Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2018 12:01:29 PM EDT
In short: I’ve got cctv cable ran to the location where the dvr will be located and boxes mounted in the soffets around the exterior of the house. Had all this done when we built, but waited to install cameras until we were done wit the the house.
I need a power supply, cameras and a dvr suggestion. 3 exterior cameras and will probably add a couple interiors. Not looking to break the bank. Currently sitting through the pinned post on camera basics, but if anyone could suggest some hardware it would help me narrow the search and I would appreciate it.
Features I would like:
-WiFi access via mobile
-low light ability of exterior cameras. I’m out here without neighbors and have very little ambient light.
-DVR storage of 10-14 days should suffice
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In short: I’ve got cctv cable ran to the location where the dvr will be located and boxes mounted in the soffets around the exterior of the house. Had all this done when we built, but waited to install cameras until we were done wit the the house.
I need a power supply, cameras and a dvr suggestion. 3 exterior cameras and will probably add a couple interiors. Not looking to break the bank. Currently sitting through the pinned post on camera basics, but if anyone could suggest some hardware it would help me narrow the search and I would appreciate it.
Features I would like:
-WiFi access via mobile
-low light ability of exterior cameras. I’m out here without neighbors and have very little ambient light.
View Quote
When you say CCTV cable, are you talking about RG59 siamese cable(coax and power cables bonded together) or Ethernet/cat6 cable?   If the former, why would you run wire for an analog system on a new build instead of Ethernet for IP/POE cameras?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you say CCTV cable, are you talking about RG59 siamese cable(coax and power cables bonded together) or Ethernet/cat6 cable?   If the former, why would you run wire for an analog system on a new build instead of Ethernet for IP/POE cameras?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Features I would like:
-WiFi access via mobile
I'm looking for some clarification on this as well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Features I would like:
-WiFi access via mobile
I’m wondering if he means Siamese cable since he mentioned power supply but it just doesn’t make much sense to me why you would run wiring for an analog system on a new house construction.   It would be like wiring TV locations with composite video cables instead of HDMI cables.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I only recommend Samsung's because of the great customer service
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Blue Iris on a dell outlet computer if you have ethernet, otherwise coax go with a dahua nvr.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You can always add IR floodlights to add distance your cameras will see, just need matching wavelength of the camera.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#8]
This is what was ran. I had/have no idea of the current best options hence the reason I had a buddy help me run the stuff while we were building. If it’s not what I should have used, I can probably tie this stuff to the “right” stuff and fish it back though the wall, but this is what we used.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd probably try to pull Cat5E thru with the old wire as IP cameras are so much better than the old style BNC cameras.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd probably try to pull Cat5E thru with the old wire as IP cameras are so much better than the old style BNC cameras.
View Quote
I agree, if it’s possible pull through CAT5/6.  IP cameras are already so much better and that gap will only increase with time.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I agree, if it’s possible pull through CAT5/6.  IP cameras are already so much better and that gap will only increase with time.
View Quote
Again, not knowing what I was needing when we ran everything, we also ran Cat5 cable to the same room where the DVR will be kept. I’d have to go look but I believe I’ve got 3 line of Cat5 going into the room and 1 piece as a “jumper” between the future dvr location and where I hung the tv for live feed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Again, not knowing what I was needing when we ran everything, we also ran Cat5 cable to the same room where the DVR will be kept. I’d have to go look but I believe I’ve got 3 line of Cat5 going into the room and 1 piece as a “jumper” between the future dvr location and where I hung the tv for live feed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah what would I would do is pull individual CAT5e or CAT6 lines from the DVR( although with IP cameras it’s called a NVR) location to each of the camera locations.  Sounds like you can just use the existing Siamese cables to do that.   That’s really important part in the wiring and everything else just plugging things in in mounting them.  You also want to connect your NVR to your internet using Ethernet cable.  If you have your entire house networked to a switch  then you can just hook it up to your home network. Or, you can run a Cat5e/6 cable  directly from your NVR location to wherever your  Internet modem/router will be located and plug directly into it that way.   You don’t have to have it hooked up to the Internet but that’s the only way you’re going to get remote viewing through an app or to receive alerts.

As far as the route you have between where your NVR will be and your viewing tv/screen location,  if that route is shorter than 50 feet you can just run an HDMI cable.   Anything longer and I don’t know if it would work but there are other options such as wireless HDMI or HDMI over ethernet.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I just did the same thing.  I initially went with a Night Owl from Costco - the newer model.  It was $450.  2 cams were Wifi and the other 4 ran on Siamese cable.  The cameras were AWESOME quality (4k) and setup was simple.  Ran into problems trying to access the cams remotely - also, I didn't like not being able to pull up the cameras on any computer in the house, or on my phone.  The app was fairly terrible at least when I tried it.  Ended up returning these.

I now have gone with an Ubiquiti setup.  NVR is smaller, larger hard drive.  Cameras are good but not as high resolution.  Cameras are also more expensive.  However, it does everything that you would think needs to be done.  Can access over the web, and can view cams on any PC on the network.  Cameras are true IP cams and are POE, also can be set up as managed or solo.  I'm really liking the system, and am expanding now.  I think I will now couple it with a Google mesh network, I may not need to run cables all over the place - just to a POE switch, hooked into the mesh network.  Cams are very easy to setup - like 2 minutes each if that after the NVR is setup (which is super easy also).
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]
As far as your original question, what is your budget for all this as far as cameras and NVR?   Do you want a plug-n-play solution?

I have a Reolink system at two properties.  A Reolink 2TB NVR with four 4MP cameras is $450.  Additional cameras are $60 for the 4MP and $70 for 5MP.  4MP cameras do resolution of 1440p, so better than 1080p.  Everything is plug and play.  You’re not going to get 10-14 days of 24/7 recording with HD cameras without either turning down the resolution or frame rate or expanding storage.  Reolink NVR’s have a port on the back where you can plug in a second hard drive up to 4 TB.  That would probably get you to 10-14 days.  A 4TB surveillance rated hard drive will prob run you a little over $100.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can always add IR floodlights to add distance your cameras will see, just need matching wavelength of the camera.
View Quote
This is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As far as your original question, what is your budget for all this as far as cameras and NVR?   Do you want a plug-n-play solution?

I have a Reolink system at two properties.  A Reolink 2TB NVR with four 4MP cameras is $450.  Additional cameras are $60 for the 4MP and $70 for 5MP.  4MP cameras do resolution of 1440p, so better than 1080p.  Everything is plug and play.  You’re not going to get 10-14 days of 24/7 recording with HD cameras without either turning down the resolution or frame rate or expanding storage.  Reolink NVR’s have a port on the back where you can plug in a second hard drive up to 4 TB.  That would probably get you to 10-14 days.  A 4TB surveillance rated hard drive will prob run you a little over $100.
View Quote
If I could stay in the $1000 or under range that would be preferred. The guy that is giving me some guidance used to do high end installs so he has a habit of sending me links to setups that are touching the 2K mark, which is more than I’m wanting to spend.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Just put in these at work using existing coax wiring.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1386557-REG/hikvision_ds_2ce56h1t_itm_3_6mm_5mp_hd_exir_outdoor.html

Incredible image on coax for only 80 a piece.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I ran coax then adapters to the cameras and 18-2 wire for power.

I got a used 24 channel industrial power supply from ebay.

I use Honeywell dome cameras they work great in low light without IR, bought used from ebay.

Some Chinese 4 channel DVR that I can access through the internet, it sends me emails when motion is detected.

This setup has worked great for 11 years, pretty good considering everything but the DVR was used and the extreme heat the stuff has to put up with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top