Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2022 3:21:30 PM EDT
My wife and I are discussing installing, or having installed, window security film (like the 3M product).

I'm just curious if anyone out there has put it on their exterior windows, and whether you  did the installation yourselves or had a professional company do it?  If you install it yourself, how easy or difficult was it?
If you have it installed on your windows  how satisfied are you with it?

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife and I are discussing installing, or having installed, window security film (like the 3M product).

I'm just curious if anyone out there has put it on their exterior windows, and whether you  did the installation yourselves or had a professional company do it?  If you install it yourself, how easy or difficult was it?
If you have it installed on your windows  how satisfied are you with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZy4DJHM_fs

View Quote

My suspicions are always raised when a promotion like that doesn't compare like with like.

Why not use the baseball bat in the tempered glass, why not use the punch on the glass with film?

Even the best security film is only good at doing what it does, what's stopping the whole, filmed-together, pane of glass from just being pushed in? Seems the weak link is going to be the edges.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
As I understand it, the 3M film also requires a bead of some type of “sealant” around the edges to truly lock the film to glass and make it nearly bulletproof.  All of the armories I’ve worked in the past few years have a reflective film with a thick bead of this sealant around it.  It’s supposedly blast-resistant/Category 5 hurricane resistant.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
had the 3m put in and it works as advertised
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
had the 3m put in and it works as advertised
View Quote

I can't be the only curious as to what you've experienced. That's a statement begging for a story.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I had it put on the windows at my work. The security stuff is pretty thick, but once it's on you don't notice it. The film is applied to the interior side and left to dry for a couple weeks. The the installer comes back and seals/glues all the edges. I was told if someone ever wanted it removed, your better off just to get a new window.

Like anything else security related, your just making things a little more difficult for someone trying to get in, and buying time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I looked into a DIY job a few years back. I wasn’t able to find it for purchase by itself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As I understand it, the 3M film also requires a bead of some type of “sealant” around the edges to truly lock the film to glass and make it nearly bulletproof.  All of the armories I’ve worked in the past few years have a reflective film with a thick bead of this sealant around it.  It’s supposedly blast-resistant/Category 5 hurricane resistant.  YMMV.
View Quote

Yes, you need the bonding agent (thick bead) or it is a waste, DuPont 950???  Something like that.

Looked it up.

DOW 995

Related link

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have access to videos or test results for this stuff in a residential application?

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!!

OP do a quick search, I have posted about this topic a couple times.  The window with or without film is only as strong as the frame and mounting means.  Other issue is that there are TONS of SHITTY installers out there who DO NOT know what they are doing.  If you go to film manufacturers websites, most have links to legitimate installers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, you need the bonding agent (thick bead) or it is a waste, DuPont 950???  Something like that.

Looked it up.

DOW 995

Related link

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looked it up.

DOW 995

Related link

Yup! That’s the stuff!
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know where one can order a DIY kit for 3M security window film?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
If you use the search there are several threads on this with good info.  I see tons of improperly installed window film all the time. Two important considerations: 1) film is only as good as the install, if there is no frame bonding mechanism all it does is hold the glass together so that it all gets punched in together, 2) film cannot fix cheap and weak framed windows, good film with weak windows and frames gains you little to nothing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#13]
www.buydecofilm.com.  Easy to install.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top