Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2020 10:23:50 PM EDT
Quick question regarding POE cameras. I want to install a poe system and have the dvr unit in the living room at the tv but I don’t want to have to run every cat5 cable down the wall from the attic. Can a single cat5 run be used from the dvr up to something like a switch and then cables to each camera or am I going to have to bring each cameras cable down the wall to the unit? It would be a lot easier if I can run a single line.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes - You can get a POE Switch (That is powerful enough to power all the cams) and put it between the NVR and the cams...
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I am looking at this Reolink system:

Reolink

What 8 slot switch would you recommend? Or should I be looking at a different system that would work better for my need?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
And it should be cameras to switch, switch to router and router to NVR for the best config correct?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If your nerdy enough you can make it work with any 8 port poe switch that has atleast 100 watts of poe power output. The thing is all the cameras will have to be manually programmed for their IP addresses. The nvr will have to be programmed to receive those manual IP addresses. I don’t know if that system will do it. You will need to consult with others who have that. Some systems are easy to program and others are difficult.

The reason why you would have to manually program them is because the cameras are more than likely plug and play if directly plugged into the poe ports on the back of the nvr. When not directly plugged in, they will have to be programmed manually. I could do it but since I’m not there, I can’t explain it because I’m not good at instruction unless I had experience with that reolink system.

What may be easier is you install the nvr in a closet and have all the cables go back directly into the nvr. Then run 1 cat5e or cat6a cable from the nvr to the tv and then purchase a Vanco hdmi balun Kit. The balun kit will send the video signal from the hdmi output from the nvr to the TV.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your nerdy enough you can make it work with any 8 port poe switch that has atleast 100 watts of poe power output. The thing is all the cameras will have to be manually programmed for their IP addresses. The nvr will have to be programmed to receive those manual IP addresses. I don’t know if that system will do it. You will need to consult with others who have that. Some systems are easy to program and others are difficult.

What may be easier is you install the nvr in a closet and have all the cables go back directly into the nvr. Then run 1 cat5e or cat6a cable from the nvr to the tv and then purchase a Vanco hdmi balun Kit. The balun kit will send the video signal from the hdmi output from the nvr to the TV.
View Quote

Thank you. This might well be a workable option. If nothing else I could put the dvr unit in the attic and run a single down to the tv. I have easy accessible power there where I would have to wire an outlet into a closet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Using the blaun way, I would need to run a separate Ethernet line from router to dvr box correct?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank you. This might well be a workable option. If nothing else I could put the dvr unit in the attic and run a single down to the tv. I have easy accessible power there where I would have to wire an outlet into a closet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your nerdy enough you can make it work with any 8 port poe switch that has atleast 100 watts of poe power output. The thing is all the cameras will have to be manually programmed for their IP addresses. The nvr will have to be programmed to receive those manual IP addresses. I don't know if that system will do it. You will need to consult with others who have that. Some systems are easy to program and others are difficult.

Heat is not your DVR's friend. Cool ambient temps and plenty of ventilation make for happy reliable DVR's.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
That is what I was afraid of, that’s why I haven’t already done it that way. This should be fairly straightforward but man planning this out is a pain in the ass
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am looking at this Reolink system:

Reolink

What 8 slot switch would you recommend? Or should I be looking at a different system that would work better for my need?
View Quote

I have a POE Reolink system. I used a switch in between my nvr and cameras also. But i ran individual lines for each camera. 8 cameras all accessible are one time.

I ran cat6 while building so it was much easier.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#11]
So doing comparison, thoughts on these 2 systems

Reolink

Amcrest
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#12]
You can plug the cameras to the POE switch then the NVR and router to the same switch.

From there your router will assign the IP address to the camera through DHCP and the NVR should be able to see these cameras.

I usually once I get access to the cameras I change their network configuration to have static IP this way they are set and easy to remeber which is which.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can plug the cameras to the POE switch then the NVR and router to the same switch.

From there your router will assign the IP address to the camera through DHCP and the NVR should be able to see these cameras.

I usually once I get access to the cameras I change their network configuration to have static IP this way they are set and easy to remeber which is which.
View Quote

I use address reservations in my DHCP server for all my cameras.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Hello, with the permission of the owner of the subject, I am also curious about this topic.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hello, with the permission of the owner of the subject, I am also curious about this topic.
View Quote

Head over to Ipcamtalk forums, you can read hundreds of threads on the subject.

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I simply drilled a hole in the attic in the top plate of the wall and fed my cables down inside the wall and out of a "pass-through" faceplate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top