Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2021 7:47:22 AM EDT
6 months ago I put in two Form-4s (paper - no choice) for a Transferable MG and suppressor.  Still nothing!

Anyone know if they will try to close out the back-log of jailed paper Form-4s ahead of the line or will we go to the back with all resources focusing on e-file?

Link Posted: 12/17/2021 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The E-Forms will be faster, and everyone will be super butt hurt about it.

Remember when the paper form 4-s through SS could be "fast tracked," I think it was as an individual or maybe a 1 RP trust.....and everyone got super mad and the ATF said, well you guys can all wait the 10 months, even though we could have done a bunch of these in 2.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#2]
and atf said don't cancel your current pending form 4s and try to resubmit as eform 4s or it will tie them up longer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 cans still pending from February/March 2021 I believe.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one at six months and two I bought in September for the SiCo lower offer...I expect EVERY (2-3 SBRs and a few more cans) EForm1 and 4 I submit in the next few weeks to be approved before the three above are completed.  Maybe this time next year, all of the paper forms will be completed. ...I believe we asked for this (EForms), so we should be happy with a little more of a delay???
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#5]
ATF cashed my Silencer Shop "Check" on July 30, 2021 for a DeadAir Mask.
Trust submitted July 14.

Link Posted: 12/17/2021 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#6]
We'll know pretty soon but I'm guessing the people who get their eform 4's in very early will likely be getting them back very fast, possibly as short as a week or two. Supposedly eforms and paper forms has dedicated staff for each, so if you're one of the first to submit electronically it could be on an examiner's desk almost immediately.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Are e forms work from home friendly?
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are e forms work from home friendly?
View Quote

You mean for ATF staff? That's an interesting question. They will still be accepting physical fingerprint cards with the new system, so not 100% I would have to assume.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a .22 Ruger suppressor at the LGS in February and the check was cashed a week later.  Still waiting.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought a .22 Ruger suppressor at the LGS in February and the check was cashed a week later.  Still waiting.
View Quote

They no longer approve then cash the check. Now they cash the check and sit on it for a while.

I hope your submission comes back soon! My longest was 13 months of agony.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve had a paper F4 that’s been pending since 3/18/21
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I was talking to my local shop's compliance guy. He said the main reason for increases in wait times aside from pre/post Biden election buying surges, is all the trusts. He said the ATF told him every time someone submits a trust, that inspector has to read every word of the trust document and it slows things way down overall. It's why the individual forms were so fast for a while, because there's no large volume of contract text they have to read. He said the ATF would really like people to stop doing these one shot trusts with only one person on them. You can easily transfer your stuff to a relative after you die with a form 5 for free.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#13]
In theory because most people doing e-forms now, paper should get caught up....in practice expect the worst and hope for the best.  This is from a guy with a paper form 4 trust pending Jan of this year...I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll have it for Christmas :/
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a F4 come back right at a year last week.  Probably will see a couple more stamps approved next month.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've had a paper F4 that's been pending since 3/18/21
View Quote
I've had one since middle of May. And I spotted and error that will have to be corrected but I have to wait till they reach out to me.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was talking to my local shop's compliance guy. He said the main reason for increases in wait times aside from pre/post Biden election buying surges, is all the trusts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I was talking to my local shop's compliance guy. He said the main reason for increases in wait times aside from pre/post Biden election buying surges, is all the trusts.

Your LGS compliance guy has no idea what causes increased wait times.
It's volume of forms. Period.
Over the last ten years the majority of my F4's were trusts. Individuals and Trusts took the same amount of time for approval.

He said the ATF told him every time someone submits a trust, that inspector has to read every word of the trust document and it slows things way down overall.

The Examiner has a checklist of whats required in each state for a valid trust. It doesn't take but a few minutes to verify the validity of each trust.

It's why the individual forms were so fast for a while, because there's no large volume of contract text they have to read.

Yndividual forms had one background check. No difference than the one background check on a single member trust. Those trusts with multiple members DID experience delays because there was a greater likelihood of FBI delaying one or more members.

He said the ATF would really like people to stop doing these one shot trusts with only one person on them.

Oddly, ATF doesn't get to decide how people apply. I'm sure they would love it if no one applied period. Fuck what they would prefer.

You can easily transfer your stuff to a relative after you die with a form 5 for free.

Maybe Jesus could or Chuck Norris......but I guarantee YOU aren't going to transfer jack squat after you die.

Transfers to a beneficiary are tax free, but that's not the best reason to apply using a trust.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Its been 230 days since the alphabet boys cashed my check.

Form 4 trust (non single shot) from the Silencer Shop.

Called March 1st and the nice lady told me its "pending".

Edit to add:
I'm the only one on the trust, other than a family member I named to be beneficiary when I assume room temperature.
BTW, he was just approved 3 weeks ago for his can via Silencer Co.

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Edit to add:
I'm the only one on the trust, other than a family member I named to be beneficiary when I assume room temperature.

View Quote

Your only 2/3’s into your wait…

Is this your first stamp?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your only 2/3’s into your wait…

Is this your first stamp?
View Quote

First.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

First.
View Quote

Welcome to the hobby.

Just forget about it for four more months.
I know that’s difficult. (Buy ammo and magazines!)

You could go buy a can and eform 4 it while you wait.
They might all be approved around the same time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Edit to add:

View Quote

Still pending as of 18th.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've got a similar paper form in the same spot. I'm regularly seeing 400 day approvals on reddit now.  I've given up getting it anytime soon.  I was hopeful for the eform system, have one from early February, but now that the ATF is getting to the mid January ones, they're slowing WAY down and we're seeing 100 day approvals already creeping in and I expect that number to keep going up.  I think they assigned some of the people to eforms, but not that many.  Once they get to the end of the paper form backlog, then I think the whole system will get rather quick.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit to add:

I wouldn't worry about it until August man.  

My check was cashed mid May 2021.  I don't expect anything until June.

My first can was 10 months.  This one will take longer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#24]
My last paper form 4 was right at 320 days. I got the can in March. Hang in there and buy another one and eform it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#25]
My check was cashed mid May. I was hoping to have it by Memorial Day. It's looking more like maybe by July 4th.
Paper form 4 trust
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Called this past monday (7-18) and was (of course) still pending...

I guess it will be 13 months...
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 2:50:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Still waiting on a paper form 4.....

14 months now.....

Shit....
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Still waiting on a paper form 4.....

14 months now.....

Shit....
View Quote

14 1/2 months on a Form 4 trust paper transfer here.  Still well under the 20 months that the last transfer took.  The presently pending transfer is for a .22 silencer that I bought on a whim (and for less than $100).  As I already have a .22 silencer, I'm taking the wait rather apathetically, though should probably have some level of outrage.  The system should be first come, first served; regardless of filing format.  The pretty girls should not get to take cuts in line.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

14 1/2 months on a Form 4 trust paper transfer here.  Still well under the 20 months that the last transfer took.  The presently pending transfer is for a .22 silencer that I bought on a whim (and for less than $100).  As I already have a .22 silencer, I'm taking the wait rather apathetically, though should probably have some level of outrage.  The system should be first come, first served; regardless of filing format.  The pretty girls should not get to take cuts in line.

View Quote

Ya think the BATF would put a rush job on the paper before switching to the E-Forms.

Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ya think the BATF would put a rush job on the paper before switching to the E-Forms.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happened over in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (for patents - I've no idea about trademarks) - a government agency that is similar in that there are Examiners who review Applications for approval - was a number of years ago they internally would scan the (paper) applications which would then go to Examiners (many who work remotely and did so long before COVID-19 was invented and let loose).  For the last several years, instead what the USPTO now does is allow paper filing, but at a significant surcharge over e-filed applications.  I suspect that the internal scanning process was expensive and possibly was error prone.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What happened over in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (for patents - I've no idea about trademarks) - a government agency that is similar in that there are Examiners who review Applications for approval - was a number of years ago they internally would scan the (paper) applications which would then go to Examiners (many who work remotely and did so long before COVID-19 was invented and let loose).  For the last several years, instead what the USPTO now does is allow paper filing, but at a significant surcharge over e-filed applications.  I suspect that the internal scanning process was expensive and possibly was error prone.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

All I know is they charge me $200 bucks for a constitutional right, then they make me run through hoops AND wait over a year for an item that already bought and paid for.

What next, poll taxes (again).?
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All I know is they charge me $200 bucks for a constitutional right, then they make me run through hoops AND wait over a year for an item that already bought and paid for.

What next, poll taxes (again).?
View Quote

Your other options are to not buy one or risk a decade in prison for building one anyway.

It's better to just buy a new NFA item every 2-3 weeks so they keep coming in on a rolling approval. It's expensive but its less painful that way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I just got a eForms/paper Form 4 batch approval, paper form was 13 months and the eForm was 2.5 months lol
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just got a eForms/paper Form 4 batch approval, paper form was 13 months and the eForm was 2.5 months lol
View Quote

I hoping next month will be the one, of course it might be another 30 days for the stamp and paperwork to actually be mailed. LOL
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#35]
13 months as of yesterday and nothing..
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Another thing that the US Patent and Trademark Office does for patent applications is that if a patent application has at least one inventor who is 65 yo or older or is terminally ill, the application will get "expedited" examination, which apparently does get an application reviewed ahead of others to some extent.

If the BATFE adopted a similar expedited examination process; with regard to silencers you'd probably hear more people saying at funerals, "At least he went quietly".
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
13 months as of yesterday and nothing..
View Quote

Yeah it's a fucking joke at this point.  They don't give a fuck.  Our representatives don't give a fuck.  Like over a year is bull shit....imagine getting transfered for work or something and having to start over.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#38]
364 days today. *Still* pending.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

UPDATE: Got a phone message from my Dealer last night.  He's been out of town for work at his day time job the last several weeks and my approved Form 4 came in during his time away.  So the transfer took right around 14 months.  Getting a time slot to finish the delivery to me is the next task.  Our state does not permit a Dealer to mail the buyer their silencer per a ruling from our Attorney General.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

UPDATE: Got a phone message from my Dealer last night.  He's been out of town for work at his day time job the last several weeks and my approved Form 4 came in during his time away.  So the transfer took right around 14 months.  Getting a time slot to finish the delivery to me is the next task.  Our state does not permit a Dealer to mail the buyer their silencer per a ruling from our Attorney General.

View Quote

14 months.

What a crock.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I submitted 9 e-files for silencers for 9 different customers in late February '22 and not one of them has been approved. Another dealer near me submitted a lot more than I did just before and hasn't had a single approval yet either. If e-forms are their primary focus now they are failing miserably. 90 days? We're coming up on twice that in a few weeks as far as my e-files go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I submitted 9 e-files for silencers for 9 different customers in late February '22 and not one of them has been approved. Another dealer near me submitted a lot more than I did just before and hasn't had a single approval yet either. If e-forms are their primary focus now they are failing miserably. 90 days? We're coming up on twice that in a few weeks as far as my e-files go.
View Quote
When I picked up my paper filed can a couple of months ago, the dealer there told me that they are seeing <90 days on form 4's and a couple of weeks on form 1's (eFile).

Nick
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When I picked up my paper filed can a couple of months ago, the dealer there told me that they are seeing <90 days on form 4's and a couple of weeks on form 1's (eFile).
Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nick

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.”
? L.P. Hartley, The Go-Between
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nick
View Quote

I wouldn't trust that dealer to tell you what time of day it was.
While the earliest eForm 4's were taking close to 90 days, that ended pretty damn quick.
An FFL/SOT doesn't file eForm 1's either.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I wouldn't trust that dealer to tell you what time of day it was.
While the earliest eForm 4's were taking close to 90 days, that ended pretty damn quick.
An FFL/SOT doesn't file eForm 1's either.
View Quote
IIRC, that last was via feedback from customers, so anecdotal.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nick
View Quote

Probably very early submissions.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm waiting on two paper form 4's now. 15 months and 7 months.
The first is for a can from Silencer Shop (check cashed July 2021) and the second is for a RR M16 (check cashed March 2022). I'm hoping they group them for approval and am considering buying another can using e-forms to "help" it along
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The first is for a can from Silencer Shop (check cashed July 2021) and the second is for a RR M16 (check cashed March 2022). I'm hoping they group them for approval and am considering buying another can using e-forms to "help" it along
View Quote

Good luck, maybe 8 more cans?
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get your rep involved.  Most of the form 4 papers getting approved are from November and even some from December.  I check all the time, I have a 1/24 m16 pending.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Just out of curiosity, why are eform1s so much faster than eform4s? Anyone know?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top