should ask what meter they used during development...  only 1 1/8" diameter???!!!!

It would be a little more believable if it was a lot thicker.  I've seen PhD say that in his testing internal volume helps with backpressure but length is what controls sound (not sure if he was talking about just muzzle numbers though).

Has anybody ever seen a Brevis metered at the ear?
View Quote
The Griffin Optimus Micro is in this ballpark, but a simple one or two baffle moderator can't possibly meter this low.  The Sandman K or Omega 9k with more volume and three to six efficient baffles doesnt hit 136 on a 16" 556.

Volume through length is more effective due to fluid dynamics and residence time. Otherwise cans would be 1:1 cylinders or even spheres as those deliver the most enclosed volume per surface area.  A conical suppressor enclosure also has some minor strength to weight benefits, but as a practical matter a pipe with washers muffles 95% of noisy machines on the planet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#14]
"No blow back through the charging handle"

Can someone compare these to OSS suppressors?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was my first thought too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Isn't the new technology amazing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#18]
deleted for cleanup
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#19]
deleted for cleanup
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#20]
deleted for cleanup
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#21]
deleted for cleanup
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have their 5.8" and 9" all Ti suppressors in .30 cal.... I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet though...
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have their 5.8" and 9" all Ti suppressors in .30 cal.... I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet though...
View Quote
Is this sarcasm? I honestly can’t tell anymore...
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#24]
deleted for cleanup
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#25]
deleted for cleanup
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#26]
deleted for cleanup
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Somebody should ask what meter they used during development...
View Quote
One that maxxes at 136, I'd wager.  Or they forgot to mention that the metering was done with a .22 LR upper.  Or maybe they stuck the muzzle end through a hole in a full sheet of OSB.

I've built cans that small.  In fact, one of my most recent prototypes is the same length (4.08") with a similar reflex chamber size, although it's 1.312" OD instead of 1.125".  Mine is fully welded 17-4 with the baffles forming the tube for maximum internal volume.  It is hearing safe on a .22 WMR with 10" barrel, but still has a decent pop.  I intend this design for .22 WMR, 5.7x28, .22 TCM and other small capacity .22 or 6mm caliber cartridges.  While it will hold together on a 5.56 SBR, I imagine when I actually get around to metering it when I get my new B&K 4148 mic, the dB are gonna be in the mid 140s.  So, similar length but a good bit more ID, and nowhere near hearing safe with shorty 5.56.  That's a whole lot more gas volume and uncorking pressure.

Yeah, I'm definitely in the camp that says too good to be true.  A can this size will take the edge off, but is not going to be hearing safe on 5.56 SBR.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#28]
The specs look too good to be true.

How do they manage a 7" minimum barrel length with a stainless steel blast baffle when other suppressors using Stellite or Inconel have 10"+ minimums?

How does something smaller in diameter and shorter in length than the Sandman-K offer better performance?

How long has this company been in business, and what are the odds of another Huntertown Arms scenario?

It looks good in photos and on paper, but color me sceptical. It might be a good option for a 5.7x28, though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

One that maxxes at 136, I'd wager.  Or they forgot to mention that the metering was done with a .22 LR upper.  Or maybe they stuck the muzzle end through a hole in a full sheet of OSB.

I've built cans that small.  In fact, one of my most recent prototypes is the same length (4.08") with a similar reflex chamber size, although it's 1.312" OD instead of 1.125".  Mine is fully welded 17-4 with the baffles forming the tube for maximum internal volume.  It is hearing safe on a .22 WMR with 10" barrel, but still has a decent pop.  I intend this design for .22 WMR, 5.7x28, .22 TCM and other small capacity .22 or 6mm caliber cartridges.  While it will hold together on a 5.56 SBR, I imagine when I actually get around to metering it when I get my new B&K 4148 mic, the dB are gonna be in the mid 140s.  So, similar length but a good bit more ID, and nowhere near hearing safe with shorty 5.56.  That's a whole lot more gas volume and uncorking pressure.

Yeah, I'm definitely in the camp that says too good to be true.  A can this size will take the edge off, but is not going to be hearing safe on 5.56 SBR.
View Quote
Quoted:

How do they manage a 7" minimum barrel length with a stainless steel blast baffle when other suppressors using Stellite or Inconel have 10"+ minimums?

How does something smaller in diameter and shorter in length than the Sandman-K offer better performance?

How long has this company been in business, and what are the odds of another Huntertown Arms scenario?

It looks good in photos and on paper, but color me sceptical. It might be a good option for a 5.7x28, though.
View Quote
What about that weight tho? Stainless can, that is 8.4oz? Seems
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What about that weight tho? Stainless can, that is 8.4oz? Seems
View Quote
Mine is 7.6 oz

But, again, I saved weight and increased volume by making the baffle skirts form the tube.  And I'm not making claims of 30 dB reduction with a centerfire rifle cartridge from a mini can.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mine is 7.6 oz

https://i.imgur.com/5On74uL.jpg

But, again, I saved weight and increased volume by making the baffle skirts form the tube.  And I'm not making claims of 30 dB reduction with a centerfire rifle cartridge from a mini can.
View Quote
Hrmm... so I guess their 8.4oz claim is in the realm of reasonable. Only stainless can I have is a YHM Phantom 5.56 and all I know is that it's HEAVY!
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:09:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I agree as far as dB reduction claim.  The rest are totally plausible.

Quoted:How do they manage a 7" minimum barrel length with a stainless steel blast baffle when other suppressors using Stellite or Inconel have 10"+ minimums?
TBAC takedown 5.56 is 7" full auto rated with all stainless construction.  Just depends on how heavy you make it and how much erosion within so many rounds you consider acceptable.

Quoted:How does something smaller in diameter and shorter in length than the Sandman-K offer better performance?
Not impossible to do better, but I would go as far as to say it's probably impossible to get the performance he's claiming.

Quoted:How long has this company been in business, and what are the odds of another Huntertown Arms scenario?
6 years.  3 BBB complaints, all unanswered

Quoted:It looks good in photos and on paper, but color me sceptical. It might be a good option for a 5.7x28, though.
Pretty much.  Or .22 WMR or .22 TCM, the rounds I designed my mini for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Their claims for their integrally suppressed uppers seem a bit optimistic:

300 Blackout Subs117Db
300 Blackout Supersonic124Db
.223 / 5.56126Db
MilSpec testing protocol
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, I noticed that.  Claiming 120 db with 6.5 Creed as well.  Don't think so.

Perhaps Ken doesn't understand that meter calibration is important, or that just because a mic has the dB range doesn't mean it has the frequency range to pick up peak impulse SPL.  There are lots of mics for Bruhl & Kjaer, Larson & Davis or other premium meters which will pick up 170 dB, but won't get the peak impulse SPL of a gunshot, so your readings will be low.  I spent a lot of time researching before I decided which mics I should be on the lookout for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, I noticed that.  Claiming 120 db with 6.5 Creed as well.  Don't think so.

Perhaps Ken doesn't understand that meter calibration is important.
View Quote
But it says "MilSpec testing protocol"...

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

But it says "MilSpec testing protocol"...

View Quote
"Mil-Spec Testing" on that is about as believable as adding "Now made with real beef!"

It also looks like an FDE Tampon Applicator.....

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#37]
We could always ask the hard question: which meter are you using?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We could always ask the hard question: which meter are you using?
View Quote
They're all close enough, right?

I'd love to see a meter test for this suppressor from a reputable source. I love the idea of short and slim K cans, and at this price point I would buy a couple of them! The problem is that I don't believe their numbers at all, which calls into question any other claims they make.

Someone please prove to me that this is real!
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They're all close enough, right?

I'd love to see a meter test for this suppressor from a reputable source. I love the idea of short and slim K cans, and at this price point I would buy a couple of them! The problem is that I don't believe their numbers at all, which calls into question any other claims they make.

Someone please prove to me that this is real!
View Quote
I think all of the ratings are about 10 dB below the real figure.  I'd find 146 believable for the mini, 130 totally plausible for an integral 6.5 CM.

If I'm ever on my way to Alamosa, Pagosa, Durango, I'll take 160 and stop by, see what the deal is in person.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think all of the ratings are about 10 dB below the real figure.  I'd find 146 believable for the mini, 130 totally plausible for an integral 6.5 CM.

If I'm ever on my way to Alamosa, Pagosa, Durango, I'll take 160 and stop by, see what the deal is in person.
View Quote
As jefflebowski pointed out, it would be good to know what meter they are using. I also noticed they are only publishing the "at ear" numbers, and not at the muzzle. I wonder if these will be like the earlier OSS suppressors that were 150+ dB at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I laughed when I saw a review recently where they said "our meter measures the entire gun shot, not just the peak".  They literally were saying numbers under 80 DB for a rifle.  What is that, using an iPhone?  I've seen sound guys using their phones to gauge speaker volume at an event--can a phone mic even do that accurately??!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I need one of these for my rifle that exclusively uses the Vortex/Hornady Bullet-Cam rounds.
View Quote
I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere that I'm missing...
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#44]
They have been selling clamp on muzzle brakes for a while, I tried one on a Mosin and was disappointed.  Couldn't keep it straight and even shot it off once before I gave up on it.
I had no idea they made suppressors now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I was going to joke about a clamp on suppressor but wholly crap they have a method advertised to do that.

https://www.wittmachine.net/custom-clamp-on-threaded-adapter.html
Accepts many Suppressors on the market.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was going to joke about a clamp on suppressor but wholly crap they have a method advertised to do that.

https://www.wittmachine.net/custom-clamp-on-threaded-adapter.html
View Quote
What's the worst that could happen?

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Is there an adapter to clamp on a Huntertown can?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need one of these for my rifle that exclusively uses the Vortex/Hornady Bullet-Cam rounds.
Bullet-Cam was a fake product released on April Fool's Day
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#50]
i just got the email too about this can
got to say i'm interested
i love this guys brakes i have three of them and love every one
customer service has been really good too

i hope this is as good as he says cause hes always treated me well
in this day and age of bad customer service
word of mouth means everything
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top